VC's definitive list of albums, A- Z (VOTING CLOSED)

brandy

The fact that people are comparing post rock shit to classical is laughable. Yeah there are some good purely instrumental bands, but they still are shit compared to composers like Mozart and Bach.

It was funny to see the people be all 'LOL you dumb bro' because Lebowski put an opinion and his reasoning behind it. Lyrics mean a lot to him, there is nothing wrong or right about that at all. Being all 'hahahaha stupid.gif' just makes you look like a jackass.

My pick for G

chateau_gramparsons.jpg

I don't care what style of music you like, but you just lumped yourself in with the people you accused when you used the term "post rock shit".

It was funny to see the people be all 'LOL you dumb bro' because Lebowski put an opinion and his reasoning behind it. Lyrics mean a lot to him, there is nothing wrong or right about that at all. Being all 'hahahaha stupid.gif' just makes you look like a jackass.

I think we've all covered and acknowledged that opinions are fair game. More power to you and whatever you prefer listening to, really. But saying "lyrics are important to me" ≠ "a song can't tell a story without lyrics". One statement is an opinion, and one is just incorrect. That's all I'm getting at.

I think we've all covered and acknowledged that opinions are fair game. More power to you and whatever you prefer listening to, really. But saying "lyrics are important to me" ≠ "a song can't tell a story without lyrics". One statement is an opinion, and one is just incorrect. That's all I'm getting at.

I said if anyone wanted to try and prove me wrong, I would listen. No one posted an instrumental song with an explanation of the story it told, only a full album (which is too much to listen to on a whim).

Oh, yeah. Sorry for the confusion. If you wanted a literal story - you know, for the folks who need things spelled out to them - I guess you could turn to Taylor Swift. She'll spin you a tale or two that'll break your heart right down the center. Or there's Blink-182, who weave epic stories of fucking dogs in the ass and grandparents who shit their pants. All of that is indeed too much to convey through instrumental bands, correct.

I said if anyone wanted to try and prove me wrong, I would listen. No one posted an instrumental song with an explanation of the story it told, only a full album (which is too much to listen to on a whim).

You're asking for something we can't give you honestly, you can't get an actually story, instrumental music is meant to evict emotion and can paint a mental image if you're willing to work with it, I know that when I listen to instrumental music I can get camera shots and angles almost like a film score in my head, so here's an example:

Someone is very Ill a trip to the hospital is life or death, they call 911 and the ambulance trys to help her and she's struggling  and struggling they need to get her to the OR stat. So they rush here through floor after floor, hallway after hallway, at about 1:24 they're operating and trying their best, the family is anxiously waiting in the lobby and all seems well. Until at 2:06 they lose her and begin scrambling to recover her they try as hard as the can harder, and harder, 3:17 all is well.

This is stupid I know but I tried now you just have to open your mind.

There's an interview Explosions in the Sky did once where they basically said they have their own meaning behind songs, but they are open to the idea that the listeners create their own interpretations. I tried to find it, but I cant. You're asking for something we can't deliver, and you know that. Even if I gave you an exact story behind Hymn to the Immortal Wind, I still don't think you would be satisfied because there aren't lyrics to spell everything out for you, to create that emotion for you.

Sorry for giving you an entire album to work with because, you know, everyone gets the full feel for any band, artist, or genre by just one song.

and I don't think "'LOL you dumb bro" as sacredheart so eloquently spoke for all of us.

Yeah, so we should try and get back on topic.

But, then again, since I'm here...

I love instrumental music. It has advantages and disadvantages over lyrical music. Exactly the same way that digital music has advantages and disadvantages over analog music. That said, I'm not a big fan of post-rock. Post-rock, to me, just sounds like music without lyrics, as opposed to instrumental music. Confused? Alright, post-rock, sounds like music that had lyrics at some point, and the band scrapped them and just performed the song as an instrumental piece. Outside of a few Mogwai tracks, it just doesn't hook me the way other music does. Lyrics, or no lyrics are beside the point.

That's the opinion part.

Derek nails the black-and-white fact part here.

"Lyrics are important to me" ≠ "a song can't tell a story without lyrics". One statement is an opinion, and one is just incorrect.

Can't we just be angry at the people who voted American Football over The Beatles?

and I don't think "'LOL you dumb bro" as sacredheart so eloquently spoke for all of us.

Yeah, I wanted to reiterate that I don't think this either.  Lebowski is hardly the first person I've met or conversed with, who can't get into artists without vocals.  And no one is in the wrong for liking (or not liking) instrumental artists.  I certainly don't think anyone's dumb for enjoying what they personally enjoy.

I listen to bands like Boris and don't understand Japanese, but their music is still amazing.

Good example.  Sigur Rós immediately comes to mind, too.  For anyone unfamiliar with SR, their vocalist sings in a combination of Icelandic and what he literally refers to as gibberish.  And seeing as I don't speak a lick of either, I have no idea what is being sung.  But that hardly deters my ability to be moved by their music.

I know it'll sound cliché as hell, but I'll say it anyway: if you're looking for instrumental artists to convey the same feelings or thoughts that vocals do, you're probably doing it wrong.  Try listening to the music for everything that lyrics can't capture.  That's where the real appeal is, for me.  Like Bronchitis said... there's nothing wrong with being able to belt out your favorite vocals, or appreciate some well-written lyrics.  But at the end of the day, it's really the sound that matters.

I know this topic has branched away from the origins of the thread, but I've been enjoying it thoroughly.  Apologies to Brandy for having to sift through random discussion to tally up the votes.

I've enjoyed this as well. I know I got a little snippy in my last post, but I do not think, by any means, that lebowski is wrong or stupid or what the fuck ever.

People who enjoy instrumental music really do feel something from it, it isn't just noise, and I think a lot of us are quick to defend that.

Play on, playas.