VC's definitive list of albums, A- Z (VOTING CLOSED)

brandy

So I was thinking of holding a voting for the board's favourite albums starting from A to Z, where members come in and post their favourite albums starting with the letter A, all the way to Z.

I will make a post announcing that voting is on for a letter (for instance the letter A), and members come in and post their favourite album starting with the letter A (for instance Abbey Road by the Beatles).
Of course, feel free to also include short descriptions of why you picked that album, and also which albums came close to being picked.

After 48 hours of voting, I will compile all the votes and see which one comes out on top.

Results:

A: American Football - American Football
B: The Bends - Radiohead
C: Clarity - Jimmy Eat World
D: Damaged - Black Flag
E: Everything Sucks - The Descendents
F: F♯ A♯ ∞ - Godspeed You! Black Emperor
G: Goddamnit - Alkaline Trio
H: Hello Bastards - Lifetime
I: In The Aeroplane Over The Sea - Neutral Milk Hotel
J: Jane Doe - Converge
K: Kid A - Radiohead
L: London Calling - The Clash
M: Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness - Smashing Pumpkins
N: Nevermind - Nirvana
O: OK Computer - Radiohead
P: Pneuma - Moving Mountains
Q: The Queen Is Dead - The Smiths
R: Reinventing Axl Rose - Against Me!
S: Sgt. Peppers And The Lonely Hearts Club Band - The Beatles
T: Tell All Your Friends - Taking Back Sunday
U: Unknown Pleasures - Joy Division
V: The Velvet Underground & Nico - The Velvet Underground
W: Weezer - Weezer
X: XO - Elliott Smith
Y: You Fail Me - Converge
Z: Zen Arcade - Husker Du

Numbers/Symbols: () - Sigur Ros

Soundtracks/Compilations: The Brave Little Toaster

Live Album: Unplugged In New York - Nirvana
Band Compilations: Complete Discography - Minor Threat

Rules:

- ONE VOTE PER PERSON. vote for your favourite album starting with the letter we are voting on for the day!

- only full length albums. no compilations, no EPs, no singles and no live albums allowed.

- only official album names allowed (eg. no 'black album', 'blue album' etc)

- there will be 29 rounds of voting, one for each letter, another one for albums starting with numbers, and 2 more for live albums and compilations/soundtracks. I'll change the topic title to include which letter is being voted on for the day.

- for albums starting with 'The' (eg. PBTT's The Lack Long After) and 'A', the first letter of the second word will be considered instead. So in this case, for The Lack Long After, it should be voted for during letter L.

- please do NOT create multiple accounts just to vote for an album you like.

- voting begins for a specific letter only after I make a post which specifies so.

- each letter will have a 48 hour voting time slot

- all votes after the time-slots are over will not be considered.

- in the case of a tie, a revote (for 24 hours) ensues in which voters can only vote for the albums tied for top spot. if after the 24 hour revote, there is still a tie, the NEXT one random vote decides the winner.

I am also down for this. You could consider the top 3 or even 5. Maybe the top album gets a few a well written description by one of the voters, or maybe take a few voter descriptions?

Also tie breakers could just go into another, shorter round of voting, where people that voted for other records can choose between the 2?

I am also down for this. You could consider the top 3 or even 5. Maybe the top album gets a few a well written description by one of the voters, or maybe take a few voter descriptions?

Also tie breakers could just go into another, shorter round of voting, where people that voted for other records can choose between the 2?

Well yea that's what I was thinking of for the tie-breaker. Hold another round of voting where people can just vote between the 2.

On considering the top 3 or top 5, what do you guys think?

I personally prefer having just one outright winner. But if most people would want a top 3 or 5, then so be it!

Thanks for the suggestions so far. As Alkaline Trio said, keep em coming!

I have a few questions for you guys:

- Do you guys think 24 hours is enough for voting? Or should it be 48 hours?

- Would you prefer one outright winner, a top 3, or top 5?

- Compilations. Allowed or not? I would think no. (Therefore, Alkaline Trio's self titled for instance, would not be eligible to vote for in the 'A' category)

This is going to turn into a circle jerk, of over hyped bands and I love it, but I think there should also be a music sample and if users enjoyed the music sample they upvote the post most up upvotes wins

Thanks, but this would make it more complicated.. People might be more tempted to create new accounts because they can both upvote AND downvote posts.

And also, there will be debate as to which song should be used for the sample, for the "overhyped" albums especially.

I just think it has the potential to cause more problems/complications after much thought. But thanks for the suggestion anyway.

I haven't seen any suggestions in a while. So unless there's something else, I'll start this at 12 midnight EST (in about 9 hours time).

Also, no one posted any suggestions about the 24 hour or 48 hour time-slot for voting so I'll just set it at 24 hours.

And there will be just one outright winner I guess, which will be determined by the most amount of votes.

In the case of a tie-breaker, a revote will ensue, in which voters can only vote for the albums tied for top spot.

Hopefully more people participate so this will turn into something fun!

I haven't seen any suggestions in a while. So unless there's something else, I'll start this at 12 midnight EST (in about 9 hours time).

Also, no one posted any suggestions about the 24 hour or 48 hour time-slot for voting so I'll just set it at 24 hours.

And there will be just one outright winner I guess, which will be determined by the most amount of votes.

In the case of a tie-breaker, a revote will ensue, in which voters can only vote for the albums tied for top spot.

Hopefully more people participate so this will turn into something fun!

So how will suggesting an album to vote on go?

What about all of those great albums that start with a number?

Right on, overlooked that! We could either make it such that there is a separate voting category for albums starting with numbers/symbols.

Or we could just make it such that '1' would be under 'o', and '2' would be under 't' etc.

I would prefer the latter though. What do you all think?

I just thought of it because I'm looking through my library on my phone and after Z is # so we could just have a category like that that covers all albums that start with a number. I gotta get my vote in for 'The 1975.' I think it should only go under the category of the letter if it is written as such. I'd rather do that than put 'The 1975' under N. But whatever works.

I just thought of it because I'm looking through my library on my phone and after Z is # so we could just have a category like that that covers all albums that start with a number. I gotta get my vote in for 'The 1975.' I think it should only go under the category of the letter if it is written as such. I'd rather do that than put 'The 1975' under N. But whatever works.

Your idea could work too, and I think there'll be other people with similar sentiments to you as well. I'll update the OP with that when voting commences. I'm dead tired and hitting the sack for now.