Post Your Record Storage Area

sorry, it was a mistake.

in all honesty i have a shit ion, running though a kenwood receiver that was bought in the mid nintes.

i was being stupid, sorry dude.

it's all good, no offense taken. my player is just one of those generic Sony ones that my girlfriend bought for me a while ago and the receiver and speakers are Pioneer I believe, found them in my parents attic and dug how the speakers look and how they sound.

That is indeed 'Siamese Singles' - bought it back in '95 or '96 for either $75 or $100, which was the going rate at the time. It seemed insane to the 16 year old me and it hasn't really held its value, but it's remained one of my favorite pieces. (If I could only find a peach "Rocket" to complete the main 7" set...)

i think i bought mine in 98. it was still sealed, but the cellophane had some holes in it. pretty sure i payed $100 as well.

i bought it at bill's records and tapes in dallas, i remember he had an open one a few months earlier for $75 but i couldn't afford it at the time.

needless to say it's not sealed anymore, and the box is kinda beat to hell, but the records are still minty fresh.

i thought i'd share this. i have the ikea expiet thing too. i went to lowes and bought 1 x 2 pieces of wood, cut them to lenght, and glued them down to make a back stop for the records. the wood is super cheap and you can use pretty much any glue (i used some construction adhesive I already had).

img5886fw.jpg

img5885a.jpg

i think i bought mine in 98. it was still sealed, but the cellophane had some holes in it. pretty sure i payed $100 as well.

i bought it at bill's records and tapes in dallas, i remember he had an open one a few months earlier for $75 but i couldn't afford it at the time.

needless to say it's not sealed anymore, and the box is kinda beat to hell, but the records are still minty fresh.

I got mine from the Listessa classifieds - oh, mailing lists - from someone who was cleaning out their collection. (It may or may not have been due to disillusion with 'Mellon Collie' and/or the subsequent tour, possibly around the time of the Jimmy debacle, but I'm not 100% on that.) Anyways, it's got a bit of a crease on the front of the box - it looks like it was manufactured that way rather than due to mishandling after the fact - but the records & sleeves are all perfect. After I got that, I traded away my red "Today" for the Japanese CD single to get a digital copy of "Apathy's Last Kiss" - which I later traded away for something else. Wish I hadn't but it's not too hard to track down - that said, in the intervening years I never have. When I get my hands on a peach "Rocket" I'll get another one to complete the set. (Still have "Cherub Rock" & "Disarm".)

• 2 weeks later...

My collection isn't much to write home about...but I've only been collecting since September.

I bought THIS from target because there isn't an Ikea anywhere near me and their shipping prices are a joke:

photocopy.jpg

photo.jpg

I bought the same ones from Target. Pretty happy with them except for the feet; if you have one completely loaded with vinyl, the bottom shelf will sag and you need to add supplemental support in the middle. Other than that one issue, these are awesome.

i thought i'd share this. i have the ikea expiet thing too. i went to lowes and bought 1 x 2 pieces of wood, cut them to lenght, and glued them down to make a back stop for the records. the wood is super cheap and you can use pretty much any glue (i used some construction adhesive I already had).

img5886fw.jpg

img5885a.jpg

After seeing your post, I did this to mine & it works great. Thanks for the idea.

Whew. So I literally just finished combing through all 125 pages of this thread (over the last several days). I've been taking in ideas and racking my brain on how to mod my setup to make it kid-proof. I have a four year old who is actually quite trustworthy and a 1.5 year old who is a little master of destruction. There's also a steady stream of neighbor kids etc who would put my stuff at risk even if I knew that my kids were careful enough.

Anyways, there was surprisingly little good info here on child proofing, but I did glean a lot of useful tidbits. Here's what I came up with. If it works, hopefully some other parent can benefit the experience. In order to make this work I had to sell it to my wife so I made a mock up in illustrator. The scale is correct for all of the different components: my tv, receiver, turntable, speakers, expedits, etc. It was actually a lot of fun to work it up. I live a long ways away from an Ikea so I needed to make sure everything would fit right structurally for logistics sake. I'm probably only able to fill those four squared with vinyl at this time, all the others would be for my wife to organize how she would like.

ScreenShot2012-11-20at123712AM.png

So the answer to the child proofing question is height. Therein also lies the problem. That is the danger structurally of having all that weight up there, especially with how the expedits are built. What I'll end up doing is some major reinforcement to the 1x5 bridge section. Some sort of steel bars to span beneath it, as well as some metal straps/brackets on the back section. I dunno but that will have to be substantial. The two verticals have the upper middle divider removed to provide space for the turntable and receiver. I'm aware that this will also compromise the integrity of the structure, but hopefully some reinforcement of the back will help enough. After that anchor it all together, and anchor again to the wall and bam. I know it's not good to have the speakers on there, but for now that can't be helped.

Any useful feedback would be appreciated, thanks.

• jhulud locked this topic