Brag About Your Shitty Setup ! :)

So I'm new to this. Not music or sound but vinyl. Im 19 a college student and have shit for money, that being said heres my set up that I'm damn proud of.

-sony ps lx 300 usb turntable (around 100 bucks, a gift from my gf for christmas)

-pre amp included in the turntable

​-old zenith receiver circa 1995 ( i found just laying around a family members house he was happy to see go)

-two rca tweeters i got for free from a friend (the impedance isn't high enough but they work well)

-two rca surrounds and a rca center i got from a thrift store (5 bucks for the lot)

-one zenith powered sub i got with the reciever

-all connected by the thinest speaker wire radio shack offers and old rca cables and a y split for the sub

total is about 115 dollars including 100 for the turntable

this is a shit set up that most people would laugh at but at the end of the day I'm quite pleased with myself each piece took time to find (lots of thrift store diving for those speakers) and it delivers music to my ears just fine

so this is a thread to brag about a set up that won't turn any heads but that you enjoy and are proud of, now or in the past, id love to see this take off so share with your friends, enjoy the music:)

Current setup I bought when I got to AZ:

~$100 Stanton direct drive table from Guitar Center.

~$100 Insignia receiver from Best Buy

$20 Sennheiser headphones from GC/BB

$15 Sony dual tape deck from Goodwill

Previous setup that is still back in FL:

$20 Technics SL-D2 direct drive table

Cheap Gemini 2-channel DJ mixer

$10 AKG headphones from GC

$20 Sennheisers when the AKGs broke.

I could upgrade almost anytime I want, but I just don't care. I like how my vinyls sound and that's what it is all about right?

was that marantz your dad's jacob?

i really miss my super ghetto setup i had in college.

1000 watt radio shack car amp run through a dc inverter, a 400 disc sony changer, a mid 80's akai turntable, and a pair of giant totally frankensteined speakers i cobbled together from random pieces i scored cabinenets, and woofers from random tag sales and junk day pickups..  it was loud as all hell

• 2 months later...

I've got a slightly bigger brother, the 2250. Only decent piece of my setup...

Gemini XL500II TT (AT95E cart) > Marantz 2250 > 20+y/o Bose bookshelfs

I def need to do some upgrading to complement the Marantz

There's nothing wrong with the really early Gemini direct drive's and your Marantz is a pretty good thing so it's only the speakers and if you feel you need to the cartridge to do, might want to try some better cables if your's are not all that good.

• 1 year later...