Post Your Record Storage Area

12 hours ago, Eliminator Jr. said:

Spent the last couple days remodeling my office / record listening / storage area. Still a couple smaller things to do, like waiting for my 7" wooden boxes, new speakers and a couple more frames to arrive, but this is pretty much it.

IMG_2430_zpstrdlemyk.jpg

vis à vis:

IMG_2414_zpsfynujm7q.jpg

Love your setup! Is your record player shelf custom made? I'm looking for something just like it.

@tvham It's custom made! Got a cheap white shelf at the hardware store, cut into the right dimensions, and a couple furniture feet from ikea. Cost less than $10!

@JRHews Ugh, don't even get me started.. I'm living in a pre-war house and the floors are slanted beyond belief. I spent hours to level everything, but still mounted it all to the walls, to be sure. Also put loads of cardboard below the 4x4 to make sure it's not going anywhere..

13 hours ago, Eliminator Jr. said:

Spent the last couple days remodeling my office / record listening / storage area. Still a couple smaller things to do, like waiting for my 7" wooden boxes, new speakers and a couple more frames to arrive, but this is pretty much it.

IMG_2430_zpstrdlemyk.jpg

vis à vis:

IMG_2414_zpsfynujm7q.jpg

That looks stunning. Great work

5 minutes ago, sethdavid said:

What's with all the duplicates?

Really curious, too, not that it's any of my business.  Collecting variants is one thing, but that shelf reminds me of the clearance section at a record store where they have 20 copies of the albums nobody wants.  Would love to see their Deadformat or Discogs.

That bullshit Glassjaw release, in triplicate, is a nice addition at the top as well.  And not one but two of those janky Devil & God masks?  I think I found my new favorite member.  Jesus hoarding Christ.

And just to get this out of the way – before anyone tries to jump on my nuts about "hey, he or she are free to do whatever they damn well please with their money, back off", I'd like to point out that I also have the freedom to exercise my curiosity.  Maybe two folks met over a passion for collecting variants of the same records, moved in together, had a kid, and combined their collections on a shelf.  Or it could be that the dude is planning on opening up a record shop of his own.  Perhaps this is lazylabrador's discrete attempt to rejoin VC.  Or maybe the dude just gets off on buying as many copies as he can of certain records and lining them up on display.  Whatever the case is, and however "debatable" the use of his income may be, I still think it's not unfair to inquire.

8 hours ago, sethdavid said:

What's with all the duplicates?

We collect variants of the artists/bands that are near and dear to us (Dear Hunter, Glassjaw, Movielife, I Am The Avalanche, This Is Hell, Vinnie Caruana). Sure, to most, that may sound stupid or crazy.  However, when you no longer can regularly attend shows because you have a child and the nearest relative is 2 hours away, you tend to show support in other ways - in our case it's collecting all the damn variants (and tests) in existence.

13 minutes ago, freezeflash said:

We collect variants of the artists/bands that are near and dear to us (Dear Hunter, Glassjaw, Movielife, I Am The Avalanche, This Is Hell, Vinnie Caruana). Sure, to most, that may sound stupid or crazy.  However, when you no longer can regularly attend shows because you have a child and the nearest relative is 2 hours away, you tend to show support in other ways - in our case it's collecting all the damn variants (and tests) in existence.

Nothing wrong with that. especially if you're grabbing variants from the label and not the aftermarket.  I'd still be interested in seeing a list if you've got one – I've seen some decent variant collections, but I spy a few releases in your photo that are approaching levels of Reinventing Axl Rose.

Edited by Derek™

1 hour ago, Derek™ said:

Nothing wrong with that. especially if you're grabbing variants from the label and not the aftermarket.  I'd still be interested in seeing a list if you've got one – I've seen some decent variant collections, but I spy a few releases in your photo that are approaching levels of Reinventing Axl Rose.

Chances are you might be eyeing that center cube - in which case it's I Am The Avalanche (S/T, Avalanche United, Wolverines - all presses, all variants, and tests).  Two cubes below that is This Is Hell (all releases, and all variants of those releases). Long Island bands and their infinite variants... My only regret as a collector is not keeping my discogs collection updated after all these years - it's something that I've slowly been working on though.

1 hour ago, jerkpie said:

i used to collect variants, then i got smart, kept the rarest and sold the rest to fund more records.

my self-sustaining habit

This is exactly where I'm headed. I already got rid of all my Fall Of Troy Doppelganger variants that ETR repressed, because those are worthless to me. I still have the OG pressing from Divergent Records (both variants).

Because the shitloads of variants trend is relatively new and could lead to bankruptcy I have tried to be sensible with them. Only collect for bands/artists I LOVE. Not just like a lot.

And then, don't go for all of them. Chose a couple that really appeal, deluxe editions, signed or whatever.  Although when there is a set of a manageable number like 3 it's very tempting to go for the 'full house'.

• jhulud locked this topic