VC's definitive list of albums, A- Z (VOTING CLOSED)

brandy

I find that we listen to a lot of the same artists and genres.  I can generally relate to what you're jamming, at least more than 98% of VC users.  Makes me think I should perhaps listen to a Built To Spill song at some point.

Are you fucking serious? Listen to Perfect from Now On right now.

I also agree with both of you a lot quite a bit *hugs*

Russian Circles - Geneva

This single album kicked my musical taste in a brand new direction & is responsible for all post-rock related bands I now listen to.

This is a great pick.  Fun fact about Geneva - I didn't really "get it" until the year before last.  I fell in love with Russian Circles via Station, so I was greatly anticipating Geneva.  When it was released, I ordered it and maybe spun it once or twice before shelving it for quite some time.  It wasn't until Empros was released that I went back and revisited it, only to discover how much more that it has to offer.  Those string segments are just bliss, on Melee and Hexed All.  I'm really glad I was able to appreciate the album -- for a while there I considered it a weak link in an otherwise splendid discography, but now I'm just all the more confident that RC can do no wrong.

Are you fucking serious? Listen to Perfect from Now On right now.

Yeah, I'm way behind.  I see your guys' posts in a lot of ambient / post-rock / etc. threads.  And those are the topics I find myself active in, more often than not, but that certainly doesn't mean that I don't enjoy or appreciate artists and genres that fall into the more "straightforward" side of things, if that makes any sense. (i.e. indie rock, alternative, etc.)  Built To Spill are one of those groups that I've been meaning to check out for ages, but just haven't gotten around to.  I'll have to fix that.

Goat%2BThe%2BJesus%2BLizard.png

The Jesus Lizard - Goat

Honorable Mentions:

Gorilla Biscuits - S/T

Neurosis - Given To The Rising

Bongzilla - Gateway

Circle Jerks - Group Sex

Dead Kennedys - Give Me Convenience or Give Me Death

Ufomammut - Godlike Snake

Sandrider - Godhead

Can't tell if sarcastic or not. I hope it is.

No sarcasm. The best music tells a story. It's impossible to do with out words. Instrumental music is just noise. Might be interesting sounding noise, but that's it.

I don't care if people want to listen to that stuff but I don't get how it can be considered superior to the best albums with lyrics. Don't the lyrics bring a lot to the table? It's at least half of the value in any album to me, maybe more.

No sarcasm. The best music tells a story. It's impossible to do with out words. Instrumental music is just noise. Might be interesting sounding noise, but that's it.

I don't care if people want to listen to that stuff but I don't get how it can be considered superior to the best albums with lyrics. Don't the lyrics bring a lot to the table? It's at least half of the value in any album to me, maybe more.

200x200px-ZC-686fc95b_bert.gif

I just lurked through the last few pages and noticed some errors, the answers should have been..

E: Entertainment! - Gang of Four (with a highly Honorable Mention to the Embrace S/T)

F: Fuel for the Hate Game - HWM (with a Honorable Mention to Frigid Forms Sell - Milemarker)

Somebody already mentioned the S/T Gorilla Biscuits 12" for G, backed.

Not sure when i am going to pop back in, but to jump the gun H is a solid Hello Bastards by Lifetime. 

This is the stupidest thing I have ever read on VC, and that's saying a lot.