Post Your Record Storage Area

An ex of mine bought me the vinyl copy of Pearl Jam's Vitology for Christmas back in the early 90's when they released it.  Neither of us knowing squat about collecting, I guess he figured it was something special for me to have as a big PJ fan.  So I hung onto it and took care of it.  Probably not as well as I should have knowing what I know now. Fast forward to late February of this year when I decided to begin collecting and it was the only record I owned when I first set up.  It's not shown here but it was the first thing I played on this not-so-bad boy.

A38XIpX.jpg

Fortunately (or unfortunately?) for me this was just in time to plan for RSD15 and things escalated quickly.

qqxXltx.jpg

Learned quickly that not all cabinetry is created equal and records are farking heavy so here is the latest and greatest.  Actually it's changed a little bit.  More records (duh), and a little display stand.  Also upgrading the turntable and speakers pretty soon.  

7TLF2On.jpg

Thanks for looking. :)

So after setting up a turntable in the living room over the holidays, I realized we'd all enjoy more music if I moved the collection downstairs so I've rearranged the living room to include it and I'm pretty excited about it.

EpK5ZAb.jpg

chwTmN4.jpg

xy8nlTW.jpg

Already trying to figure out what to do when I outgrow these shelves in approximately three seconds.

Would one be able to ever disassemble it again? I thought about using wood glue some time ago, but I'm moving like every two years..

I'm sure somebody will be along shortly to contradict me, but in my opinion, this stuff isn't really made to be disassembled.  I would assemble with wood glue and if you really cannot move the whole thing, I would probably just CL it when I moved and get a new one.

I'm sure somebody will be along shortly to contradict me, but in my opinion, this stuff isn't really made to be disassembled. I would assemble with wood glue and if you really cannot move the whole thing, I would probably just CL it when I moved and get a new one.

Yeah...I've moved with expedits, and disassembled them and it's not ideal.

I'd side with yard ore on not disassembling/reassembling them if you can avoid it.

When we move next time I'm taking the 2x4 and 2x2 assembled but getting rid of my poor 4x4 with the "TV cubby."

926804_162823210748958_589156391_n.jpg

about to undergo some minor changes/additions when it comes to what's hung on the walls, but this is the basic idea.

You have truly inspired me. I will be doing something very similar with a bunch of signed posters/LP covers etc. 

Thanks for the idea. I love the randomness, yet its still neat

Here is my current setup.

lVrO3bv.jpg?1

However, it's gotten even more full since this photo, and rather than find another place for the books, I was hoping to get another single threshold 3-cube storage shelves, from Target, but it's looks like they discontinued these out of nowhere. They only have the 2-cube and 4-cube single storage shelves. http://www.target.com/c/cubbies-cube-storage-organization-home/threshold/-/N-558lgZ55p5h 

Does anyone know where I might be able to purchase one of the single 3 cube shelves?

I'm sure somebody will be along shortly to contradict me, but in my opinion, this stuff isn't really made to be disassembled. I would assemble with wood glue and if you really cannot move the whole thing, I would probably just CL it when I moved and get a new one.

I agree with this completely. Disassembling and reassembling furniture made out of particle board is not in your best interest. Ikea is great for convenience and initial price, but if sturdiness and longevity are a concern, spend the extra money on something made of real wood or build something yourself.

Here is my current setup.lVrO3bv.jpg?1

However, it's gotten even more full since this photo, and rather than find another place for the books, I was hoping to get another single threshold 3-cube storage shelves, from Target, but it's looks like they discontinued these out of nowhere. They only have the 2-cube and 4-cube single storage shelves. http://www.target.com/c/cubbies-cube-storage-organization-home/threshold/-/N-558lgZ55p5h 

Does anyone know where I might be able to purchase one of the single 3 cube shelves?

This one

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Better-Homes-and-Gardens-3-Cube-Organizer-Multiple-Colors/29741116?action=product_interest&action_type=title&item_id=29741116&placement_id=irs-302-m3&strategy=PWVUB&visitor_id&category=&client_guid=fd801ecd-e2bb-4c72-b24f-fdb5bc5e9e48&customer_id_enc&config_id=302&parent_item_id=40822756&parent_anchor_item_id=40822756&guid=436a3916-e080-4985-b12e-9df0dde08dd2&bucket_id=irsbucketdefault&beacon_version=1.0.1&findingMethod=p13n

For what it is worth, I move about every 12 months and I have two of the 5x5 expedits which are both at 100% max capacity as well as about 6-7 other expedits of various sizes.

I've taken mine apart and put them back together about 6 times and they are just fine. Not wobbly, not even a little concerning.

If you're careful, it's a non-issue.

Lol that's a Man Of Steel print! I can totally see that though at first glance.

haha thanks! It is indeed Man of Steel.. I could see where you got that from as well though.

Ah my bad, it definitely looks like some alternative art featuring Tetsuo with his red cape from the final scene of the film :P

lVrO3bv.jpg?1

Dude, ANAMANAGUCHI <3 I love that record.

You have truly inspired me. I will be doing something very similar with a bunch of signed posters/LP covers etc. 

Thanks for the idea. I love the randomness, yet its still neat

thanks so much! it looks kind of random in this picture, but that's because i just ditched the computer that was sitting in the left corner under the Queers poster, with the monitor directly to its right. the turntable was totally on the other side basically under the boxing glove (which is an homage to the cover art of one of the releases i put out last year), so the posters fit PERFECTLY with everything that was beneath them. here's what it looked like originally:

1010864_10100995217832657_40596350404664

if you notice, each poster within an individual column is the same width as every other poster in that column. that made the side-to-side growth easier and more uniformed as i got more posters. i recently had to add the 4x4 unit, so now i can hang a few of the bigger (18 x 24, etc) posters above that and not have to worry about matching sizes because one poster will complete a column above that expedit.

as long as you have a plan in place before you start hanging things, you can make it look pretty awesome pretty easily.

yes, they are bowling alley chairs. they're from the Fireside Bowl, actually. the big framed piece above it is a picture of the old marquee under the bowling pin sign out front. the yellow thing is the poster from Alkaline Trio's "Goddamnit" record release show at Fireside on October 2, 1998 (with Jets To Brazil and The Promise Ring) and the photograph is of Alkaline Trio during their performance that night, taken from the side of the stage by Rob Kellenberger (of Slapstick, Tuesday, Colossal, Smoking Popes, Rapids, etc.)

yes, they are bowling alley chairs. they're from the Fireside Bowl, actually. the big framed piece above it is a picture of the old marquee under the bowling pin sign out front. the yellow thing is the poster from Alkaline Trio's "Goddamnit" record release show at Fireside on October 2, 1998 (with Jets To Brazil and The Promise Ring) and the photograph is of Alkaline Trio during their performance that night, taken from the side of the stage by Rob Kellenberger (of Slapstick, Tuesday, Colossal, Smoking Popes, Rapids, etc.)

Im 152 pages in from the begining but this is by far my favorite room. Nice job, bro.

pics soon!  we just moved to a new house, and there's a whole room that is just my record room and i'm losing my mind.  I condensed down from 2 4x2 expedits to 1 4x4 at the moment.  we still have to figure out something for all of the components to sit in or rest on to fill out the rest of the room.  i have 2 eames plastic chairs in there, and still need a new table for between them as well for relaxing.  might swap them out for one of the big eames lounge chair knockoffs from amazon, but i haven't pulled the trigger on that yet.  just gotta find a few more crucial pieces, and i'll have pics, I promise, haha.

pics soon! we just moved to a new house, and there's a whole room that is just my record room and i'm losing my mind. I condensed down from 2 4x2 expedits to 1 4x4 at the moment. we still have to figure out something for all of the components to sit in or rest on to fill out the rest of the room. i have 2 eames plastic chairs in there, and still need a new table for between them as well for relaxing. might swap them out for one of the big eames lounge chair knockoffs from amazon, but i haven't pulled the trigger on that yet. just gotta find a few more crucial pieces, and i'll have pics, I promise, haha.

real Eames?

Thought i would add my setup. i know there is plenty wrong here. the TT, the speakers, etc. All to be upgraded in the short future. had to compromise with GF to let her add her girly touch. still happy with how my collection is coming (only been about 3 months of actually purchasing records) 

i4xkYar.jpg

• jhulud locked this topic