PO: NOTHING - Guilty of Everything LP

I don't know why there seems to me to be this disconnect between the personalities of Whirr and Nothing band members on FB and Twitter (maybe just rowdy and drunk?) in contrast to the dreamy, shoegaze music they write. 

I mean, Nothing, were in a scrape with Slowdive a week or two ago for goodness' sake!

I can see feeling there's a disconnect between the band members' personalities and the music they make but bear in mind that most (if not all) the guys in Whirr and Nothing are essentially hardcore punks. They've all started in one way or another in hardcore bands. And of course that entails having confrontational attitudes and speaking their minds. With less restraint than others of course.

i like both whirr and nothing quite a bit but the hypersensitivty towards criticism of their music is silly - and its not the first time. do people even pay attention to reviews anymore? whats the point? you can go on spotify and stream just about any album you want and decide for yourself if you like something or not. i get it, you put your heart into something and it probably stings to have someone shit on it but fuck 'em - it comes with the territory unless you wanna pack up your shit and be a band that 3 people know about.

i like both whirr and nothing quite a bit but the hypersensitivty towards criticism of their music is silly - and its not the first time. do people even pay attention to reviews anymore? whats the point? you can go on spotify and stream just about any album you want and decide for yourself if you like something or not. i get it, you put your heart into something and it probably stings to have someone shit on it but fuck 'em - it comes with the territory unless you wanna pack up your shit and be a band that 3 people know about.

I like both bands as well, quite a lot. But calling out specific people via social media is plain immature.

I like Whirr a lot but I just don't understand the logic behind attacking your own fans on facebook. Not agreeing with a review is one thing but calling your fans names for disagreeing with you is just stupid.

The thing with Nothing and Slowdive was mentioned in this article for those interested - 

http://philadelphia.thedelimagazine.com/17048/where-my-mind-nothings-domenic-palermo

Care to explain this? I don't do the whole social networking thing or keep up with most internet nonsense/diatribes/e-drama but I'm curious about this one.

I can't do it here at work but I 'll try to find the twitter feed with Nothing and Slowdive, though Nothing are pretty tweet heavy and about ready to unfollow.

I think that Nothing and Whirr are fucking hilarious over the internet, and that people need to realize that nothing that they say to these bands on Facebook or Youtube will change the opinions of these guys.

I think professional reviewers are hilarious (not you, Juan, and those who actually listen to the music attentively), and bands like Whirr and Nothing need to realize that all of their hilarious immature  drunken punk carping, dissing and name-calling isn't going to change the opinions of the reviewers.  ;)   

And like the clown in the dunking machine, Whirr and Nothing trash talking 'fans' or whoever on FB is entertaining and I don't take them seriously, as much as I enjoy their music.  Since it seems people do take their stuff hook, line and sinker, it only eggs Whirr on to keep on with the clown act.  If it ends up costing them their fanbase (doubt, but maybe), then they will reap what they have sown.

Makes me feel so bad about all the bitching and moaning I did. 

I finally got the bright idea to check out the account status on their e-store. The order was on hold dude to an error (on my part) with the credit card I used. I got luck that when I called the number listed to call I got a hold of someone there. All straightened out and my order still stands and going out tomorrow. 

So yeah...it was all my dumb ass to blame on this. D'oh!

For the Slowdive incident, comment in interview here:

I’ve been listening to Slowdive since I was fucking 18 years old. When I was playing in hardcore bands, I always wanted to be playing music like Slowdive but didn’t really know how to. It’s cool. Neil Halstead’s kind of a prick, but… he’s got his head up his ass. I try not to pay attention to him as a person because I also love Mojave 3. But he’s kind of a fucking cunt.

And twitter thread here:
https://twitter.com/BandofNOTHING/status/435469814581059584

Does Whirr and Nothing share members in Guilty Of Everything?

Whirr does a lot for me, specially with Distressor, but I can't avoid to think that Nothing is overrated by Whirr and that Guilty Of Everything is a bland shoegaze record. I may have to listen it more but I wasn't able to connect with the hoorays I've been reading about.

I can see feeling there's a disconnect between the band members' personalities and the music they make but bear in mind that most (if not all) the guys in Whirr and Nothing are essentially hardcore punks. They've all started in one way or another in hardcore bands. And of course that entails having confrontational attitudes and speaking their minds. With less restraint than others of course.

I know a lot of people involved in the hardcore community and most of them would frown upon using misogynistic slurs against anyone. There is a difference between being confrontational and being a jock.

Does Whirr and Nothing share members in Guilty Of Everything?

Whirr does a lot for me, specially with Distressor, but I can't avoid to think that Nothing is overrated by Whirr and that Guilty Of Everything is a bland shoegaze record. I may have to listen it more but I wasn't able to connect with the hoorays I've been reading about.

I'm not 100% sure if he recorded with Nothing on the album, but WHIRR's Nick Bassett joined Nothing on bass full-time.