Do I intentionally deface this semi-valuable record or not...?

I recently purchased two copies of MGMT's Congratulations (both for much less than current Discogs/ebay asking price), but here's the catch -

They are both a limited version that have a jacket cover that has a lottery ticket-style covering that can be scratched away to reveal an alternate cover.

One of the two copies is pristine (and will remain that way), and the other has a quarter-sized area of it already scratched off.

So here's what I'm thinking:

I want to fully scratch off the rest of the one in-progress and have the ability to display this album with both cover versions.

Or am I foolish for defacing a relatively expensive release?

I'm 95% sure i'll go through with it, just wanted to gauge ppls thoughts.

It sounds like you bought the records because you like that record and like the limited variant (which sounds pretty sweet actually). So unless you're planning to flip them, why not scratch one and have a cool display?

Well, first of all, everyone keeps saying my options are to keep it or the flip it and be a douchebag, no one seems to think I could simply resell it at my cost and be done with it, but for that to happen, I had better not scratch it.

Also, this thread gave someone the opportunity to PM me and ask if I'd trade my barely scratched copy with their copy that is half scratched off already. A chance we wouldn't have had otherwise. (not sure if I'm going to do it yet, but it's an option now)