Post Your Record Storage Area

Any ideas to keep records from falling to one side in expedit shelf(when shelf is not completely full)?

Putting vinyl mailers in as fillers looks lame.. Wife won't go for it haha..

but I don't want to use book ends either since the portion that slides under the records could potentially damage the sleeve if people slide them in and out without knowing there's a lip underneath..

Any solutions out there?

a book holder like they have at libraries

Nice.

How did you get that finish?

Thanks! Below is what worked for me. 

- Initial sanding with 200 grit sandpaper.

- One coat of Minwax espresso stain (rubbed in with cloth)

- Apply even coat of Minwax poly finish

- After dry, lightly wet sand with 600 grit sandpaper and mineral spirits

Repeat last two steps until desired effect (I did it three times)

Any ideas to keep records from falling to one side in expedit shelf(when shelf is not completely full)?

Putting vinyl mailers in as fillers looks lame.. Wife won't go for it haha..

but I don't want to use book ends either since the portion that slides under the records could potentially damage the sleeve if people slide them in and out without knowing there's a lip underneath..

Any solutions out there?

Books?

So I just moved on the 1st and used this opportunity to rearrange my setup. I had previously been using Expedits, but grew tired of having to tilt my neck to find records. I ended up building a couple of those record store style LP bins so that lets me flip through records. 

1hrmuo.jpg

I had a bunch of friends over a couple of days ago, and people couldn't help but flip through records and pull stuff to ask about or listen to. That never ever happened with the Expedits, as it just was too much trouble squinting your eyes to read the spines. Anyway, pretty happy about how they turned out. 

EDIT:

In case anyone is interested, I got the plans from this thread: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=337891

Cost me under $50 in materials for each bin (the sheet of plywood being $40 of it). Took a couple of hours screwing everything together. I had the hardware store do the main cuts, and did the smaller cuts at home using a circular saw. 

So I just moved on the 1st and used this opportunity to rearrange my setup. I had previously been using Expedits, but grew tired of having to tilt my neck to find records. I ended up building a couple of those record store style LP bins so that lets me flip through records. 

1hrmuo.jpg

I had a bunch of friends over a couple of days ago, and people couldn't help but flip through records and pull stuff to ask about or listen to. That never ever happened with the Expedits, as it just was too much trouble squinting your eyes to read the spines. Anyway, pretty happy about how they turned out. 

EDIT:

In case anyone is interested, I got the plans from this thread: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=337891

Cost me under $50 in materials for each bin (the sheet of plywood being $40 of it). Took a couple of hours screwing everything together. I had the hardware store do the main cuts, and did the smaller cuts at home using a circular saw. 

this is really cool, but I guess I'll always prefer the visual aesthetic of the library style display. 

1hrmuo.jpg

EDIT:

I don't give a shit about your setup, tell me about that Tina Brooks LP! :) Is that original?

I don't give a shit about your setup, tell me about that Tina Brooks LP! :) Is that original?

Ha! I wish that were an original. It's actually the Music Matters reissue -- not sure if that's the 33rpm or 45rpm pictured (I have both). Sounds ridiculously good though. I'd recommend any of the Music Matters series if you're into Blue Notes, and the new 33rpm series has been great (of the six that they've released so far).

^ How many records can you fit in those? The audiokarma thread says 500-600, but it doesn't look like it will hold that many.

They look great!

Honestly, I don't know. I think 500 is reaching, and that's if you pack the bins to the brim. You'd have to take some out to allow for some room to flip through them. I'd say 350 comfortably, considering you have some gatefolds dispersed throughout your collection. 

Honestly, I don't know. I think 500 is reaching, and that's if you pack the bins to the brim. You'd have to take some out to allow for some room to flip through them. I'd say 350 comfortably, considering you have some gatefolds dispersed throughout your collection. 

That sounds closer to what it looks like.

I'd love to store my records so I can flip through them like that, but because of space I am forced into an expedit.

I have a similar design, one unit, 4 sections. It easily holds 400, and can hold more, but not a fan of squeezing them in. Nothing more annoying that a record store where you can't flip through. 

For me, it's easier than the expedit because I am constantly pulling records for my classroom, vinyl nights, porch parties, etc. Just need to get around to staining it. 

• jhulud locked this topic