Post Your Record Storage Area

They hold 29.lbs per shelf so as long as that's considered they should be fine. It is funny to me though that a $70 shelf is all people want to spend to store a several thousand dollar record collection. *shrug*

I have never seen a Kallax in person, but the Expedit shelves always seemed flimsy to me--particularly the larger units.  though, I am interested in the newer all pine shelf they have.

I do have a similar style 2x4 shelf that I got from Costco and a smaller 2x2 that are glued together and rock solid.

Bottom line, you COULD spend more but if you like the look of it and it gets the job done, why spend more?

The only issue you get with Kallax/Expedit is when people put the bigger ones together the wrong way (yes there is a right and a wrong way). I think further back in this thread there are some pictures of collapsed Expedits that make you wince.

Me I have a lot of big Expedits that are holding an enormous amount of records and I've never had a loading issue with them. On two walls I have them almost floor to ceiling with 1x5's on thier sides on top of a 5x5's in each place and 10" alloy spool reel to reel tapes stored on top of those.

The new pine shelves, Nornas, as pretty damn sturdy.

Also to whomever doesn't understand why people wouldn't want to spend more than $70 on shelving for a a few grand worth of LPs....most people probably didn't drop a few grand on LPs at one time. I, for one, have a couple of low-paying jobs so a one time purchase of $100+ is next to impossible. I don't have a savings account (don't have enough money leftover from paychecks to open one or keep money in it), nor do I have credit cards or credit.....I don't have the tools, time, or space to build from scratch either

So last year's Tax Return went towards some Nornas and the first real bed (not just a metal bed frame) I've had since I was about 7

The new pine shelves, Nornas, as pretty damn sturdy.

Also to whomever doesn't understand why people wouldn't want to spend more than $70 on shelving for a a few grand worth of LPs....most people probably didn't drop a few grand on LPs at one time. I, for one, have a couple of low-paying jobs so a one time purchase of $100+ is next to impossible. I don't have a savings account (don't have enough money leftover from paychecks to open one or keep money in it), nor do I have credit cards or credit.....I don't have the tools, time, or space to build from scratch either

So last year's Tax Return went towards some Nornas and the first real bed (not just a metal bed frame) I've had since I was about 7

haha to whomever...my name is right there! To each his own, I get it. It's a matter of preference but I'm very much anti Ikea so I'm a little bias I suppose. If its not particle board that's already leaps better than most of their stuff.

Thanks! Just used some lights from Ikea: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50192365/

Takes minutes to set up. Wish I had a device to make it change with the beat though...

Thanks for that, is there a tutorial on how to do it like you have it?  And yeah I want something that can change with the beat which leads me too..

I may have mentioned before but oznium.com also has lots of cool led options if you have basic wiring skills. Controllers, million color wheels, and so on

But hmmm idk if i do have basic wiring skills lol

Thanks for that, is there a tutorial on how to do it like you have it?

They come with little strips of double sided tape and little metal clips. I just screwed in a clip on the top left and right back corners and then on the back left and right of the wooden bar on the bottom. Clip the LED light bars into each one and you're done!

Step 1:

ubkcDln.jpg

Step 2:

nYvKUmZ.jpg

Is that an AC unit on the wall? Just keep an eye out for condensation dripping down. My brother had a similar style AC unit in his apartment and it would always drip in the summer when it got used a lot. Otherwise the set up looks pretty sweet dude.

Yeh good point.....its just been installed....brand new one....the drainage is plumbed to the other side of the wall so i think its all sorted......the shelves are off the wall about 2 inches....

Thanks for the tip though....will watch it

Is that an AC unit on the wall? Just keep an eye out for condensation dripping down. My brother had a similar style AC unit in his apartment and it would always drip in the summer when it got used a lot. Otherwise the set up looks pretty sweet dude.

nice floors

I agree with both of the above statements. 100%

• jhulud locked this topic