Post Your Record Storage Area

This isn't my storage area but I recently had a friend build me a shelf/box type thing to hold my 7" records. I drew up the design idea which was cool to see him bring it to life. Really looks slick in person, beautiful wood and craftsmanship. Photos below:

1zm1cms.jpg

qxp2bo.jpg

2ajvqev.jpg

This isn't my storage area but I recently had a friend build me a shelf/box type thing to hold my 7" records. I drew up the design idea which was cool to see him bring it to life. Really looks slick in person, beautiful wood and craftsmanship. Photos below:

1zm1cms.jpg

qxp2bo.jpg

2ajvqev.jpg

Looks great man! I use the old Pepsi or coke crates. They hold two rows of 7 inches and look rad.

I don't think I'll ever understand how people spend so much money on vinyl but won't spend any money on a turntable.

Don't understand this mentality....I feel like for a decent chunk of people this is their version of CDs....I never had a really nice CD player or speakers in my vehicle and jammed them via a boombox.....but I had hundreds and hundreds of CDs at one point in time. Before anybody jumps my shit, I love my Marantz receiver and wouldn't mind upgrading my Marantz Turntable and vintage Polk-Audio speakers.......but I'm never going to give anybody shit for spinning their records on an Ion USB TT or owning a Crosley

Don't understand this mentality....I feel like for a decent chunk of people this is their version of CDs....I never had a really nice CD player or speakers in my vehicle and jammed them via a boombox.....but I had hundreds and hundreds of CDs at one point in time. Before anybody jumps my shit, I love my Marantz receiver and wouldn't mind upgrading my Marantz Turntable and vintage Polk-Audio speakers.......but I'm never going to give anybody shit for spinning their records on an Ion USB TT or owning a Crosley

I think that if crappy CD players wore out CDs with every play to the point where their sound would get distorted then people would probably invest in a better CD player.

You don't understand why someone who listens to vinyl should want to get everything out of it that they can? 

I think that if crappy CD players wore out CDs with every play to the point where their sound would get distorted then people would probably invest in a better CD player.

Show me statistics on how quickly a crosley wears out the groove on a record versus a properly set up TT that costs a grand....technically every time you spin your records this happens, I'd be willing to bet a great deal of people who have spent over $500 USD on a TT mishandle their records or don't clean them properly or regularly as well....

Again, I'm quite happy with my setup, but I'm certain it could be nicer and I'm certain I need a new stylus on my TT as well....probably not QUITE as bad as a crosley stylus, but it's still not great for my records.

Also, how many plays are you looking to get out of your records??? There are records you can find a thrift store that have been spun hundreds of times on poorly set up turntables for decades that still play fine after a decent cleaning...

Some people would rather have 500 records to choose from and a cheap Crosley or Ion USB TT for playback....some people would ether have 10 records and a really nice playback system. Quit acting like snobby fucks because their playback set up didn't cost $5,000.....I guarantee if they played their copy of Reinventing Axl Rose 50 times on their Crosley and swapped it with your copy that's been played 50 times on your $500 TT without you knowing you wouldn't flinch for a second when that needle dropped

I don't think I'll ever understand how people spend so much money on vinyl but won't spend any money on a turntable.

I agree with your basic premise, but you are presuming based on a photo that someone has spent thousands on records. Those records could have been old hand me downs, dollar bin finds, gifts, etc.

But it is a rather sad problem that so many people are listening to their records on audio technica or Ion tables that don't have a counterweight or allow you to upgrade the stylus. If you have one of these tables, you certainly do not know what you are missing and if you're really interested in getting the full experience from your records, you'll need about $$600~$1,000, which is just 33 $30 records.

$300~$400 for beginner audiophile grade table such as Pro-Ject Carbon

$75 for SpinClean (or just by the solution and go DIY)

the rest for amp and speakers.

I started with a AT-PL300. Everything changed when I got a Pro-ject Debut III.

But it is all relative. I was actually about to pull the trigger on a MusicHall 7.1 or Pro-Ject Xperience when I decided to get a few colored Earth ADs instead. I don't regret the decision.

This. Plus there's a huge difference in sound between a bad table and a good one. And if you're not listening to vinyl for the sound quality, just listen to mp3s or cds.

You don't understand why someone who listens to vinyl should want to get everything out of it that they can?

I'm certain there's at least one person on this board that throws away/doesn't eat the crust on their pizza....go bitch at them for not getting the most out of their pizza.

If you want to have a dick-measuring contest/pissing contest over set-ups go hang out at ataudiogon and let them laugh you out of their boards

I'm certain there's at least one person on this board that throws away/doesn't eat the crust on their pizza....go bitch at them for not getting the most out of their pizza.

If you want to have a dick-measuring contest/pissing contest over set-ups go hang out at ataudiogon and let them laugh you out of their boards

So now you've compared vinyl to both CD's and pizza. I made a general comment to no one in particular. If listening to records on a Fisher Price turntable makes you happy, good for you.

I've also never mentioned what turntable I have or tried comparing mine to anyone else's, you're really taking this way too personally. Since it seems you think my original comment was directed to you, I apologize.

The entire point of collecting vinyl is to externalize and make tangible your struggle to control a cruel and uncaring world. You can't change people and you can't avoid loss but you can collect every variant of a 2003 pop punk record and upgrade your cartridge on credit. Individuals who play their LPs on a Crosley are co-signing and actively encouraging the meaninglessness existence, happily allowing the grooves of their lives to be worn down and to one day be passively led into the dark night forever. I will not go peacefully into the night...I will assemble the best system and acquire the best inner sleeves...and I will aim my sights on anyone lacking the backbone to stare into the void & yell "I WILL ONE DAY SAVE UP FOR A VACUUM POWERED WET CLEANER!"

The entire point of collecting vinyl is to externalize and make tangible your struggle to control a cruel and uncaring world. You can't change people and you can't avoid loss but you can collect every variant of a 2003 pop punk record and upgrade your cartridge on credit. Individuals who play their LPs on a Crosley are co-signing and actively encouraging the meaninglessness existence, happily allowing the grooves of their lives to be worn down and to one day be passively led into the dark night forever. I will not go peacefully into the night...I will assemble the best system and acquire the best inner sleeves...and I will aim my sights on anyone lacking the backbone to stare into the void & yell "I WILL ONE DAY SAVE UP FOR A VACUUM POWERED WET CLEANER!"

Post of the Year

So now you've compared vinyl to both CD's and pizza. I made a general comment to no one in particular. If listening to records on a Fisher Price turntable makes you happy, good for you.

I've also never mentioned what turntable I have or tried comparing mine to anyone else's, you're really taking this way too personally. Since it seems you think my original comment was directed to you, I apologize.

I'm not actually pissed at you, just seems like everytime I roll through this topic somebody is pissing on somebody's set-up.....and my frustration got vented towards your comment....additionally comments about "destroying your records" with a crosley, while somewhat true, are absolutely ridiculous....for the vast majority of people visiting this board, this is a fad for them, whether they choose to believe/admit that or not and for those people, a Crosley is all they need

I'm not actually pissed at you, just seems like everytime I roll through this topic somebody is pissing on somebody's set-up.....and my frustration got vented towards your comment....additionally comments about "destroying your records" with a crosley, while somewhat true, are absolutely ridiculous....for the vast majority of people visiting this board, this is a fad for them, whether they choose to believe/admit that or not and for those people, a Crosley is all they need

Honestly, 99% of the time I come in this thread, there are a lot of good vibes. People telling people how cool their setups are. It's really rare for people to argue, but will always happen when people become defensive in here. Most know the animosity for Crosleys/crappy TTs and decide to post them anyway. In those cases, they kind of ask for it.

• jhulud locked this topic