Post Your Record Storage Area

Absolutely unreal, ohiopride. Although I do find it funny you have a Holy Mountain 7" in the "indie/emo/pop" 7" box.

Also, while you crush my vinyl collection, I'm pretty confident my CD collection is bigger than yours! It's the small victories... :)

it's never about the size of a collection, but more about the love and pride in which you take in it. i, like everyone else on this board, loves music in every form, whether it be vinyl, cd, cassette or even 8-track. we all have the same appreciation and respect for it and i am finally happy that i found a board with people who feel the same way i do. so far, i have nothing but respect for all of you and i am impressed by everyones knowledge of the format (vinyl, not the band). there is no victory when there is no fight. i sound like a goddamn after school special, but hey, screw it. ;)

Ohiopride, vinyljunkie, and anyone else with a monster collection:

just out of curiosity, do you guys have regular vinyl buying habits? what i mean is do you buy mostly used, mostly new, ebay, one at a time, 40 at a time, what? local? mailorder? or just a combination of all of those? how many records in an average month?

just out of curiosity, do you guys have regular vinyl buying habits? what i mean is do you buy mostly used, mostly new, ebay, one at a time, 40 at a time, what? local? mailorder? or just a combination of all of those? how many records in an average month?

yeah...seriously...

also...ohio pride...why is the holy mountain in "indie emo pop"

It's really just about amassing a collection after years and years of buying and trading. I've been buying vinyl for 7 years but up until two years ago I had no more than 20 records. A year ago at this time I had ~150 records but 100+ were HWM records. Now I'm at over 400 and most of the HWM is gone. I've been through some periods where I was buying records all the time and dropping a couple hundred a month on vinyl. Lately I've barely bought anything because I'm so broke. Basically, if I continue buying vinyl as my main music format I will have a very good collection in about a decade's worth of time.

i think a lot of it has to do with age/time in "hardcore" or vinyl collecting or whatever. more than just higher than average vinyl buying habits. i bought my first record over a decade ago.

i also started doing stuff like selling things on ebay to support my personal vinyl habit. i buy a lot of collections from kids (at least one a month), then i can sell the duplicates, or rare stuff on ebay, and make back my money on the collection and be able to keep a few records out of it for me. lather rinse and repeat. its a way for me to amass a pretty huge collection without really having to pay out of pocket for it. and i can get pretty much any and every record i want eventually, and not have to pay ebay prices for anything. its ho ive been able to easily fill my wantlist to where there is really nothing that i want at this point, other than a handful of older ridiculously rare/expensive punk stuff.

also i take a lot of road trips. to/from fests, tour, vacation type things and i always hit up tons of used record stores while i am out in weird places that arent picked over and find some rare stuff.

as far as new stuff, i can get a lot of stuff for my personal stuff from the distro. its one of the perks is i end up being able to basically have a store in my house i can get any new releases for myself (although there has been a pretty long dry spell of anything thats inspired me lately).

also, ive never really used my collection to get out of a jam...lots of kids would have bigger collections, but everytime they need money they raid the collection and sell it off and start over again, etc. ive also never really hopped trends and a lot of kids buy up everything screamo, and then sell it when doom got cool, and buy tons of doom records, and then sold all those to buy drunk florida punk, etc.

not trying to be insulting, but most kids would have collections 2 or 3 times bigger if they kept everything they ever bought.

but remember its quality over quantity. you dont have to have 20,000 records to have a sweet collection, as long as you love what you got.

that's the second time somebody has pointed that out. it's funny. when i get home, i will put it in the correct box. i apologize. late nights equal blurry vision and putting things up until the next day and forgetting about them. i will fix it and then put a new pic to show. thanks guys.

yeah...seriously...

also, ive never really used my collection to get out of a jam...lots of kids would have bigger collections, but everytime they need money they raid the collection and sell it off and start over again, etc. ive also never really hopped trends and a lot of kids buy up everything screamo, and then sell it when doom got cool, and buy tons of doom records, and then sold all those to buy drunk florida punk, etc.

not trying to be insulting, but most kids would have collections 2 or 3 times bigger if they kept everything they ever bought.

but remember its quality over quantity. you dont have to have 20,000 records to have a sweet collection, as long as you love what you got.

My theory on why people are so quick to sell of their collection in the first place is partially because they're buying into trends or fads and a year or two later they don't like it. However, even more so than that I think there are some people who buy anything they have any remote interest in simply to pad their collection. Then, when they have some bills to pay they dump those records. I've went through some crazy record buying binges, but for the most part I don't want to part with any of it because I never buy stuff just to have it.

Another reason people sell is simply because they know the going rate for certain records. If you have some crazy bill that must get paid and you dont have any other valuables to your name but records, than its just logic. if you sell 3, 5 or 10 records to cover that bill its easier to do that than try to sell your TV, couch and tables. It sucks none the less but sometimes you have no where else to turn.

It is one of the biggest regrets i had thru college. Selling a good chunk of my LTJ collection to make ends meet during college was my only option and it sucked but i knew that LTJ records were going for big bucks. but that was the one and only time i ever did that

basically have been collecting for a little while. i love used and new vinyl. i got some good friends that work at/or own distros, buy on ebay and i sell on ebay, go to local record stores and when i go on tour i also hit up "MOM & POP" type stores, we'll play with some bands and we vinyl swap, if it is available. travel out of town on fridays (once or twice a month) and drive up to columbus, ohio, down to ear-x-tacy in louisville, kentucky, sometimes drive up to the relapse store in philadelphia, pennsylvania (it's a rare trip, but it's fuckin' worth it when you get there. a metal vinyl paradise) use to drive up to cleveland, ohio to chris' warped records, but from what i hear it is no longer a store. sucks, great fuckin place. i never sell records from my personal collection!!! i mean, i spent a lot of time looking for a record just to turn around and sell to make a quick buck. NOPE! NO FUCKIN' WAY! i don't follow trends, i never have and i won't start now.

i love music and a lot of genres, so i guess liking a variety will help you gain a larger collection. that's pretty much it. i don't do drugs or drink, i'm not SXE, but if you don't do drugs or drink you have a lot more money to buy records with. i also make a pretty good living, so that helps. the less you have to pay for the better. i have a car payment, rent, insurance, i have crohn's disease so i buy my medication and etc. so i manage my money and break it down to what i can spend a month sometimes it's awesome and i can splurge and sometimes it can be tough. i'll sometimes pick a band that i love, as you can see from some of the collections i've posted, and only buy that band's records for a while. that's tough because while you're looking for one band's vinyl another band you love will either have something new coming out or somebody will put a rare record up on ebay. so you gotta draw the line somewhere. a typical month for me would be within the ballpark of maybe 50-60 records (that includes all vinyl sizes, not just lps or 7"s). there is a place in columbus, ohio, so if you live around there and don't know about this place, here is your heads up. the store is called Used Kid's records. i can go there and get about 60-70 pieces of wax for a little under $200.00. i don't want to offend anybody, but the kind of employees there think they know everything about music, what is good and cool and what's "INDIE" and "ON THE VERGE" of being huge so they put a record in your face and it ends up being some garage band that sounds like hell puked in jesus' toilet. so i ask where the hardcore or metal type music is and they point me to the promise land "THE $1.00 BIN". so think about it? I went in one day and wiped them out. 200 7"s for $150.00!!! they gave me a discount for helping weed out and they told me this to my face, "ALL THE GARBAGE MUSIC". so i said i love terrible music, i've never had good taste. in that purchase there was *botch/faction tour 7"/red vinyl, worth about $70.00, botch/murder city devils 2X7" on white/worth about $45.00, absolution/s/t/on red worth $50.00 original press from 89'. i apologize for running on. to sum it up. BUY WHAT YOU LIKE! RAID THE USED BINS AT YOUR RECORD STORES! VENTURE TO NEW CITIES AND FIND STORES THERE! DON'T SELL YOUR COLLECTION AND MOST IMPORTANTLY TO ME, DON'T FOLLOW TRENDS. COLLECT WHAT YOU LOVE AND IF PEOPLE DON'T LIKE IT, TELL THEM TO "GET FUCKED"!! IF YOU LIKE ABBA, BUY ABBA. *I PERSONALLY, LOVE ABBA SO IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT, COOL AND "GET FUCKED". this was fun. and my name is joe, if anybody wanted to know.

ohiopride, you are the bomb.com.

Also, Chris' Warped Records closed back in '05; it was a dark, dark day. My Mind's Eye recently expanded, though, and has a pretty great vinyl selection -- http://www.mymindseyerecords.com -- it's located a few blocks down from where Chris' Warped was.

BUY WHAT YOU LIKE! RAID THE USED BINS AT YOUR RECORD STORES! VENTURE TO NEW CITIES AND FIND STORES THERE! DON'T SELL YOUR COLLECTION AND MOST IMPORTANTLY TO ME, DON'T FOLLOW TRENDS. COLLECT WHAT YOU LOVE AND IF PEOPLE DON'T LIKE IT, TELL THEM TO "GET FUCKED"!! IF YOU LIKE ABBA, BUY ABBA. *I PERSONALLY, LOVE ABBA SO IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT, COOL AND "GET FUCKED". this was fun. and my name is joe, if anybody wanted to know.

you and titus summed this up best.

heres mine.

[image]

hey joe, i'm james. you have a killer collection. just thought you should know.

ohiopride, you are the bomb.com.

Also, Chris' Warped Records closed back in '05; it was a dark, dark day. My Mind's Eye recently expanded, though, and has a pretty great vinyl selection -- http://www.mymindseyerecords.com -- it's located a few blocks down from where Chris' Warped was.

thank you james and scottheisel. i don't know if i am the bomb, but i thank you for the compliment. thanks for the heads up on the newer store. when i am up in that region i will check it out.

BUY WHAT YOU LIKE! RAID THE USED BINS AT YOUR RECORD STORES! VENTURE TO NEW CITIES AND FIND STORES THERE! DON'T SELL YOUR COLLECTION AND MOST IMPORTANTLY TO ME, DON'T FOLLOW TRENDS. COLLECT WHAT YOU LOVE AND IF PEOPLE DON'T LIKE IT, TELL THEM TO "GET FUCKED"!! IF YOU LIKE ABBA, BUY ABBA. *I PERSONALLY, LOVE ABBA SO IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT, COOL AND "GET FUCKED". this was fun. and my name is joe, if anybody wanted to know.

you and titus summed this up best.

heres mine.

[image]

that's awesome and very tidy.i really wanted shelves similar to that, but i sided with the wire cage. i have had them for a few years and they seem to hold up well. the trick to prevent them from falling over is the take a insane amount of zip ties and link them to each other. a hell of a lot of zip ties and anchor them to the wall.

The store I frequent here has lots of stuff I don't know I like in the used bin, and the 7"s, are mixed, and it's all overpriced if you ask me. I need a better job, having a collection at least the size of any of the huge ones is something I have wet dreams about.

I HARDLY ever sell or trade, because I don't want my collection to shrink. I'll sell my blood, my body, and steal to make ends meet before I sell my records.

I'd take floor to ceiling records in several different rooms over a wife any fucking day. Pussy gets re-pressed every second, Downward is Heavenward is not.

I condone being a materialistic asshole with an absurdly large and overly organized collection.

I shouldn't be allowed online this late.

i was going to mention this earlier, but i forgot. people shouldn't buy vinyl because they think it makes them cool or unique, you should buy vinyl because you want to. you know, find out what the appeal is and what makes people go ape shit for certain pieces. i get somewhat of a thrill from the hunt for records. some people hunt animals, i hunt records. wow! i'm a nerd. you can have a wall of records and records stacked to the ceiling and records in boxes, but if you don't know what's on that wall, in those boxes and what made you buy them, well, you should collect. it's meaningless. it's like you buy records for status. and that is definitely not cool. just do it because you enjoy it, not to impress somebody. does anybody else feel this way, or is it just me?

yeah...seriously...

i did this specially for you and scottheisel

[image]

The store I frequent here has lots of stuff I don't know I like in the used bin, and the 7"s, are mixed, and it's all overpriced if you ask me. I need a better job, having a collection at least the size of any of the huge ones is something I have wet dreams about.

I HARDLY ever sell or trade, because I don't want my collection to shrink. I'll sell my blood, my body, and steal to make ends meet before I sell my records.

I'd take floor to ceiling records in several different rooms over a wife any fucking day. Pussy gets re-pressed every second, Downward is Heavenward is not.

I condone being a materialistic asshole with an absurdly large and overly organized collection.

I shouldn't be allowed online this late.

i'm glad you are online this late, good conversation. yeah wives i'm sure are a handful, but i wouldn't know, i just "date", well, by date i mean sex. i feel the same way about my records bro. . i just have the one room and that's it. i actually had a wet dream about records once, it was me and mandy moore screwing on top of my snapcase records, 2% weird and 98% fuckin' awesome. do i come off as a materialistic asshole with an absurdly large and overly organized collection? i can see why you said that. it's cool. it happens

• jhulud locked this topic