Post Your Record Storage Area

::sigh::

I love when people share how much money they make, it's super mature.

That said, dude, just start saving money to buy something that won't fuck up your records. I know it's tough to miss out on a couple "SUPER RAD VARIANTS THAT WILL SKYROCKET IN PRICE! ZOMG!!!" but it's worth it.

Whatever. I don't care if you ruin shit you own, as long as you never try to sell it to someone as in better condition than it actually is.

Like I said, it was a poorly thought out mistake. I had just gotten home from work and was looking for some friendly conversation, I was too open and I take responsibility for that. A lot of the comments made towards me up to this point have been ridiculously uncalled for though. I could post screenshots of my pay stubs and write out a complete history of my spending for you all to see and it still wouldn't be your right to comment or disagree on it.

And again, I am in the process of saving but things happen and yea every now and then i see something I opt not to pass on. God forbid.

Like I said, it was a poorly thought out mistake. I had just gotten home from work and was looking for some friendly conversation, I was too open and I take responsibility for that. A lot of the comments made towards me up to this point have been ridiculously uncalled for though. I could post screenshots of my pay stubs and write out a complete history of my spending for you all to see and it still wouldn't be your right to comment ot disagree on it.

That's where you're wrong though...you put it out there, as you said it was a bad idea. People have every right to comment on it. Live and learn, dude.

Another suggestion is do cheaper upgrades first rather than saving up a grand to drop on that. Buy a u turn orbit for about $200 and an old receiver with a phono input and there's your first hi fi setup. I still use an old Pioneer amp that I got for free and fixed up, and it blows my friends setups out of the water. Not all nice sounding stuff has to be pricey af. "when I have a little money I buy records; if there's any left I buy food and clothes."

Correct.No different than posting a pic of your setup, and then whining when people share their opinion.

And that is where I disagree. I came here to discuss the topic at hand, not be scrutinized for my line of work and spending habits that some of you seem to know so much about. Yeah, I made the mistake of sharing some personal information I shouldn't have but that doesn't justify the personal attacks. You have the freedom and the right to comment, but as adults I just expected more. Lesson learned.

Another suggestion is do cheaper upgrades first rather than saving up a grand to drop on that. Buy a u turn orbit for about $200 and an old receiver with a phono input and there's your first hi fi setup. I still use an old Pioneer amp that I got for free and fixed up, and it blows my friends setups out of the water. Not all nice sounding stuff has to be pricey af. "when I have a little money I buy records; if there's any left I buy food and clothes."

Yeah I'm definitely a little too set in doing this all at once, I'm better off taking it in strides. I've heard the Orbit is a fantastic choice as well, friends of mine have their own. Would you personally reccomend it over the Carbon though? The carbon is a little more expensive but it seems like a solid investment for the price difference, especially with the carbon tone arm. Also, not like it matters, but I slightly prefer the Carbom aesthetically (although they both look pretty similar don't they).

EDIT: Don't mind any typos, on my phone and the touch screen/auto correct is sorta wonkey

I know many share the sentiment, but I never understood this. Why is sharing how much you spend perfectly normal but sharing how much you make such a taboo topic?

My parents were like that, we never discussed how much either of them made, even as I've gotten older.

The store manager at a Target I used to work at asked me why it was so taboo here in the states for families to talk about how much the parents made, him being from Colombia said his family always shared that information

with one another.

::sigh::

I love when people share how much money they make, it's super mature.

That said, dude, just start saving money to buy something that won't fuck up your records. I know it's tough to miss out on a couple "SUPER RAD VARIANTS THAT WILL SKYROCKET IN PRICE! ZOMG!!!" but it's worth it.

Whatever. I don't care if you ruin shit you own, as long as you never try to sell it to someone as in better condition than it actually is.

Always the voice of wisdom.

Dude that looks sweet! are those just Ikea Kallax shelves with feet put on, or are those something else?

Thank you! It's actually the older expedit shelves, but essentially yes. It's a 2x2 and 4x4 together on capita legs. Two of the cubes aren't accessible in the corner so I use them for storing random stuff I don't ever need but don't want to throw out haha.

You could just do them out of plywood. It'd be so much cheaper. Only problem is, it wouldn't be transparent. Do you have a laser machine for the etching? 

Here's one I made for a recent project (had to make a game based on an architect): http://imgur.com/IdQo3mk

Any reason why to not make straight cuts and using a bond/solvent to clean it up?

Who said I planned on selling you my records though? No need for elitism.

I'm trying... it's hard, I'm doing better lately though! I have the setup I want put together as a bundle on Turntable Lab, just to get a general price, and it comes to about $1200 before shipping. I figure I can save a few hundred if I'm able to find parts used but in acceptable condition.

I know my Crosley isn't optimal, but it'll do until I can afford something better. I'm excited to finally upgrade though! The Pro-Ject Carbon definitely sounds like a great choice, I've heard it's the best audiophile quality turntable you'll get for under $1k. Any suggestions as far as amp/pre-amps go? I admit I don't really know much about them yet.

Also, downvoting me because you don't like my record player? You're all a bunch of children lol

The Carbon is definitely NOT the best sub-1k TT...

• jhulud locked this topic