Post Your Record Storage Area

I generally fit anywhere from 45-60 records per cube. I have a 4x2 Expedit and it's holding 450+ records right now, all of which have Sleeve City's 2.5mm mylar sleeves on them.

I approve this message. (Mine hold that many per cube as well and they're not crazy tight.)

I generally fit anywhere from 45-60 records per cube. I have a 4x2 Expedit and it's holding 450+ records right now, all of which have Sleeve City's 2.5mm mylar sleeves on them.

Single LP or Gatefolds?

(I didn't realize how many gatefolds I owned until just now)

10959468_10101219239706046_3804663709149

I finally feel confident that I won't have to move everything within a month or two to show it off. All my LPs and 12"s are in both the expedit and the record case with the glass door. Small record stand is housing my Against Me!, Fake Problems, Jimmy Eat World, Manic Street Preachers, Taking Back Sunday, and Thursday 12" records.

This is also right after rearranging everything so that my girlfriend and her husband's records are in with mine. Apparently she and I are serious: We did the whole record merger thing. :D

I play my stuff on an old direct drive Technics SL-D3 turntable that i somehow lost the dust cover for. It's okay, I have the glass lid on the record stand. It's run through a Behringer PP400 Ultra-Compact Phono Preamp, and into a Samsung home Theater Soundbar that works only as a speaker, and not as anything that plays discs like it's supposed to, so it works out for me. This has a wireless subwoofer, and oh, is it niiiiiice.

But yeah, I've been wanting to post this for a long time, but hey, now I'm here!

And yes. That's a lot of gaming books on the bottom there. Not mine, though I'm a little envious.

She took some choice Gaslight /100 variants and my picture disc LP of The Holy Bible by Manic Street Preachers as a deal like "i take these and I don't bring up anything in court, where they'll split the collection down the middle, and you'll get a whole lot less.". I gave her some other shit, and left it at that.

Thing I miss most is that Manics record. but anyway, that's done.

She took some choice Gaslight /100 variants and my picture disc LP of The Holy Bible by Manic Street Preachers as a deal like "i take these and I don't bring up anything in court, where they'll split the collection down the middle, and you'll get a whole lot less.". I gave her some other shit, and left it at that.

Context. It's important. Glad you and your records turned out okay.

Whoa

Finally gonna do this... I started collecting in June and was aided by the 80ish record haul I brought back from my Dad's collection while I was in Denver. 

cXkSmAE.jpg

Will have to replace this ^ sooner than later as the weight of the case shown below warped it.

sHFYtGE.jpg

^ Built this with my dad.  A friend is going to paint it up eventually.  Maybe I'll re-post after that's happened. 

BXLujnS.jpg

4j8H2Pn.jpg

pWqsVP4.jpg

14TXMDv.jpg

HbHxlbC.jpg

Kejl25h.jpg

I currently have them sorted by genre/era but maybe I'll switch it up again. Anyway: Classic Rock/Folk/Pop

y1irXpQ.jpg

Classic Rock/Folk/Pop (continuation); Metal; Reggae; 70s/80s Alt. Rock/New Wave/Punk/Post-Punk/Grunge, Modern Alt. Rock/Indie; Electronic/Contemp. R&B/Pop; Hip Hop

Yb9mIc1.jpg

Hip Hop (continuation); Jazz; Soul/Funk/Disco/R&B (don't judge me, those Streisand LPs are my dad's ...)

1gLGEPV.jpg

And I showcase albums I'm into at a particular moment here.

QnOwguI.jpg

Finally gonna do this... I started collecting in June and was aided by the 80ish record haul I brought back from my Dad's collection while I was in Denver. 

cXkSmAE.jpg

Will have to replace this ^ sooner than later as the weight of the case shown below warped it.

That Beatles box...it's been awhile since I've seen one, but I think it's a German release?  If my memory serves me right, I think it has some versions of songs not found elsewhere.  Do you know anything about it?   It looks like you're off to nice start!

That Beatles box...it's been awhile since I've seen one, but I think it's a German release?  If my memory serves me right, I think it has some versions of songs not found elsewhere.  Do you know anything about it?   It looks like you're off to nice start!

It's from 1980.   I think the releases are of UK and Japanese origin (maybe a few other countries).   My dad's [mine] is definitely the Japanese version.  It is basically an 8 record greatest hits, done chronologically, with some B-Sides and rarities thrown in.   Sound quality is solid and the sleeve photography is awesome.  

It goes for a very fair price on discogs....

http://www.discogs.com/Beatles-From-Liverpool-The-Beatles-Box/release/2241778

Oh man. You're a gal too. Thread got real.

Yeah.... I am... It wasn't real before?

There is actually a new Amazon comedy/drama series called Transparent Red 1/700 that centers on polyamorous record collectors.

A thousand likes upon your house!

Context. It's important. Glad you and your records turned out okay.

Of course I meant "of the records, I miss the Manics release the most." It sucks not seeing my daughter as much, but I still see her every weekday. Nothings finalized yet, nor has anything been started. It's... blech.

Alright.  Couple of questions guys...

A couple of posts back, I put up a photo of my homemade mini-shelf as well as the warped table/shelf that my turntable is on.

I'm thinking of getting a the 2x4 Kallax and placing it horizontally the way many of you have.  Unfortunately, it is about 3 inches too long to fit in the spot that the black table/shelf is currently at, but as I know I willing be moving apartments in 6 months, I feel it a waste of money to buy a temporary solution.   Thus, I'm thinking of putting the Kallax in the far corner of our apartment where it could provide storage until I move to a more conventional living room...  

The question is, is a Kallax strong enough (horizontally) to hold that handmade shelf when it's (the "handmade" near capacity.   The shelf/table I currently have warped because of the "handmade's" weight (it holds about 120 records and made of plywood).   Ideally, my friend is going to paint it using Lonesome Crowded West lyrics as inspiration and so it will be an art piece as much as a storage utility.  Thus I don't want it on the ground.   

For now, the Kallax would be a bit empty (and I could even put some of the records from the handmade piece onto it to lessen weight) and would only have the "handmade" and my roommates fantasy football trophy on it.    In future it

would be full of records and have my turntable and the (near full) handmade on it.  

My other question is whether anybody has a recommendation as it pertains to DVD storage via Ikia.   Do they have a shelf that is ideal for DVD storage the way the Kallax is for records?  I have about 300 Dvd's that I need to do something with.

Hope that all makes sense.  I may or may not be a bit stoned right now.

Alright. Couple of questions guys...

A couple of posts back, I put up a photo of my homemade mini-shelf as well as the warped table/shelf that my turntable is on.

I'm thinking of getting a the 2x4 Kallax and placing it horizontally the way many of you have. Unfortunately, it is about 3 inches too long to fit in the spot that the black table/shelf is currently at, but as I know I willing be moving apartments in 6 months, I feel it a waste of money to buy a temporary solution. Thus, I'm thinking of putting the Kallax in the far corner of our apartment where it could provide storage until I move to a more conventional living room...

The question is, is a Kallax strong enough (horizontally) to hold that handmade shelf when it's (the "handmade" near capacity. The shelf/table I currently have warped because of the "handmade's" weight (it holds about 120 records and made of plywood). Ideally, my friend is going to paint it using Lonesome Crowded West lyrics as inspiration and so it will be an art piece as much as a storage utility. Thus I don't want it on the ground.

For now, the Kallax would be a bit empty (and I could even put some of the records from the handmade piece onto it to lessen weight) and would only have the "handmade" and my roommates fantasy football trophy on it. In future it would be full of records and have my turntable and the (near full) handmade on it.

Hope that all makes sense. I may or may not be a bit stoned right now.

A kallax is somewhat sturdy, keep in mind it is made of mostly partial board and hollow materials. I don't know if it would hold up well to that much weight on top of it or not.

Were I you, I'd be looking for something made of solid wood, or a good thickness and with supports, two of which would be under the handmade storage.

A kallax is somewhat sturdy, keep in mind it is made of mostly partial board and hollow materials. I don't know if it would hold up well to that much weight on top of it or not.

Were I you, I'd be looking for something made of solid wood, or a good thickness and with supports, two of which would be under the handmade storage.

Yeah, I mean, the weight has me a bit worried, but then I see all these photos of speakers (or other kallax) and the such...   The main problem is finding a reasonably priced furniture that is capable of both housing a large quantity of records and serving as a table top.

Ikea sells a Benno storage tower - it is the perfect depth for DVD/Blu-ray and is tall and skinny.  I can't remember how many I am able to cram in but I'll try to check it out tonight and take a picture when I am home.  I know they have the ability to connect to others as well as other style cabinets sold by Ikea too.  The only drawback is that some of the shelves are at a fixed height, so you can't perfectly optimize every single shelf to hold DVDs/blus.  The way I have each of mine setup leaves 2 smaller shelves (one near the middle and one at the top) which just so happen to be the perfect height to sneak in a couple of Funko pop figures for decoration.  However, I will note, that the way I have mine set up makes some of the shelves hard to get your fingers in to remove the discs....with this in mind, I don't usually pack the BDs too tightly so as to avoid this removal issue.

A few years ago Ikea had a larger option shelf that was the proper depth for DVD/Blu but they've since discontinued it....the name is escaping me right now, however it too had the drawback of certain shelves being a fixed height.

Update: This thread motivated me to pick up a much-needed Kallax, so I figured I'd check out what the going price was for me to add another Benno DVD tower.  Sure enough, it looks like Ikea discontinued it.  WTF.

• jhulud locked this topic