Post Your Record Storage Area

well went through all 59 pages last night and was hoping to see some more custom jobs to get ideas for my coffee table/window table/vinyl holder thingy im making this weekend.

90% had to be expedit or similar. all in all though some really nice collections and set ups!

I'm literally waiting on the wood glu to dry on my custom job as i type this...

But again, it's just a similar setup as the expedit...

Just thinner and put together better...haha...

I'll post pics when i'm done

I had a realtor over Saturday as we are getting ready to stage my house to sell. Her big sticking point:

15 milk crates of LPs - she says they have to go to storage or be moved to someone else's house. One person's eyesore is another person's lifeblood. I'm going to have to reduce to two crates until the house is sold.

The lesson: invest in some nice shelving.

Well yeah I have an idea for a long like 5-6ft table, about 1.5ft deep. kinda low to the ground you could sit in a chair or on the ground itself. The top could hold my tt, amp, pre-amp, headphones, etc. it would have a rack all along the bottom for records. Not sure if I want a rack with dividers (similar to expedit storage), drawers so i can flip through them, halfway drawers where you can see 75% of the record but still pull the drawer out to flip through, etc etc. Toying with a lot of ideas.

One of my concerns is room, in 6 months I have collected 150 albums (I am slowing down past month or two as I bought most of what I want and listen to) so I want to be able to hold 400-500 in the end.

Anyway been drawing some stuff up and looking through the stockpile of cherry, walnut, oak my dad has in storage and plan on spending a full day soon to work on it.

ps: post pictures when you are finished!

• 2 weeks later...

Well to bump the thread and give a rather pointless update the table has been started. Two weekends ago we spent about 10 hours working on laminating some pieces of black walnut and working on the top. Majority of time was spent making plans, going to wood store, and some arguing.

This past weekend we spent 5-6 hours Saturday and same on Sunday. We have the table pretty much pieced out and ready to make the drawers and finally finishing and sanding. So far got the top, legs, bottom, sides, railings, cut, dado'ed, mortise and tendons cut, etc etc.

I would say majority of it is walnut but the areas like the sides between drawers and the bottom shelf (which will be covered by shelves) is either plywood, poplar, or birch (to be stained later in case some is a tad visible. For most pieces we will come back and put a strip of walnut over the front to cover the stained visible section anyway.

A lot of work so far of which my dad (as always since I was a kid) does most of the work and I do secondary measuring, organizing, and occasional cutting etc. He is like one of those grumpy old people who wants it their way and when I do it I am too slow or not doing it in an efficient way lol.

It's been years since he has done wood work as most of his time is doing gun work now, but as always when in his shop learning a ton of shit.

If anyone cares I will post a few progress pictures as time goes on. Probably have another 2-3 days of work.

I've got a four by four expedit with my turntable and stereo on top for most of my collection. The bands I have a particular amount of stuff or Test PRessings from (Gaslight, Fake Problems, Manic Street Preachers, The Hold Steady, Jimmy Eat World, Tim Barry, Thursday, Taking Back Sunday) are housed in my old record cabinet with a glass door and top.

I'll get a picture when things are set up a little better. I have some stuff I still need to put on the walls to fill in the space where I used to have a shelf, and in turn clean up the shelves of the expedit.

When I inherit my Florida condo, I'm going to model it after the owner's home in High Fidelity.

he has a pretty awesome archers of loaf tour poster by his front door that i envy every time i watch that movie.

I wonder what they did with the props for that movie? Probably sitting in a warehouse somewhere.....want to kick in the doors and loot dat shit!?

• jhulud locked this topic