Post Your Record Storage Area

Custom made it out of aluminum so it only weighs about 14 ounces.

[image]

Do these make a big difference in sound? Is it for better bass response or vibration dampening?

have been wondering this also. i read a long thread about things like weights and different methods like stacking CDs under the slip mat, cutting slip mat down, etc... there are tons of things that supposedly affect / improve sound, but i don't understand how really.

supposedly just playing vinyl with the dust cover OFF as opposed to on improves sound, but i don't really hear it. could be my ears aren't trained enough though

How did you custom make it? Melt down some pop cans and pour it in a homemade mold?

That would be pretty crazy if I went to that extent. I bought a raw piece of aluminum rod and a friend of mine helped me cut it into shape on his metal lathe and then I polished it. I found this website on a DIY record weight and decided to give it a go http://www.soundfountain.com/amb/puck.html The site provides a lot of supporting information.

2+ years ago:

[image]

Now:

[image]

Definitely an "in transition" shot. The cd rack on the left of the first shot is the same as the one on the right of the second. Just got the 2x4 expedit, and we're moving a bunch of stuff around in our house. Gonna stick a tv in this room (corner opposite the 7" boxes), so I'll probably rewire everything through that amp and find somewhere for the speakers.

Those blinds are almost always closed (spare bedroom), and the part where the windows and cubes overlap doesn't really get any direct sunlight. But I might still cut some foam core squares and place them in the back of the top row of cubes. Safety first and all. Will post a finished shot when it's all up and prettified.

it looks like the topshelf is about to break...

I know it does look that way, it's really sturdy but all the shelves are warped like that even with nothing on them because the guy I got it from had the whole thing filled for years.. It was actually twice as tall but the dude cut it in half and had the other half in his apartment still filled..

I guess I could spread them out between the shelves just in case... or just bite the bullet and invest in an expedit :-/

it looks like the topshelf is about to break...

I know it does look that way, it's really sturdy but all the shelves are warped like that even with nothing on them because the guy I got it from had the whole thing filled for years.. It was actually twice as tall but the dude cut it in half and had the other half in his apartment still filled..

I guess I could spread them out between the shelves just in case... or just bite the bullet and invest in an expedit :-/

or you can just move that entire bunch to the bottom shelf... especially considering that OG drugs to the dear youth LP is just waiting to be crushed... i treat my copy like i would my kin.

or you can just move that entire bunch to the bottom shelf... especially considering that OG drugs to the dear youth LP is just waiting to be crushed... i treat my copy like i would my kin.

Hahaha that's a good call man, I know it really looks like a disaster waiting to happen, doesn't it? There's actually about a two inch gap between the shelf and the records underneath in the middle although the angle of the pic does not show it and the shelves are definitely solid. I'm going to end up getting something better in the near future when my funds recover, but yeah I probably will move them soon. Thanks for the suggestion

• jhulud locked this topic