DIY Lathe-cuts! Cut your own records?

Hey me and a couple of buddies were interested in cutting out own lofi records, and I know everyone says the sound is pure shit but I've heard some recordings and apparently you can get good enough for it to sound pretty cool! I heard you can cut into lots of things like CDs, plastic plates, etc. I also heard you can cut into 12" laserdiscs! So I bought a few neat Japanese anime ones on Ebay. (What's with our fascination with obsolete formats?) I just wanted to get people's inputs on making your own recordings at home, and cutting records for your friend's local bands etc. 

I'd love to do it. From what I understand it is a tedious process, though. 

Yeah I hear it takes constant attention because they cut in real time, but if you check out lathetrolls.net they have a huge database and forum about lathe cuts, but it kind of overwhelms me with all the info. 

It's perfect for EP's and what not. I own one record made from a lathe cut label "Stumparumper" and the record is "Cathedral With No Eyes" by Railcars. It's my favorite noise pop record.

That's how the song is mastered, all blown out and fuzzy, on vinyl it sounds a tad bit more sparkly and clearer.

• 5 years later...
On 1/2/2014 at 4:58 PM, Out of Breath Records said:

Hey me and a couple of buddies were interested in cutting out own lofi records, and I know everyone says the sound is pure shit but I've heard some recordings and apparently you can get good enough for it to sound pretty cool! I heard you can cut into lots of things like CDs, plastic plates, etc. I also heard you can cut into 12" laserdiscs! So I bought a few neat Japanese anime ones on Ebay. (What's with our fascination with obsolete formats?) I just wanted to get people's inputs on making your own recordings at home, and cutting records for your friend's local bands etc. 

Hi there - I know this is an old post I'm replying to, but apparently I completely forgot about discovering this board some years back, as that would have been right about the time we bought a new house, and social media stuff all went straight to the back of the room for a while. Have you gone forward with your interest in lathe cutting? Since 2016, I've trained a bit with Mike from PIAPTK, and have a couple of decent cutters of my own, so I'd like to think at this point that I'm able to hold a half-decent conversation about the whole crazy realm of lathe cutting records.

Edited by groundhogpdx
typos

On 1/2/2014 at 5:05 PM, Out of Breath Records said:

Yeah I hear it takes constant attention because they cut in real time, but if you check out lathetrolls.net they have a huge database and forum about lathe cuts, but it kind of overwhelms me with all the info. 

BillyA was correct, in that it can be a tedious process, but if you're in it, you don't mind. The first record I made on my presto K-8 took about seven or more hours of testing and tweaking, then about 4am, I suddenly hit the sweet spot, and had to go with it. It's just what one has to do if they are going to do this. Lathetrolls is an invaluable resource (and yes, it *can* be overwhelming at times), and there are some really helpful people on that board who are more than willing to walk you through it if you're serious about it. Despite all the negative talk about the quality of lathe cut records (not here, neccesarily, but it's out there), there is a vast range of talent, dedication, and skills that all factor into whether your results sound decent or not. By the time I purchased my second unit - a Presto 6N - I had pushed my K8 way beyond the limits of what I was told I might be able to do with it, and I knew that it was far beyond the point of being an expensive hobby. A few custom-made lead screws (to determine the number of grooves per inch) and various embossing needles insured that I wouldn't be getting out of this rabbit hole for a while. As for cutting on laser discs, yes you can (and they sound amazing) - but at that point you're cutting with diamonds, which means burning more of your hard-earned dollars. But hey - what good is money if you can't do something really cool with it?