eBay - Seller protection?

tvham

I'm having a bit of an issue as a seller on eBay. I sold an item (buy it now for approx $25) and shipped it first class as soon as the buyer paid. After I shipped I got a message asking me for tracking info and I responded that I didn't include tracking as shipping was the default eBay cost of $2.24 for a cd and that doesn't include tracking.

Here are some of the messages I've received since:

- That should automatically have free tracking put it on it. I hope I get it!

Okay, its just I have problems with receiving mail when it doenst have it. Ebay always has delivery confirmation and tracking free if you go through there shipping. And it has a 30% discount. Just a little warning, if the mail is lost or never shows up it makes you liable. Ive had this happen and many others have too. I hope she does also. Ill let you know if i have any problems thanks

- When should I be receiving it? I haven got anything this far.. :/

- I still have not received it yet.. I've had this happen to me a couple times now..

- Its not my end trust me. I have went through hell trying to figure out what happens to them. The Post Office promises nothing without a tracking number. I got into a heated argument with them a couple times about it. That is 100% my address correctly. They always screw things up without it. I asked straight up "is there anyway you have proof it even came to your post office yet alone any" response "NO". "So you are telling me any guy at any post office could hypothetically take my packages or envelopes, etc and get away with it" response "Yes". Those were there responses. Now if it gets lost with tracking number it is there fault and they have to pay you for it and a bunch of other crap. The post office is very messy and doesnt care about what was in it and so on. Things get lost all the time especially packages or envelopes with no tracking numbers. Its pretty damn pitiful how much they dont care. The what ifs are never ending. I collect autographs and have them sent to me all the time. I couldnt tell you how many packages have been lost because they didnt have tracking info. All tracking info packages have made it. If you buy postage through ebay you will get it cheaper than using stamps and going to the post office plus you will get tracking information with it for free. So Id highly advise you to use it always. I have sold items to and they never got there so I always use it now. I wont leave any bad feedback on you but if it doesnt come within these next couple days, Im sorry but Ill have to ask for my refund back

Ok, after this situation I now know to ALWAYS include tracking. Is there anything I can do on my end if/when this guy files a claim with eBay? I have a feeling that the guy is trying to scam me, as soon as he found out I didn't include tracking (which he didn't ask for nor pay for) he went on the "Well if I don't get it it's on you"

I

It's easy to get frustrated as a seller when this happens, and to chalk it up to the buyer just trying to scam you. I feel ya. BUT, his frustrations seem legitimate, and it's definitely not out of the question that there are one or two thieves working at his post office.

Plus I feel like he wouldn't go out of his way to type so many messages (and such a long one) if he was just going to scam you out of a CD (I think that's what you were selling?)

So yeah, not that it's your fault, but lesson learned. Pay for tracking next time. It's not that expensive.

It's easy to get frustrated as a seller when this happens, and to chalk it up to the buyer just trying to scam you. I feel ya. BUT, his frustrations seem legitimate, and it's definitely not out of the question that there are one or two thieves working at his post office.

Plus I feel like he wouldn't go out of his way to type so many messages (and such a long one) if he was just going to scam you out of a CD (I think that's what you were selling?)

So yeah, not that it's your fault, but lesson learned. Pay for tracking next time. It's not that expensive.

I hear ya, all told it'll be a $30 lesson (which in the grand scheme of things could be much worse) but it's just weird that he says this has happened to him numerous times before yet he didn't ask for tracking. I'll definitely always include it from here on out!

What's his feedback like?

Short of it, you are probably screwed.

His feedback is about 35, all positive, though it looks like at least 25 are all from the same seller so who knows? He also has a bunch of stuff for sale, I guess I can just keep an eye out to see if he bought my item to flip.

I hear ya, all told it'll be a $30 lesson (which in the grand scheme of things could be much worse) but it's just weird that he says this has happened to him numerous times before yet he didn't ask for tracking. I'll definitely always include it from here on out!

This is what irks me about your situation. The guy has a known problem involving not receiving tracking-less packages, yet when he pays you he give you zero notification about it. He could have informed you though a comment in the paypal payment, or just straight up messaged you about it on ebay.

This is what irks me about your situation. The guy has a known problem involving not receiving tracking-less packages, yet when he pays you he give you zero notification about it. He could have informed you though a comment in the paypal payment, or just straight up messaged you about it on ebay.

Yeah, the guy actually messaged me twice before the purchase with questions then again after making the purchase asking me to take care wrapping the cd but never mentioned the tracking!

First off, ALWAYS include tracking.

Second off, he is probably scamming you. But, without including tracking, eBay will side with the seller. 

In a nutshell, the buyer (based on his messages) scams those who can not prove that the item was delivered, but based on the way you shipped it, you will lose in a battle with the buyer.

True

You have a good shot of winning your case with eBay if they open a case with you. First Class still takes up to a week. They should hold their horses. Don't succeed to weakness with these bully buyers. 

If you have proof you shipped it take a photo of that receipt and send it to them. It should shut them up.

And this might end up being a 25$+ shipping lesson for you to always include a tracking number.

You have a good shot of winning your case with eBay if they open a case with you. First Class still takes up to a week. They should hold their horses. Don't succeed to weakness with these bully buyers. 

If you have proof you shipped it take a photo of that receipt and send it to them. It should shut them up.

And this might end up being a 25$+ shipping lesson for you to always include a tracking number.

The seller is pretty much always fucked. Pictures, receipts, doesn't matter. They can claim you sent an empty box if they want.

What is the buyers name? Please post it here so we can all avoid that user. 

He is obviously a scammer putting pressure on you. Cute little "I yelled at the mailman story because hypothetically they can steal anything without tracking," story 

I'm going to preemptively contact eBay and tell them I think I'm being scammed...not sure if it will make a difference but I at least want to look into his history to see if he's done this before. I'm not going to out him yet until he actually files a claim. 

I'm going to preemptively contact eBay and tell them I think I'm being scammed...not sure if it will make a difference but I at least want to look into his history to see if he's done this before. I'm not going to out him yet until he actually files a claim. 

It couldn't hurt that is for sure.

anybody consider this guy just really has a shitty post office staff and is not trying to scam anybody? 

My mailman leaves my packages on my neighbors porch all the time even though i have told them 100 times I'm 222A and she is 222B. Sometimes though people just suck. 

that is not out of the realm of possibility

anybody consider this guy just really has a shitty post office staff and is not trying to scam anybody? 

My mailman leaves my packages on my neighbors porch all the time even though i have told them 100 times I'm 222A and she is 222B. Sometimes though people just suck. 

I don't doubt that some people have horrible post offices but if that's the case why not tell a seller in advance to make sure and pay for tracking? Especially since he was in constant contact with me before the sale and right after. I just want eBay to look into his history to see if he's done this before. 

I don't doubt that some people have horrible post offices but if that's the case why not tell a seller in advance to make sure and pay for tracking? Especially since he was in constant contact with me before the sale and right after. I just want eBay to look into his history to see if he's done this before.