Post Your Record Storage Area

Reorganized a bit.  I have some signed gig flyers and art prints I need to put up still so it doesn't look like I only go and see Sleep :lol:

IMG_24703337684128_zpso0owuyek.jpeg

IMG_24709793997459_zpsdcng69gv.jpeg

CAM00514_zpsxowbjbcl.jpg

The flyers you can't really see in the third pic....

1604504_10153891510570451_1113353086_n_z

All of my CD's are hidden in the closet.

I know this post is a tad old, but I had to comment: I'd be pretty happy in this room, I imagine. Sleep, Bongripper, Mastodon, Sabbath... and lava lamps. Yes, this is good.  :)

I've already posted this picture elsewhere, but here's the current "storage" area. I'll remove the 3rd door once I need more space, but after that... not sure yet. I'll worry about it when it happens. Currently, all my CDs are shoved behind that door (above is the overflow), so I'll have to find a new home for them as well.

IMG_1020_zps4f8e34d9.jpg

Boxes like people are suggesting are cool if you have 50 or 100 7"s. When you have a lot it's a whole other ball game. I have around 2000 7"s and I currently keep them in 15 of those bags unlimited boxes and a couple other random boxes. I am always looking for better storage solutions. If you find something, let me know.

What do your custom shelves look like for your 7"s?

Here's what I'm using now. I loved them but the lady hates them but that's not the real issue. The issue is that the room is now so full that I have a couple more of those in the adjoining room. I need to fit it all in the one room and the only place to go is up. The cheapest and easiest solution for both of us is the Expedit system but of course that leaves me with well over 4000 7" that need things to hold them that look decent/presentable. That eliminates any free option like shoe boxes or priority mail boxes.

thevault.jpg

For folks who don't have a TON of 7"s but are looking for something solid to organize - I use these boxes from BagsUnlimited, $25 buys you two and they each hold 125. https://www.bagsunlimited.com/c-280-storage-boxes.aspx

I'm talking about the second product (plastic corrugated) on this page. I bought the first product originally and I would not recommend those.

Here's what I'm using now. I loved them but the lady hates them but that's not the real issue. The issue is that the room is now so full that I have a couple more of those in the adjoining room. I need to fit it all in the one room and the only place to go is up. The cheapest and easiest solution for both of us is the Expedit system but of course that leaves me with well over 4000 7" that need things to hold them that look decent/presentable. That eliminates any free option like shoe boxes or priority mail boxes.

thevault.jpg

Nice "Dining" Room!!!

thevault.jpg

That is an amazing collection

Nice "Dining" Room!!!

That's funny you say that because it once was a dining room! I got rid of all the furniture in there because no one ever dined in there even once. The future Mrs. MXV is fine with leaving this a record room but insisted on white expedit to replace the current system. I'm really sad to see them go but space is the issue and the current system just doesn't hold it all anymore. That system served me well though for close to 20 years now when I came up with the idea and had a friend build them for me. 

For folks who don't have a TON of 7"s but are looking for something solid to organize - I use these boxes from BagsUnlimited, $25 buys you two and they each hold 125. https://www.bagsunlimited.com/c-280-storage-boxes.aspx

I'm talking about the second product (plastic corrugated) on this page. I bought the first product originally and I would not recommend those.

The larger sized plastic ones may work for me if I can't find something similar and a little cheaper. They are pricey but they just might do, thanks for the link!

That's funny you say that because it once was a dining room! I got rid of all the furniture in there because no one ever dined in there even once. The future Mrs. MXV is fine with leaving this a record room but insisted on white expedit to replace the current system. I'm really sad to see them go but space is the issue and the current system just doesn't hold it all anymore. That system served me well though for close to 20 years now when I came up with the idea and had a friend build them for me. 

Really?! I think that's a beautiful solution that isn't an expedit. I feel think they can look "meh" as apposed to your current setup. But I feel you, soon to be Mrs. Blues Singer HATES my current set up (expedits) so I'll be custom building in the future. I'll need those dimensions you got there ;)

Any of you Expedit users make backs for them? I want to get some 1/4" plywood, paint it and fasten it to the back so the back is enclose and it will make the shelves a little sturdier. 

For those of you who have done this, what did you fasten it to the back of the Expedit with? Screws (what size) or nails (again what size). I plan on using screws but don't know what's a good size to use so hoping those who have done this can shed some light.

so i decided i need something standing next to my turntable because i get in the habit of having a listening binge and by the end of the night, i'll have 10 record stacked up on the side of the table. 

i came across this from urban outfitters:

1774637.jpg

but the problem is, the records lean forward. it's a really stupid design. if they leaned back or stood up straight, it would be perfect. 

anyone know where to find something like this?

so i decided i need something standing next to my turntable because i get in the habit of having a listening binge and by the end of the night, i'll have 10 record stacked up on the side of the table. 

i came across this from urban outfitters:

1774637.jpg

but the problem is, the records lean forward. it's a really stupid design. if they leaned back or stood up straight, it would be perfect. 

anyone know where to find something like this?

Maybe like this?  I'd rather have something mounted to the wall personally, like they use for medical records.

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/509492/Safco-Onyx-5-Pocket-Steel-Literature/#firstTab

Any of you Expedit users make backs for them? I want to get some 1/4" plywood, paint it and fasten it to the back so the back is enclose and it will make the shelves a little sturdier. 

For those of you who have done this, what did you fasten it to the back of the Expedit with? Screws (what size) or nails (again what size). I plan on using screws but don't know what's a good size to use so hoping those who have done this can shed some light.

This exactly what I did with my 5x5 expedits. Quarter inch plywood works just fine. I recommend painting it even on the edges so it blends really well. Also use small screws, maybe a half inch. If you have a larger expedit unit be sure to screw in each row, going up and down. I originally had a backing that I nailed in but it started pressing out so I sunk about 100 small screws into it.

Another good idea is to get some crown molding cut to size in order and place these as backstops in each cube. That way your Lps won't be sunk all the way in. I like having my LPS poke out just a bit so it's easier to pick out a record.

Hope this helps.

This exactly what I did with my 5x5 expedits. Quarter inch plywood works just fine. I recommend painting it even on the edges so it blends really well. Also use small screws, maybe a half inch. If you have a larger expedit unit be sure to screw in each row, going up and down. I originally had a backing that I nailed in but it started pressing out so I sunk about 100 small screws into it.

Another good idea is to get some crown molding cut to size in order and place these as backstops in each cube. That way your Lps won't be sunk all the way in. I like having my LPS poke out just a bit so it's easier to pick out a record.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info. When I get it all together if I don't like how deep the records sit I will try that crown molding idea, sounds pretty straightforward to do. 

So, crappy pano photo, but I just finished a massive reorganization. My better half and I bought a house recently and I had a lot of my stuff stored at my parents house (six hours away) for the past year. Finally got it all to Nashville! 7"s live in the custom boxes to the right, TT and preamp next to that, and DVD's and CD's in binders in the shelf under that. Turned out pretty well  :) 2zdx6o7.jpg

• jhulud locked this topic