Post Your Record Storage Area

I use a couple of bookshelves from Ikea. Within the shelves are baskets that contain DVDs and VHS tapes. In front of the baskets I like to display picture discs or colored vinyl. My 45 rpms have a basket as well. I like to display box sets if possible.

IMG_1218.jpg

You love Genesis and Phil Collins, and that is awesome!

Oh yes, I love those guys. Also love other prog bands like Marillion, Ayreon, Triumvirat, ELP, etc. Also love the harder stuff like Jolly and Devin Townsend.

You got some Com Truise in there as well?

Yep! Com Truise, Steve Hauschildt, Tycho, Zombi, Kraftwerk, etc. I have developed a strong liking for electronic music as of late.

I'm so afraid when I see the 2x4 standing up right.

Am I crazy to think all that weight shouldn't be that high up on a piece of ikea furniture?

As someone mentioned earlier it's sturdy and strong. Good solid piece of furniture to display vinyl and CDs.

vinyl.jpg

Took me a while to get this the way I want it, but pretty happy now. Those Ikea Expedits are absolutely perfect. (Shame Ikea is discontinuing them....)
I'm not sure if anyone else integrates their TT into their TV/BluRay/surround sound setup, but for me it made more sense than a separate receiver & speakers. If you're gonna do it this way, make sure to upgrade your L/R speakers to something semi-audiophile, and adjust the settings so there's nothing coming from the center or rears. (I actually like having a subwoofer, but I have to really turn it down on certain records or it can shake the walls....)  

vinyl.jpg

Took me a while to get this the way I want it, but pretty happy now. Those Ikea Expedits are absolutely perfect. (Shame Ikea is discontinuing them....)

I'm not sure if anyone else integrates their TT into their TV/BluRay/surround sound setup, but for me it made more sense than a separate receiver & speakers. If you're gonna do it this way, make sure to upgrade your L/R speakers to something semi-audiophile, and adjust the settings so there's nothing coming from the center or rears. (I actually like having a subwoofer, but I have to really turn it down on certain records or it can shake the walls....)  

any reason why none of those expedits are aligned? 

any reason why none of those expedits are aligned? 

Mainly the TV. If I put the Expedits right on top of each other, it overlaps the edges too much. 

There's also a lot of cords back there that you (hopefully) can't see, hence the angles. The far right Expedit does line up with my piano, which hosts the right speaker. 

Very nice! What did you use to build them?

To put it simply: Wood, PVC, a metal rod, and some sand.

There are a ton of guides that basically explain what I did, but in case anyone is interested in exactly how I did, I guess it never hurts to have too many how-to's: 

1. Measured the LxW dimensions of my speakers (9"x9"). Then I went to Lowe's and bought like 6'x12"x1" (6 foot plank. 1" thick, 12" wide. Some people who made other how-to guides had 2" thickness). When I got home I cut two pieces of wood that were just slightly (1/4" maybe?) bigger for the tops. Then I cut two 11"x11" pieces for the bases.

2. I sanded the wood and then stained it with ebony wood stain. I did two coats and then sealed it with two coats of polyurethane to protect the wood and give it a nicer finish. (Sand in between your polyurethane coats!)

3. I bought a 5' tube of 3" PVC and cut it in half. I primed the PVC tube and then spray painted it with truck bed liner paint. It wasn't my first choice of paint, but I am actually stunned at how well it turned out. It has a very nice texture.

4. I decided to use a 3/8" all-thread rod to connect the top and bottom pieces of wood. I drilled a 3/8" hole in the center of the top piece and the center of the bottom piece. You would also need to drill a hole about halfway through the wood with a paddle bit so that you can fit your washers/nuts properly. A quick Google search shows an example of what I'm talking about here:

2012-Reclaimed-2x4-Finale-030-rs550.png

5. After my PVC and wood was dry and ready to be assembled, I grabbed some heavy duty construction caulk (the kind that bonds any material to any material; in this case, wood to PVC) and put it on the bottoms of my PVC pipes that were going to go against the wood base. This was hands down the hardest part. Trying to get the PVC on your base dead-center without getting caulk all over the place was a pain in the ass. Just be patient, and at least if you used ebony, it's easy to cover your mistakes :) It was important for me to have a good seal between the PVC and the wood, because I chose to pour a bunch of playground sand ($3 for 50 pounds at a hardware store) down the PVC tube for added weight/stability.

6. When I had my PVC base centered and it was finally sealed to the wood, I ran the rod from the bottom of the base (the one thats on the floor!) up through the PVC. I noticed that I needed to cut the rod so that it would lay flush against the very top of my top piece of wood. I wouldn't want to have 1/2" of a steel rod poking out the top of my speaker stand. I used a band saw to cut it. (My old man owns an equipment rental store, so I had pretty easy access to some of these otherwise hard-to-acquire things like saws and what not). 

7. When the rod was cut to where I needed it to be, I added the sand. It's very important that the rod was in place where it needed to be because once you start pouring sand, it would just be a fucking *mess* to try to run it through. I used a cup to pour the sand in about 90% of the way to the top. I held the rod center as I did that.

8. Last stop was putting the top piece of wood on, centering it with the bottom, and then putting the top washer/nut on and tightening. After everything was secure, I just used some of that kitchen drawer rubber-lining and cut it to size to put under my speaker for added grip.

And I realize that maybe this wasn't the right place for this post, and I really did not mean for it to be so long. Aye, aye, aye. Hopefully it helps someone if they need it.

It is still a little bit under construction but I had some extra time and wanted to take some pics of my music room in my new house...its pretty packed full already

IMG_1200_zps55f9e1f2.jpg

IMG_1198_zpsbef1dfba.jpg

IMG_1201_zps6918b343.jpg

IMG_1202_zpscff61da4.jpg

IMG_1197_zpsd10a1a23.jpg

Very nice. Usually I'm not in favor or records stucking out of the their cubby holes, but placed adjacent to the CDs, there is a nice rectangular flow going on.

• jhulud locked this topic