Recommendations for vinyl storage?

Hello, sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm looking for something better to store my records in. Right now it's just cardboard box type things and I'd like an upgrade. Looking for something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Ikea-Expedit-Shelving-Unit-Black-Brown/dp/B006997ZYK/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1388723418&sr=8-7&keywords=lp+record+shelf

How does this look? My price range is <$100. 

Hello, sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm looking for something better to store my records in. Right now it's just cardboard box type things and I'd like an upgrade. Looking for something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Ikea-Expedit-Shelving-Unit-Black-Brown/dp/B006997ZYK/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1388723418&sr=8-7&keywords=lp+record+shelf

How does this look? My price range is <$100. 

If you've got an Ikea near you, you can get that exact same shelf for half the price, plus larger options.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/search/?query=expedit

Don't buy that off of Amazon. If you go to an actual Ikea store you can get it for $39. (Ikea Expedit)

If you're looking for more space than that upgrade to the 8 space Expedit. That's still under your $100 budget. That'll fit everything but tall-ish box sets (Death Cab for Cutie - The Barsuk Years... for example). 

Guest Justin Maheiny

I thought you might find this funny but I ran out of room awhile ago on the 5' wide Expedit black unit I had and bought a 2nd one in white thinking I could swap shelves and stuff and make them both black & white mixed. I thought this was a pretty cool idea until I removed everything from the black shelving unit, disassembled it and then realized the holes were drilled differently on the white set and my idea wouldn't work. I can still hear my wife laughing at me.

I thought you might find this funny but I ran out of room awhile ago on the 5' wide Expedit black unit I had and bought a 2nd one in white thinking I could swap shelves and stuff and make them both black & white mixed. I thought this was a pretty cool idea until I removed everything from the black shelving unit, disassembled it and then realized the holes were drilled differently on the white set and my idea wouldn't work. I can still hear my wife laughing at me.

That's weird. Same model and everything just different color?

This, turned sideways with table/amps on top.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10103088/

How many albums does this hold? I have 300-400 albums and this might be a little too big. This will also be in a college dorm so if it is going to be large I would need to be able to put my TV (40 in.) and Xbox and whatnot on it along with my turntable.

Each square holds 50-75 albums (depending on gatefold size, single/double LP, box, etc.).  I would suggest putting the Xbox in one of the squares and the TV/turntable on top. Here are some pics.

2cniiqr.jpg

2pt6lhs.jpg

jqlu0p.jpg

Thanks this is perfect! Definitely getting this next time I get the chance to go to Ikea. 

Guest Justin Maheiny

That's weird. Same model and everything just different color?

I'm not sure if the model numbers are the same since I had the black one for several years before purchasing the white one but they are both the exact same size. The distance between the drilled holes on all pieces of the white one are about an inch closer than the black one. Couldn't figure out what was wrong when trying to swap pieces till I held them next to each other. Was mildly dissapointed to say the least.

I'm not sure if the model numbers are the same since I had the black one for several years before purchasing the white one but they are both the exact same size. The distance between the drilled holes on all pieces of the white one are about an inch closer than the black one. Couldn't figure out what was wrong when trying to swap pieces till I held them next to each other. Was mildly dissapointed to say the least.

I have a black one I bought about 7 years ago and another black one I bought last year. I noticed the holes are different between them too, so it might not just be a color difference. Old vs new pressings?