Post Your Record Storage Area

I have a frame shop up at work, so I get them to do mine.  Paid $60 for a custom framing of my Thrice farewell tour poster.  I have a mewithoutYou/Touche Amore poster waiting on deck to be framed.  

I just ordered the TA/mwY poster as well, the colors look great! So now I need to buy more frames....

Had a good idea with my 2x4 expedit. Needed some extra storage and wanted to tuck my guitar amp away so I got creative and got 2 MALM night stands and placed it on top, leaving a nice cubby in the middle for my amp.BgFNAgvIEAA9wM0.jpg

I love this idea. I have the same issue. A guitar amp I need to store and this looks like a great solution as well as taking care of the 'getting down on all fours while searching for a record' problem. But isn't there a possibility the middle could sag?

I have a ton of El Jefe Design posters (The Gaslight Anthem, Dave Hause, etc) and the older ones are 19x25 which made it hard to find frames. IKEA has several series of frames that are slightly larger (inner dimensions of 19.75x25 which gives room for a nice border/background. They're affordable as well. The cheapest ones are horrid but the next ones up are great and look nice up on the wall. 

As for show or promo posters that are 11x17, Walmart makes some good ones with real glass. The ones from Michael's were twice the price and very cheap plastic. 

8a8f34a6609811e389ec12abeb9452dc_8_zps20

1feaf25c5c9711e3813a1234f157b7e9_8_zpsb6

8449c46a6e5f11e3ad46124c1a234ad5_8_zpsc4

Those look great man. What did you use for the border/background? The color match is perfect.

I love this idea. I have the same issue. A guitar amp I need to store and this looks like a great solution as well as taking care of the 'getting down on all fours while searching for a record' problem. But isn't there a possibility the middle could sag?

There's less sagging on this than when I had feet on it. No issues at this point a month later

So yesterday, my chinchilla did something that she had never done before - she chewed the sleeve of one of my records. I caught her in time, but I am putting a stop to it!

y81FiS0.jpg?2

Today was my day off, so I went to Michael's and bought a few of those god awful LP frames (I felt like a tool buying them), and remembered I had a few Portugal the Man prints lying around.

M7eQIlD.jpg?2

So a trip to the hardware store later, I bought some black hinges, and before you know it, custom doors for the Expedit, and CHINCHILLA-PROOF Expedit.

gfOutzG.jpg?1

Quite happy with how it turned out.

I bought the exact frames, and i am trying to make the doors. But i can't seem to buy the right hinges to fit and work. Does anyone have any idea on which hinges are used for frames for doors. Thanks to any help, i have searched almost this entire forum and can't find it anywhere. thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have the time to sort through close to 200 pages to find an answer to this but to those of you with Expedit setups, what are you guys using to store your 7" records? Due to space limitations and the impending moving in of my lady I'm going to have to ditch the custom shelves I made in order to fit all my records into one room so I am getting a bunch of Expedits to fill that room. The only problem is finding some bins to hold all my 7"s.

I'm looking for something that I can flip through and not the cardboard boxes from bags unlimited. Lids aren't necessary but aren't bad either so I'm open to ideas. Also something not super pricey as I have about 4500 of the things so I'm going to need a LOT of bins!

I don't have the time to sort through close to 200 pages to find an answer to this but to those of you with Expedit setups, what are you guys using to store your 7" records? Due to space limitations and the impending moving in of my lady I'm going to have to ditch the custom shelves I made in order to fit all my records into one room so I am getting a bunch of Expedits to fill that room. The only problem is finding some bins to hold all my 7"s.

I'm looking for something that I can flip through and not the cardboard boxes from bags unlimited. Lids aren't necessary but aren't bad either so I'm open to ideas. Also something not super pricey as I have about 4500 of the things so I'm going to need a LOT of bins!

The photo boxes from Michael's work great. The picture doesn't show them all that well (you should be able to see alright since the picture is huge), but its all I have since I am at work. They are great for flipping through.

http://i.imgur.com/Iao9Gqv.jpg

Edit: Pretty sure these are what they are. 

7xElhL1.jpg

The photo boxes from Michael's work great. The picture doesn't show them all that well (you should be able to see alright since the picture is huge), but its all I have since I am at work. They are great for flipping through.

http://i.imgur.com/Iao9Gqv.jpg

Edit: Pretty sure these are what they are. 

7xElhL1.jpg

I use the same boxes.  

Medium flat rate boxes from USPS. You can get any amount shipped free to your door. Take 2 of them, close the bottoms, fold all the top flaps in, and stick one inside the other for reinforcement. 

https://store.usps.com/store/browse/uspsProductDetailMultiSkuDropDown.jsp?categoryNavIds=catGetMailingShippingSupplies%3asubcatMSS_PriorityMail&categoryNav=false&navAction=push&navCount=0&productId=P_O_FRB1&categoryId=subcatMSS_PriorityMail

Boxes like people are suggesting are cool if you have 50 or 100 7"s. When you have a lot it's a whole other ball game. I have around 2000 7"s and I currently keep them in 15 of those bags unlimited boxes and a couple other random boxes. I am always looking for better storage solutions. If you find something, let me know.

What do your custom shelves look like for your 7"s?

Boxes like people are suggesting are cool if you have 50 or 100 7"s. When you have a lot it's a whole other ball game. 

I think each would hold 100 max? I had at least 80 in one of them with plenty of space for flipping. Bigger boxes would be much better for larger collections though. You can't stack these or anything. 

• jhulud locked this topic