Mutemath S/T does anyone know if this ever going to be re-released?

Saw this news yesterday via modern vinyl on FB and like many others got excited. A good friend would love to have this, so was excited just to be able to tell him... until the obvious was discovered! I have the OG that I got from someone at deadformat for a mere $45 six years ago, but was honestly willing to buy this version purely for comparison sake, but that went out the window when I discovered the price. Maybe later on perhaps.  

Look, we all know the music biz is a real shit sandwich and I understand the band can't go into debt over something that isn't a must for their career moving forward, and one would think this price point was mulled over long and hard, but I really am curious, as are many here I'm sure, how this will play out. Will it sell out right away and the band will be thrilled or will they be sitting on these for sometime as a result of the price? Also wondering if this may end up setting a precedent for other bands reissuing things as such, like X band sold their vinyl for this much, why don't we?  Not trying to bash the band as they seem like really nice guys and play their ass off live, but this is quite an interesting scenario. Would be nice to know where these are being pressed also?  

3 minutes ago, danyc said:

Saw this news yesterday via modern vinyl on FB and like many others got excited. A good friend would love to have this, so was excited just to be able to tell him... until the obvious was discovered! I have the OG that I got from someone at deadformat for a mere $45 six years ago, but was honestly willing to buy this version purely for comparison sake, but that went out the window when I discovered the price. Maybe later on perhaps.  

Look, we all know the music biz is a real shit sandwich and I understand the band can't go into debt over something that isn't a must for their career moving forward, and one would think this price point was mulled over long and hard, but I really am curious, as are many here I'm sure, how this will play out. Will it sell out right away and the band will be thrilled or will they be sitting on these for sometime as a result of the price? Also wondering if this may end up setting a precedent for other bands reissuing things as such, like X band sold their vinyl for this much, why don't we?  Not trying to bash the band as they seem like really nice guys and play their ass off live, but this is quite an interesting scenario. Would be nice to know where these are being pressed also?  

I have no doubt that this will sell out fairly fast.  most likely within the first day or two.    I think we are the vocal minority that are complaining about it.  But I think other labels and bands will see that mutemath was able to sell a double lp for $75 and will have an effect on future releases.

6 minutes ago, bobbyhotep said:

I have no doubt that this will sell out fairly fast.  most likely within the first day or two.    I think we are the vocal minority that are complaining about it.  But I think other labels and bands will see that mutemath was able to sell a double lp for $75 and will have an effect on future releases.

I've literally never paid that much for a new record. That is not the norm, and I highly doubt everyone will just bite the bullet without complaining. 

Also, I think you and mutemath are definitely over-estimating their relevance. Any band that sees this and thinks they can also sell records for $75 are morons. 

40 minutes ago, dreamover said:

I've literally never paid that much for a new record. That is not the norm, and I highly doubt everyone will just bite the bullet without complaining. 

Also, I think you and mutemath are definitely over-estimating their relevance. Any band that sees this and thinks they can also sell records for $75 are morons. 

Who the hell is this band anyway?

1 hour ago, dreamover said:

Well, let's hope it doesn't sell out.  I just know there is a large demand for the original pressing, so much so that people pay $300-$400 on discogs.  But I guess we'll just have to see what happens tomorrow.

And I have never paid anything close to that either except for the mewithoutYou pale horses collectors edition.  But I stand by that purchase as it is a very nice package and comes with a lot of extras.  and that was only $50.   

30 minutes ago, bobbyhotep said:

Well, let's hope it doesn't sell out.  I just know there is a large demand for the original pressing, so much so that people pay $300-$400 on discogs.  But I guess we'll just have to see what happens tomorrow.

I wondered how often this actually sold for such high sums and did a Popsike search, my conclusion, not that often and quite possibly the same few copies changing hands more than once. Certainly the same ones seem to sit for sale on Discogs for quite a long while. This says to me that the market for high priced copies is actually pretty small, yes a lot of people want a copy but not at any price.

I also did a bit of thinking about some of the rarer modern records I own that I get asked if they are for sale via Discogs. The five most common I get asked about in no particular order are Mutmath S/T,  Shout Out Louds Howl Howl Gaff Gaff, Killers Hot Fuss and Paramore Riot, Cold War Kids Robbers & Cowards. All have been repressed so far except Mutemath and all were available at very normal prices (although Howl Howl Gaff Gaff was a limited 2nd pressing and I don't think there are more than about 750 in total in existence still), Hot Fuss, Robbers & Cowards and Riot were around in high numbers and I saw Hot Fuss in HMV yesterday for £9.99.

Regardless of how it's justified, to me $75 before shipping seems excessive for any album let alone a re press, its more what I expect to see the pointless re-issue box sets priced at and I won't buy those either.

I'm sure it will sell but I'm very interested to see how quickly and to how many, mostly because the precedent worries me.

The only reason I know of this band is because they opened for Circa Survive in my hometown when I was 17, and because they tried justifying a $76 double LP. 

Don't even try to argue with the Facebook people. I've been told a hundred times on Facebook that overpriced records aren't overpriced because they'll go on eBay for 4x as much. I love when the real record collectors are wrong but band fanboys/girls know what an album is worth every single time. 

Edited by throughbeingcruel

Higher prices cut down on scalping, plain and simple. Would you rather they price it at $25 and then most of the run get grabbed up by scalpers that turn around and then sell for even more? Yeah you might get lucky and get one at that price, but if you aren't lucky than your only other option will be to pay more if you really want one. Or, would you rather support a band you like, knowing that it's not like this "cash grab" (YOUR term not mine) is limited at only 1000 copies, not to mention that none of you know the deal that was struck and what demands WB put on the band. This way at least the money goes to THEM and not some random a-hole that was lucky enough to have a faster internet connection or whatever. I have no connection to this band but I do work in the industry and I buy a LOT of vinyl, and I understand why scalping happens. If you price items / tickets / whatever closer to what their real value is, scalpers won't enter into the equation. Then again preventing scalping or flippers may have nothing to do with this. I say it again - NONE of you know what demands WB put on the band or the deal that was struck behind closed doors for them to repress this. I know you all think you know better and blah blah blah, but the reality is you don't. Could Mondo have put this out at a better price? MAYBE, but then again Mondo is a much bigger operation that is actually in the business of putting out reissues, numerous ones every month / week. This one band only puts stuff out occasionally for THEMSELVES. They can't exploit efficiencies of scale or other things that Mondo or some other operation might be able to. And who knows, maybe they're 2 million un-recouped at WB and so the label sees this as a cash grab for THEM, and hence the higher prices. Sorry but I just LOVE people that think they know everything… I certainly don't. I can only guess the response this is gonna get. Flame on! 

55 minutes ago, allenh said:

I wondered how often this actually sold for such high sums and did a Popsike search, my conclusion, not that often and quite possibly the same few copies changing hands more than once. Certainly the same ones seem to sit for sale on Discogs for quite a long while. This says to me that the market for high priced copies is actually pretty small, yes a lot of people want a copy but not at any price.

Exactly, and I'm willing to bet the overlap between the very small number of folks who've splurged for an OG press and those die-hard fans who are eagerly awaiting the $75 price tag is pretty significant. 

Those who'd love a copy – but at a reasonable price – will likely sit this out, simply because paying more than 30 bucks for a record is a bad financial move or just silly or whatever. Even those who could more easily afford $75 pressings than the $250 OG listings on Discogs will probably hold off on this one too.

I bought the original in 2006 from the band directly for $25 + 4.32 shipping (via zambooie.com). I can honestly say it's one of the quietest pressings I have from this century. I've also documented on the FB group how it doesn't suffer from clipping like the CD versions do, thus it's is the preferred format for audiophiles. It's definitely a great album, and I've considered myself very lucky to have it on vinyl considering how in-demand it is.

I, too, wanted to get the repress for comparison, though I certainly don't expect it to be as good with the quality standards I've seen from the plants lately. I'm pretty sure they had to create new stampers for this one, which is just something else that can go wrong. They recently teased fans by showing the original 4-CD source on twitter. So hopefully this would indicate that it will not have clipping issues either.

Regardless, $75 is too steep for a 2nd copy in my opinion. However, this album is special compared to the rest of their catalog, so I wouldn't frown upon any fan who spends this for their first copy. I just hope it doesn't arrive with whatever those hairline swirly scratches are that I continue to experience with some new presses.

33 minutes ago, the industry said:

Higher prices cut down on scalping, plain and simple. Would you rather they price it at $25 and then most of the run get grabbed up by scalpers that turn around and then sell for even more? Yeah you might get lucky and get one at that price, but if you aren't lucky than your only other option will be to pay more if you really want one. Or, would you rather support a band you like, knowing that it's not like this "cash grab" (YOUR term not mine) is limited at only 1000 copies, not to mention that none of you know the deal that was struck and what demands WB put on the band. This way at least the money goes to THEM and not some random a-hole that was lucky enough to have a faster internet connection or whatever. I have no connection to this band but I do work in the industry and I buy a LOT of vinyl, and I understand why scalping happens. If you price items / tickets / whatever closer to what their real value is, scalpers won't enter into the equation. Then again preventing scalping or flippers may have nothing to do with this. I say it again - NONE of you know what demands WB put on the band or the deal that was struck behind closed doors for them to repress this. I know you all think you know better and blah blah blah, but the reality is you don't. Could Mondo have put this out at a better price? MAYBE, but then again Mondo is a much bigger operation that is actually in the business of putting out reissues, numerous ones every month / week. This one band only puts stuff out occasionally for THEMSELVES. They can't exploit efficiencies of scale or other things that Mondo or some other operation might be able to. And who knows, maybe they're 2 million un-recouped at WB and so the label sees this as a cash grab for THEM, and hence the higher prices. Sorry but I just LOVE people that think they know everything… I certainly don't. I can only guess the response this is gonna get. Flame on! 

We've got another Facebook group member coming to defend the band's honor.  Great.

What none of you die hard fans realize is your arguments and condescending attacks aren't going to convince anyone on this board or change anyone's opinion.  Signing up for an account and making your first post this wall of text that calls anyone out who doesn't blindly accept paying out the ass for a 10 year old reissue makes you look like an asshole.

57 minutes ago, the industry said:

Great first post, kid. You're gonna go far here. 

27 minutes ago, highfives said:

We've got another Facebook group member coming to defend the band's honor.  Great.

What none of you die hard fans realize is your arguments and condescending attacks aren't going to convince anyone on this board or change anyone's opinion.  Signing up for an account and making your first post this wall of text that calls anyone out who doesn't blindly accept paying out the ass for a 10 year old reissue makes you look like an asshole.

*farts*

Mm-hmmmm. Like I said, I just love people that think they know everything. I'm just a FB group member just coming here to defend the band. You know me. You know EVERYTHING, don't you.

You don't have to "accept" anything - if it's too much for you, then speak with your wallet and DON'T BUY IT. Or maybe you should start your own label and show us all how easy it is to put out a re-issue at a price that you find acceptable? 

13 minutes ago, the industry said:

*farts*

Mm-hmmmm. Like I said, I just love people that think they know everything. I'm just a FB group member just coming here to defend the band. You know me. You know EVERYTHING, don't you.

You don't have to "accept" anything - if it's too much for you, then speak with your wallet and DON'T BUY IT. Or maybe you should start your own label and show us all how easy it is to put out a re-issue at a price that you find acceptable? 

Some of these guys HAVE put out reasonably priced reissues, so why DON'T you???

Go back to Facebook, ya little bitch.

1 hour ago, the industry said:

Higher prices cut down on scalping, plain and simple

Having a one-per-customer limit cuts down (doesn't eliminate) scalping. Higher prices do not stop flippers, and actually, some might have the mindset that since a product was inexplicably uber-expensive, perhaps more people who really wanted it had to miss out. 

1 hour ago, the industry said:

not my label, but one of this board's members, http://dreamover.limitedrun.com/, did exactly that!

though i think the fact that reissues happen constantly and NONE go for $75 should've tipped you off earlier that you are quite likely located somewhere within the Kool-Aid man's pitcher of Kool-Aid. probably in the same condo complex as MM's management team, so there's at least some company!