Post Your Record Storage Area

The 2x4 Expedit is actually meant to be used upright, laying it on its side makes it weaker.

I have a 5x5 completely filled. I did not reinforce it at all, just anchored it to the wall. If you bolt these bastards to the wall, and use them correctly, they aren't going anywhere. 

If you look at any of the "OMG EXPEDIT FAIL" pictures on the web, you'll notice that they're all set up the wrong way. Here's a pretty good example:

30e96809_8515131825_2ab9cab1e9.jpg

The shelves are made up of long pieces that extend the full length of the Expedit and short pieces that are only the size of one cube. Notice how the long pieces are(/were) mounted vertically and the short pieces horizontally? That's the problem. If you look at any of these images, you'll see the same thing.

Those collapsed expedit pictures made me have one of those sympathetic sucking in of air moments.

I bought 1"x 2"x whatever plywood and added support to the back of all mine. Also, it keeps everything nice and tidy, and can't push through the back.

I thought about doing something like that but it's going to be quite a job now to empty all mine to put the board on the back, I did think about the board that has a white vinyl coating so that it reflects a bit of light.

The only downside of that is that I will make any gaps on my shelves more obvious driving me to want to fill them in even more.

• jhulud locked this topic