Post Your Record Storage Area

finally got around to building two of these. one is from the audio karma specs other I just went with longer boards to get 3 spaces out of it. Had a local carpenter build drawers and paint. All cost less then around 200 bucks for everything from material to carpenter fee.

Those look fantastic, and from what I can see in the bins, you have pretty good taste.

Out of curiosity, how do you like those gatefold sleeves?

Those look fantastic, and from what I can see in the bins, you have pretty good taste.

Out of curiosity, how do you like those gatefold sleeves?

would not recommend those sleeves. they are about a 1/4 inch too short for just about all records I used them on.

I bought some gatefold sleeves in Mexico city which were 3mil and perfect size. They were not sold for that purpose and I threw away the damn label with info on them. So I settled for these .

would not recommend those sleeves. they are about a 1/4 inch too short for just about all records I used them on.

I bought some gatefold sleeves in Mexico city which were 3mil and perfect size. They were not sold for that purpose and I threw away the damn label with info on them. So I settled for these .

Glad I asked. Thanks for the feedback.

If you have 1000+ records, its helpful. Its just nice to be able to jump to the section immediately. But yeah, it only saves you 5 seconds of thinking. 

Also, $25 for 25 is pretty much all you need. 50 is a lot. Do you really need a stand alone for Q, X or Z? Save 2 of those for Compilations or V/A or Soundtracks or something.

If you have 1000+ records, its helpful. Its just nice to be able to jump to the section immediately. But yeah, it only saves you 5 seconds of thinking. 

Also, $25 for 25 is pretty much all you need. 50 is a lot. Do you really need a stand alone for Q, X or Z? Save 2 of those for Compilations or V/A or Soundtracks or something.

I plan on combining a few letters, but I want to have a tab for bands that I have a "collection" (3 or more different releases) of as well. I Should have 6-10 extras that I'm sure I'll use for something in the future. Ive got ~1200 lps, I think it will look nice having a few bands labeled. 

I don't use dividers. Part of the fun is in the searching.

Agreed.  5,000+ records with no dividers is the best dig ever.  Once you memorize where everything falls alphabetically it's cake.  I considered doing genres about a year ago but realized how much work it would be and gave up the idea.  I also have a separate area for box sets.

I get it why some people prefer not using dividers. On the other hand I'm one of those who really enjoy using them! LOL

Unfortunately seems like I never was able to find a decent price solution for proper dividers (living in Canada, shipping and exchange rate is a pain)...so I make my own.

I buy 48"x48" (1/8" thick) backer panel boards and cut them. 

I then make my own label / sticker (one label on each side of the divider). See pic below.

I combine a few letters per label and create band specific labels for bands that I collect, etc. 

I have labels for different subcategories (Punk, Ska, Oi!/Street, Horror Punk, etc.)

Here's an example. I have more in a different storage shelf that I have, etc.

IMG_20160312_140658_zpscpytacuo.jpg

I get it why some people prefer not using dividers. On the other hand I'm one of those who really enjoy using them! LOL

Unfortunately seems like I never was able to find a decent price solution for proper dividers (living in Canada, shipping and exchange rate is a pain)...so I make my own.

I then make my own label / sticker (one label on each side of the divider). See pic below.

I combine a few letters per label and create band specific labels for bands that I collect, etc. 

I have labels for different subcategories (Punk, Ska, Oi!/Street, Horror Punk, etc.)

That looks great!

IMG_20160312_140658_zpscpytacuo.jpg

Don't use dividers myself, but I like that a lot. Well done.

I agree, well done.

I always liked the ones where the record sticks out a few inches and the Letter or band name is written on the vinyl.

I think they glue the old record to the inside of the jacket, with the record sticking out a few inches, thus creating the "label" to write on. Can't find a pic right now.

• jhulud locked this topic