Post Your Record Storage Area

Definitely looking into it. They are highly customizable because you can etch anything. The acrylic is really expensive though. I'm researching cheaper materials.

You could just do them out of plywood. It'd be so much cheaper. Only problem is, it wouldn't be transparent. Do you have a laser machine for the etching? 

Here's one I made for a recent project (had to make a game based on an architect): http://imgur.com/IdQo3mk

I love that stereo cabinet, where did you get that? I've been looking for something similar.

I picked it up at Best Buy, here's a link to the actual unit. Pretty sure I bought it on sale, bc I remember spending about $100 for it. 

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/whalen-furniture-audio-tower-cherry/9886557.p?id=1218194306982&skuId=9886557

You could just do them out of plywood. It'd be so much cheaper. Only problem is, it wouldn't be transparent. Do you have a laser machine for the etching? 

Here's one I made for a recent project (had to make a game based on an architect): http://imgur.com/IdQo3mk

This is dope!! Tadao Ando?

I may look into making one of those boxes for myself (for another artist tho) as I have access to my schools laser cutters being in the architecture department myself.

Definitely could do a cheaper material but the acrylic looks amazing for the transparency and etching. I use my work's laser cutter.

You sure have balls of steel to post a picture of your Crosley in here ;)

It's not much, but it gets the job done! I honestly don't spin my records too often, so potential damage done by the Crosley is kept very minimal. I'm trying to save up money for a Pro-Ject Carbon, Audio Engine A5+'s, etc... but it's hard when the most you can make at your job is $200/week and you're constantly buying albums lol

EDIT: That last part was an exaggeration. Didn't think I'd have to defend myself here.

It's not much, but it gets the job done! I honestly don't spin my records too often, so potential damage done by the Crosley is kept very minimal. I'm trying to save up money for a Pro-Ject Carbon, Audio Engine A5+'s, etc... but it's hard when the most you can make at your job is $200/week and you're constantly buying albums lol

I guess most of us have been there, so more power to you! I think it's big part of the fun to step up your game every once in a while and delve into the fathomless abyss of hi-fi and audio. 

Yet one more person to make note of to not by records from in the future.

Who said I planned on selling you my records though? No need for elitism.

I mean, maybe buy fewer records for a while and save up for a real deck?

I'm trying... it's hard, I'm doing better lately though! I have the setup I want put together as a bundle on Turntable Lab, just to get a general price, and it comes to about $1200 before shipping. I figure I can save a few hundred if I'm able to find parts used but in acceptable condition.

I guess most of us have been there, so more power to you! I think it's big part of the fun to step up your game every once in a while and delve into the fathomless abyss of hi-fi and audio. 

I know my Crosley isn't optimal, but it'll do until I can afford something better. I'm excited to finally upgrade though! The Pro-Ject Carbon definitely sounds like a great choice, I've heard it's the best audiophile quality turntable you'll get for under $1k. Any suggestions as far as amp/pre-amps go? I admit I don't really know much about them yet.

Also, downvoting me because you don't like my record player? You're all a bunch of children lol

Who said I planned on selling you my records though? No need for elitism.

Elitism? Hardly.

Just don't want to purchase any LPs that were previously played on a Crosley. Does that make me a bad person?

No one said you were selling any, but in the event I see you have anything for sale, at least I will know enough to pass.

I could definitely help you out with some recommendations on Preamp etc, but why bother if you just keep buying LPs and don't care enough to save and upgrade.

You might want to check out the awesome beginners guide that slinch made in the turntable sub-forum, there is a ton of info and recommendations there.

Much appreciated, thanks!

Elitism? Hardly.

Just don't want to purchase any LPs that were previously played on a Crosley. Does that make me a bad person?

No one said you were selling any, but in the event I see you have anything for sale, at least I will know enough to pass.

I'm not saying you're a bad person, but you buying my records was never a concern and the whole comment was just sort of out of left field. Like I mentioned above, I'm well aware my Crosley isn't optimal and I'm working on upgrading as soon as possible.

LOL at all the -1s from this kid ~ Petulant child of an adult being snarky on the internet because he doesn't approve of someone else's record player

I don't need to justify my equipment to anyone, if I knew sharing my setup here would lead to this I would have just kept it to myself. Also, it's awfully ironic that your post originally ended with "grow up" yet you're going through downvoting my posts, all because you don't approve of my record player, which led me to start downvoting yours in the first place.

Please oh please, I beg you to reconsider purchasing my records when I inevitably put them up for sale because I absolutely need your approval and acceptance. Woof.

I know my Crosley isn't optimal, but it'll do until I can afford something better. I'm excited to finally upgrade though! The Pro-Ject Carbon definitely sounds like a great choice, I've heard it's the best audiophile quality turntable you'll get for under $1k. Any suggestions as far as amp/pre-amps go? I admit I don't really know much about them yet.

You might want to check out the awesome beginners guide that slinch made in the turntable sub-forum, there is a ton of info and recommendations there.

^^^ This.

There's such a vast amount of solid and easily digestible information on the first page, it's pretty much unprecedented. If you opt for a Pro-Ject though, you might want to check out their Phono-Box. It's $100 very well spent.

If you're making $200 a week you should stop buying records and start looking for a new job that pays better, or look into putting the money you make towards educating yourself for a better career path.

If you're making $200 a week you should stop buying records and start looking for a new job that pays better, or look into putting the money you make towards educating yourself for a better career path.

That's not what I came here to discuss and it's really unfair of you to put me on the spot like that, but thank you. I exaggerated a little when I said I'm buying records "constantly", but I do plan on not buying them as frequently so I can save up for the better turntable faster. Sharing my photos in here was a mistake, I'll come back when my setup is adequate enough lol

That's not what I came here to discuss and it's really unfair of you to put me on the spot like that, but thank you. I exaggerated a little when I said I'm buying records "constantly", but I do plan on not buying them as frequently so I can save up for the better turntable faster. Sharing my photos in here was a mistake, I'll come back when my setup is adequate enough lol

No, sharing what you made here was a mistake and unprofessional, regardless of how much you make.  That being said, I thought my comment was appropriate. I could have said, "Hey kid, get a real fucking job and stop dicking around making $200 a week while spending most of what you make on records".  I assume that would have bent you out of shape far more than my initial comment.  Clearly your parent(s) aren't parenting, so apparently people on a message board need to do their job.

No, sharing what you made here was a mistake and unprofessional, regardless of how much you make. That being said I thought my comment was appropriate. I could have said, "Hey kid, get a real fucking job and stop dicking around making $200 a week while spending most of what you make on records". I assume that would have bent you out of shape far more than my initial comment. Clearly your parent(s) aren't parenting, so apparently people on a message board need to do their job.

It's brilliant the assumptions we can make based on an exaggerated quote taken out of context, isn't it? I agree, it was a mistake being so open about how much I make, but I didn't expect to be scrutinized and put down either. Also, that last part was more than uncalled for. I won't explain myself to you but even if I spent the entirety of my paychecks on my record collection that would still be none of your business.

• jhulud locked this topic