Post Your Record Storage Area

1 hour ago, Skibum00 said:

Yeah, it's the Better Homes and Gardens version from Walmart. 

Okay, thanks for answering. I was hoping someone else made that size. I need another large storage piece but I won't be able to move anything larger than that size out of my basement. I bought one on clearance after they were discontinued. Then I learned why they were discontinued while I was assembling it.

18 hours ago, dnl said:

Okay, thanks for answering. I was hoping someone else made that size. I need another large storage piece but I won't be able to move anything larger than that size out of my basement. I bought one on clearance after they were discontinued. Then I learned why they were discontinued while I was assembling it.

Yeah I have had two Expedits and one Kallax from Ikea and they are certainly a step up in quality from the Walmart one. The 3x4 was just the sweet spot for the amount of records I have, and the finish was a nice change from the standard brown I always had from Ikea.

This topic is giving me such a woody.

I collected fiercely in the 1990s, in retrospect the best time possible since everybody was dumping LPs. I'd spend $100 or $200 at Jerry's in Pittsburgh or the various stores in Chicago, DC, the East Village, Vancouver, London, San Francisco ... and I'd come away with more LPs than I could carry. Sometimes I had to find a UPS drop-off before I got back on a plane. (There were no UPS Stores back then.)

The first of two kids arrived in 1999 and they took most of my time, so I've barely bought any vinyl in the last 15 years. But for her 17th birthday last year the older one got an RP-1 she can take to college ("university" for those outside the US), along with 50 or 60 duplicates from my stash. Seriously, nobody should leave home without Blood on the Tracks and Astral Weeks (green label, natch) at the very least. I've bought a few things here and there when I find nice stuff for less than $25 or even less than $20 per disk. (Seriously? $25 for a single LP? WTH?!)

I'm lucky enough to work from home, and we have a semi-finished attic, so the first shot is the view from my desk, and once or twice a day I climb into the chair to listen to one side as a break.

Rock and pop is on the left; jazz, blues, and a small batch of classical live on the right. We old guys have a lot of the gems, like the original Art Pepper on the rack to the left above the 'table. Warms my heart that so many youngsters are keeping vinyl alive.

https://imgur.com/08cq7ZW

https://imgur.com/SCXQ6Kj

https://imgur.com/VmTbgSk

By the way, the plural of vinyl is "vinyl." You no more pick up "vinyl" (with an s) than you pick up "fishes" at the market for dinner. Stop me gnashing my teeth. Please.

Be good, kids. Enjoy what you've got. These are good times for music, if for little else.

If anybody cares: VPI Aries I with Lyra Helikon cartridge, Rowland Capri preamp, Rowland 102 amp (for summer), Mac Mini file server with Schiit Modi Multibit DAC and two hard drives (one a mirror of the other, backed up every day at 4AM), Quicksilver Audio Silver Sixty mono amps with stock EL-34s (for the cool months), Scansonic 2.5 speakers, Sunfire sub, DIY DH Labs cabling throughout. CDs in the background are all ripped to the server now, along with about 2000 live shows by various groups, especially the Grateful Dead. Anybody want the little silver disks? :)

Edited by phantomtides
typo that affects meaning

33 minutes ago, phantomtides said:

By the way, the plural of vinyl is "vinyl." You no more pick up "vinyl" than you pick up "fishes" at the market for dinner. Stop me gnashing my teeth. Please.

I got no idea why it won't let me type "vinyl" with an "s" on the end. I've tried three times. It corrects each time — basically proving my point, amirite?

Edited by phantomtides

19 minutes ago, Holo said:

I'm 17. Be my parent instead? I'm currently a few years in and rocking somewhere around 400-450 albums.

or just let me listen on that like once <3

If you're 17 and you have 400 LPs already you don't need my stinkin' help —that's WAY more than I had at that age, and some of them were pure shite from the early 80s!

OTOH, I'm sure my daughter would trade places with you just to prove what a shitty parent I am. ('Twas always thus, I suppose. She's actually a great kid. And as a dad I'm at least a 4 out of 10, maybe even a 6 on a good day.)

5 minutes ago, phantomtides said:

If you're 17 and you have 400 LPs already you don't need my stinkin' help —that's WAY more than I had at that age, and some of them were pure shite from the early 80s!

OTOH, I'm sure my daughter would trade places with you just to prove what a shitty parent I am. ('Twas always thus, I suppose. She's actually a great kid. And as a dad I'm at least a 4 out of 10, maybe even a 6 on a good day.)

The fact that I missed out on 90s era deals just bums me out. Maybe I'll clean my room and post my setup at some point. Given my age and that I am currently not working I am pretty goddamn satisfied with it. 90s 100wpc stereo amp, Polk TSi400s, and a Pro-Ject Carbon Debut.

57 minutes ago, phantomtides said:

Attic_system_7_D2_6098.jpg

Cheese and rice!

I'm so sad I missed the 90's deals.  I was introduced to music on cassette and just went forward from there, it wasn't until 20 years later I actually discovered vinyl.  I've been collecting for just over a year now and have ~150-175 records.  Once I consolidate all my record holding areas I'll take a pic.

1 hour ago, scentofdeath said:

Hi, Are these Kallax 5x5 sturdy enough to be filled with records? Does anyone have one of these full?

The Kallax series has good units, assuming you put them together properly and don't completely overfill them. I have two, (2x2 and 2x4) and they've been solid for years. The vast majority of the people I know who buy records use them and have had good experiences. 

Edited by Han Solo

On 3/23/2017 at 10:15 AM, phantomtides said:

This topic is giving me such a woody.

I collected fiercely in the 1990s, in retrospect the best time possible since everybody was dumping LPs. I'd spend $100 or $200 at Jerry's in Pittsburgh or the various stores in Chicago, DC, the East Village, Vancouver, London, San Francisco ... and I'd come away with more LPs than I could carry. Sometimes I had to find a UPS drop-off before I got back on a plane. (There were no UPS Stores back then.)

The first of two kids arrived in 1999 and they took most of my time, so I've barely bought any vinyl in the last 15 years. But for her 17th birthday last year the older one got an RP-1 she can take to college ("university" for those outside the US), along with 50 or 60 duplicates from my stash. Seriously, nobody should leave home without Blood on the Tracks and Astral Weeks (green label, natch) at the very least. I've bought a few things here and there when I find nice stuff for less than $25 or even less than $20 per disk. (Seriously? $25 for a single LP? WTH?!)

I'm lucky enough to work from home, and we have a semi-finished attic, so the first shot is the view from my desk, and once or twice a day I climb into the chair to listen to one side as a break.

Rock and pop is on the left; jazz, blues, and a small batch of classical live on the right. We old guys have a lot of the gems, like the original Art Pepper on the rack to the left above the 'table. Warms my heart that so many youngsters are keeping vinyl alive.

Attic_system_7_D2_6098.jpg

Attic_system_7_D2_6100.jpg

Attic_system_7_D2_6102.jpg

By the way, the plural of vinyl is "vinyl." You no more pick up "vinyl" than you pick up "fishes" at the market for dinner. Stop me gnashing my teeth. Please.

Be good, kids. Enjoy what you've got. These are good times for music, if for little else.

If anybody cares: VPI Aries I with Lyra Helikon cartridge, Rowland Capri preamp, Rowland 102 amp (for summer), Mac Mini file server with Schiit Modi Multibit DAC and two hard drives (one a mirror of the other, backed up every day at 4AM), Quicksilver Audio Silver Sixty mono amps with stock EL-34s (for the cool months), Scansonic 2.5 speakers, Sunfire sub, DIY DH Labs cabling throughout. CDs in the background are all ripped to the server now, along with about 2000 live shows by various groups, especially the Grateful Dead. Anybody want the little silver disks? :)

I want the Art Pepper :)

On 3/23/2017 at 1:15 PM, phantomtides said:

Attic_system_7_D2_6102.jpg

A) holy shit, man. 

B - why would you need different power tubes for different seasons?  Very curious about that. 

C) What's your favorite Dead era? 

3 hours ago, slinch said:

He's got a solid state amp for summer and a tube amp for winter, because tubes run hot.

Ah yeah okay you're right.  I was looking at the picture and reading it and it was late so I was half-asleep, and for some reason I was taking it that he meant he had 2 different tube amps, one for each season.  I was like "why do you need different tubes for different weather...." lol. 

• jhulud locked this topic