Post Your Record Storage Area

Cheap, pretty easy, and quite rewarding project:

http://www.nintendorepairshop.com/products/63-Nintendo-NES-72-Pin-Connector-Repair-Part/

Also cleaning your carts with rubbing alcohol does basically nothing. I spent a weekend opening and cleaning all my carts with this kit and it worked extremely well - it got all of the contacts nice and shiny and tarnish free.

http://www.nintendorepairshop.com/products/81--1-Nintendo-Game-Cleaning-Kit/

http://www.nintendorepairshop.com/products/63-Nintendo-NES-72-Pin-Connector-Repair-Part/

Also cleaning your carts with rubbing alcohol does basically nothing. I spent a weekend opening and cleaning all my carts with this kit and it worked extremely well - it got all of the contacts nice and shiny and tarnish free.

I did this once, brought brand new life into my Nintendo

This is what I was talking about. I buy from this site from time to time. Their cleaning kit does wonders. 

• 2 weeks later...

Where's the second speaker? When placing speakers, you should also try to have the tweeter almost level with your ears. Especially with a smaller bookshelf.

I'm glad to see other people do the "remove the middle spine of a shelf and place turntable in there". I did this at one point too. With a light as well!

I know this gets asked a lot but if you get an Ikea Expedit, how many records does one shelf/cubbby hold? Is it 40-50? So four cubbys would be like 200 records?

I have roughly 300 LP's and they fit in about 5 1/4 of the cubbies.

I really hate the word cubby. it weirds me out.

im sure you could fit more, but i leave a bit of breathing room in each one

Where's the second speaker? When placing speakers, you should also try to have the tweeter almost level with your ears. Especially with a smaller bookshelf.

I'm glad to see other people do the "remove the middle spine of a shelf and place turntable in there". I did this at one point too. With a light as well!

It's to the left, I have another 2x4 / desk out of the photo. But yea the speakers are definitely too high.

IMG_3590.jpg

The receiver, CD player and EQ are on top. I have a remote for the receiver, so while I can reach up there to turn it on, I don't have to. I rarely play CDs or touch the EQ, but can reach them from the futon couch.

Top 2 rows are LPs, except the emptyish one, which is stuff waiting to get listened to.

Turntable row - the black box is picture disks, and then there's 10" and magazines that are 12" LPs

Next row down is 12" singles.

Row after that is (l-r): autographed records; the rest of the 12" singles; soundtracks and comedy; and kiddie records for my kid (mostly vintage Sesame Street)

Last row, covered up by the sun and the discard record pile is boxes of 45s.

FWIW, I counted about 75 LPs in the full squares/boxes/cubbies, and that with all the records bagged and a fair number of gatefold sleeves.

^^^^

That looks real smooth, very nice.

Okay, that's what I was hoping for.

Yeah, 60-70 is totally doable, just depends on number of records with bags, double LPs, thicker spines, etc.

Are you having the Blue Bag company deliver it for you? IIRC, having a 2x2 shipped straight from Ikea is cheaper, but anything 2x4 or larger, or if you're getting other ikea stuff, Blue Bag is cheaper.

I have an expedit that I am too lazy to build right now but am totally going to do that when I put it together.

no really, its nothing. just something about the word irks me.

I know what you mean. I don't like it either. It reminds me of tummy, yummy and any other word people use when they "baby talk".

Yeah, 60-70 is totally doable, just depends on number of records with bags, double LPs, thicker spines, etc.

Are you having the Blue Bag company deliver it for you? IIRC, having a 2x2 shipped straight from Ikea is cheaper, but anything 2x4 or larger, or if you're getting other ikea stuff, Blue Bag is cheaper.

Funny enough, we're going to Dallas for Mardi Gras (weekend plus 2 days off! - Mike you know, once you're here for 5-6 years, Mardi Gras gets old), and there's an Ikea in Dallas. So I'll buy it and the next time Andrea's dad comes to town (which will be a month later), he'll just drop it off for me.

Funny enough, we're going to Dallas for Mardi Gras (weekend plus 2 days off! - Mike you know, once you're here for 5-6 years, Mardi Gras gets old), and there's an Ikea in Dallas. So I'll buy it and the next time Andrea's dad comes to town (which will be a month later), he'll just drop it off for me.

Very cool. We had been thinking about DIsney over Mardi Gras, but then I up and moved cross country. It was nice because our anniversary, and my daughter's birthday are both right around Mardi Gras, so it was like built in vacation time for both of those.

• jhulud locked this topic