hi i have a sony ps lx 300 turntable hooked up to an old zenith receiver, i just noticed on my copy of deftones diamond eyes i can notice what sounds like a rpm variance, pitches going up and down noticeably, (its a 33 1/2 standard 12 inch vinyl brand new white press if that makes a difference) 

so the question is why, I'm new to this so have no idea of possible reason, is this likely the turntable or the vinyl or….etc

any help or direction would be much appreciated thank you

The first question is has this just started to happen or have you just set it up and it's the first record you've tried?

Its more likely to be the turntable but it could be either and it's a lot easier to try another record than another turntable, play a couple of others and see if you get similar effects.

Not wishing to be insulting but that isn't a great example of a turntable so If it turns out to be a turntable issue I would look around at an upgrade, something vintage with a little bit of research shouldn't cost you a lot.

Unless you can confirm that there is an actual physical issue with that album, which I can't speak of personally, I wouldn't guess that's the cause of the problem. Obvious questions though... Have you tried different records you're familiar with? Do they sound normal? Have you tried this album on another turntable? Is the record damaged in any significant way (eg melted)?

My first thought is it's your motor or possibly a power issue. I would try plugging the table into an alternate power outlet somewhere in the house. You might have faulty wiring causing inconsistent power supply to the table which would immediately affect the operation of the motor. My next guess would be the motor itself is broken and in need of repair and/or replacement.

thank y'all for all the responses, first off no except for the usual up an down of the tone arm iv gotten with all my records i see nothing of that nature, i noticed it very audibly with the one song (likely because it was a slower song with long drawn out guitar notes at a steady pitch) but after a while of replaying it has stopped, making me believe its not the record, there may be real claim to the power issues though as i live in a rented house where iv experienced some failures before

• 1 month later...