Post Your Record Storage Area

I just bought a carbon a few weeks ago.  It sounds great and looks great,.  Just be sure to immediately throw those shit RCA cables that come with it in the garbage.  The anti-skate weight can be a little tedious and make you feel like you're blind, but it's a great TT.  Bought mine on Amazon, but they are available on ebay for about $70 less if you're into that kind of thing

Which Denon are you looking at?  Didn't even know they made TTs.  It may just be me, but I always associate Denon with "cheap".

Bad move.

I would strongly recommend you reverse that decision.  One thing you might consider is looking around for a nice used Technics 1200MK2.  For the money they're one of the best tables you can find.

Just wondering, what makes you guys say this? Is the Carbon just that much better for the price or do Denons not make good products? I've done a little bit of research into the model I'm interested in and have heard nothing but good things about it with the exception of the cartridge which doesn't bother me because I'd be buying it with an Ortofon 2M Blue upgrade.

I just bought a carbon a few weeks ago.  It sounds great and looks great,.  Just be sure to immediately throw those shit RCA cables that come with it in the garbage.  The anti-skate weight can be a little tedious and make you feel like you're blind, but it's a great TT.  Bought mine on Amazon, but they are available on ebay for about $70 less if you're into that kind of thing

Which Denon are you looking at?  Didn't even know they made TTs.  It may just be me, but I always associate Denon with "cheap".

I'm interested in the Denon DP-300F. It's slightly cheaper than the Carbon at the expense of the carbon tone arm but has other features I like and is aesthetically similar to the Carbon (which means absolutely nothing in the long run, I just love the simplistic design of the Carbon and if I'm going to pay this much for a turntable I want one that I'll enjoy looking at too). 

Needle Doctor has a bundle with the turntable, Ortofon 2M Red upgrade and Audio Engine A5+ speakers for $811 before shipping but I'm considering buying another bundle that they have for $555 that includes the turntable and an Ortofon 2M Blue upgrade and then purchasing the speakers somewhere else.

Excuse me for being a noob but I don't know how to embed so here's a demo video of the setup.

Any reason why to not make straight cuts and using a bond/solvent to clean it up?

Mostly because the fingerjoints are stronger and they're also known as "Japanese joinery" so I thought that was fitting for a game based on a Japanese architect.

I actually used a liquid cement/solvent for the acrylic. Next time for the acrylic, I would do straight cuts because the solvent just runs straight through the cracks and messes up the finish. 

What line of work are you in? That's a really clean workspace.

I work in insurance, doing fraud investigation, it involves a lot of web searches and restricted databases. It can be pretty interesting!

The iMac is for personal use, I used to do a lot of work on Logic Pro recording my own music etc, but I don't have as much time for that these days unfortunately. The monitor next to it connects to my work laptop for when I'm working.

Thinking of getting rid of the iMac and picking up a cheap iPad, then I can use it for the odd bit of GarageBand every now and then.

Thanks guys! The Ghostbusters one is the odd one out with the mount though so I may redo that one. (edit: The frames are Ribba frames from Ikea - not sure if they still sell them - here's what I use with the frames though https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/LaserFrame?section_id=all&page=1)

Literally got that Persephone print back from the framers this weekend. I'm thinking of taking the other frames down and just having that, but I dunno, we'll see. Sometimes it feels really cluttered in there so I'm trying to work out ways of keeping it tidy. Think I just need a bigger space!

My dad and I built a shelf yesterday using the audio karma plans. It came out great, now we just have to build 3 more to hold everything!

Looks like each section will hold ~80 non gatefold albums, so around 320 per shelf. No way this thing holds 500-600 like the plans say, you would be lucky to fit 400 comfortably with room to flip.

Thought it was about time I posted pictures of my man-cave in here, especially after drooling over everyone else's pictures for so long! A bit of a small space, and a few things are a work in progress...

WP_20160228_12_02_39_Pro.jpg

The record you're playing is a very nice choice... :)

Where did you get the stand your receiver is under? 

The feet look like the ones you can buy at Ikea...I'd guess it's self-made!

Yep, I made it myself. I basically bought the main top part of the desk again and cut it in half, and then stuck some ikea legs on the bottom. Very easy to do, and very cheap. When I get a little more time I'll try and find the specific items on the Ikea site. If you do it, make sure you use a circular saw so it's nice and clean. The back isn't pretty but you never see that...

I know obviously putting the TT on top of the amp isn't a great idea so I figured this would be a way of adding some space between them, and also to try and get a little more distance from my speakers.

My dad and I built a shelf yesterday using the audio karma plans. It came out great, now we just have to build 3 more to hold everything!

Looks like each section will hold ~80 non gatefold albums, so around 320 per shelf. No way this thing holds 500-600 like the plans say, you would be lucky to fit 400 comfortably with room to flip.

I'm a dummy and didn't add a picture

A09EB0F0-9C96-4A64-BB1A-B49D63164BA1_zps

IMG_1345_zpsc8zhhcvz.jpg

Everything is jam packed for now and it makes me claustrophobic just looking at it.. want to

get a vertical stand, and obviously just more space period so my speakers won't be on the same surface as the record player (never realized that was a big no-no until I started reading on this site, should've been obvious though..) Looking at upgrading everything but that receiver

eventually

If anybody else was interested in building a turntable stand like Le Gogh, I found the ikea legs. 

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10267895/

I plan on picking up a set and spray painting them metallic black to match some other hardware I have around the house. 

This was the table top. There are already a couple or predrilled holes on one end I believe, but you'll have to wing it with the rest once you cut it.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/art/00251135/

My advice on cutting is to mark the line with a pencil, and then masking tape around it to help keep the cut clean. You don't want the saw dragging across the top and marking it.

Good luck!

If anybody else was interested in building a turntable stand like Le Gogh, I found the ikea legs. 

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10267895/

I plan on picking up a set and spray painting them metallic black to match some other hardware I have around the house. 

That's what I used for mine. They come in 3 sizes. I went with the 6" legs. Here is what it looks like when I set it up before adding records

11248916_1590171677909756_443325501_n.jp

• jhulud locked this topic