Post Your Record Storage Area

does anybody store their very valuable vinyl completely separate for their regular collection? here's my set up, yes, i'm a nerd and somewhat paranoid, but i have my regular collection set up in my vinyl, cassette and cd room, but i have a special safe for my rare coalesce, botch, cave in and converge vinyl, but this is what makes me a super nerd. the most valuable and rare records i have are stored in a safety deposit box at my bank. i keep my coalesce "last call for the living" weird shapes. 1-strawberry hexagon, 2 copies ever made, 2-tan ooze, 9 copies ever made, my queen "bohemian rhapsody" 7" on clear blue, 200 copies ever made (appraised @ $1,825.59)... and my botch "american nervoso" on baby blue vinyl, 15 copies ever made. does this make me look crazy, over protective or paranoid?

doesnt make you overprotective i guess, but i dont understand the point of keeping records in a box way away from home where they can be listened to and/or at least viewed and enjoyed.

granted some of those records are worth a couple hundred (or in one case 1800).

but you dont store a thousand dollar flat screen TV in a safety deposit box. or your entire dvd collection in a safe deposit box.

doesnt make you overprotective i guess, but i dont understand the point of keeping records in a box way away from home where they can be listened to and/or at least viewed and enjoyed.

granted some of those records are worth a couple hundred (or in one case 1800).

but you dont store a thousand dollar flat screen TV in a safety deposit box. or your entire dvd collection in a safe deposit box.

i keep them there just in case there is a fire here or whatever. i know the bank could have a fire as well, but the chances of that happening are very slim and i rent right now, so they are safer there. those records are almost irreplaceable, 2 copies, 9 copies and 15 copies. it took me years and years of searching to find those records and i don't play them because i have them on cd. and as expensive as flat screen t.v. can be, you can always get another one and those records i have, i may never see again. i'd rather be safe than sorry. i do get enjoyment from them and i will continue to get enjoyment from them when i buy a home and then place them on the wall and look at them until the day i die and then my friends may have them to enjoy. except my coalesce collection. all that vinyl is going in the casket with me to listen to on the way to hell, if it exists. and thanks to the gentleman that caught my error on my queen 7".

well whatever works for you and makes you happy i guess.

i just dont get it.

i do understand the tv being replaceable thing. but what about stuff like pictures? or letters? you would have to get a pretty big box to store all the one of a kind/irreplaceable things in your house i would imagine. at least you have a chance of getting another one of the 14 copies that were made, etc.

i guess it just depends on the personal value you put on stuff like that, as opposed to monetary value.

more power to you for tracking down the records and making your collection awesome in your opinion!

Man...I don't know. Whats the point of owning them if you never even get to look at them? I guess I can understand it somewhat....but I mean they are pieces of art that are just being left in a box for no one to appreciate.

I mean, its your stuff and I could understand you'd be pretty bummed if they were wrecked but I just don't get it.

Man...I don't know. Whats the point of owning them if you never even get to look at them? I guess I can understand it somewhat....but I mean they are pieces of art that are just being left in a box for no one to appreciate.

I mean, its your stuff and I could understand you'd be pretty bummed if they were wrecked but I just don't get it.

it's cool bro, i see where you're coming from too, i had them for a while before i opted to put them in a box. i just feel more comfortable with them there rather than the place i live right now. it's a nice part of town, but i walked in on being robbed a couple years ago and they had everything in a couple laundry baskets ready to go and i saw some of my really rare vinyl and cds in there, they probably didn't know what they had, but after i saw that, i take no chances. so i hope you can see my angle a little better now, but i do understand what you mean bro.

[image]

Just bought a house and moved in this week. This is the music storage area for now. I will be either building or buying a shelving unit soon.

First and second crate are twelve inches and the third is full of ten inch and 7 inch records. Then my cds which I did not pack alphabetically. doh! That is going to be my afternoon project. :)

• jhulud locked this topic