Do I intentionally deface this semi-valuable record or not...?

I wouldn't do it if you ever think you might want to re-sell the extra copy. If you plan on keeping both indefinitely, who cares. Personally, I can't justify doing that just to display it but they're your records so do whatever the hell you want.

... and if you can't make up your mind, just sell it to me and I'll save you the headache :-)

So the consensus is...

No one fucking cares what you do with your records, except we do and especially if you plan on selling it at a fair market value in the future, because then you would be a Douche.

Personally, I wouldn't scratch it.  I would instantly regret having done it.

It's gonna get scratched if it's out of the plastic. One day, you're going to pull it off your shelf, and you're going to discover a big dirty line of metallic foil has come off because the jacket scraped across a bit of dust or whatever on the jacket it was sat next to.

Keep one in the plastic unscratched & framed. Scratch the other and use it as your copy for listening to.

Personally I wouldn't have bought this record for this exact reason, because I'm just a massive ball of neuroses. 

Anyone finding the sarcasm surprising hasn't been here very long. A lot of folks here hate questions of supposed value. Listen to your damn record and scratch the dumb thing if you're curious. New records as an investment with appreciating value is so damn dumb and you created a thread that encapsulates it whether you meant to or not.

Seriously, enjoy it and quit worrying if it will be worth 5 dollars less.

It's a valid question. Weather anyone here wants to admit it certain vinyl has value. If it wasn't the case everyone here would always sell their stuff for the original purchase price. Looking through the for sale section it's obvious that isn't the case.

That being said, like many others have already stated, if you plan on selling the record one day then you probably don't want to scratch it off. If you plan on keeping both copies into perpetuity then it doesn't really matter.

I probably wouldn't scratch regardless bc I like knowing that it has value should I ever need to get rid of it weather I have current day intentions of it or not

I personally believe that if you have two, and are going to do it for displaying purposes, go for it. The 2nd cover is there for a reason isn't it? 

If you decide to do it, which it sounds like you will, be smart about what you use to scratch it off with. Using a quarter or something like that would put all the pressure on one point and would ruin the 2nd cover under it. Most stores that sell tickets have a special tool specifically designed for the task of removing the top layer without messing up where the numbers are underneath. Use the right tool, maybe even go into your local store and simply ask to use it for 5 minutes. Be smart.

I've heard you can safely remove that stuff by shooting it with a gun. I would find your nearest militia group and ask them if you can borrow one for a sec if you don't have one.

I recently purchased two copies of MGMT's Congratulations (both for much less than current Discogs/ebay asking price), but here's the catch -

They are both a limited version that have a jacket cover that has a lottery ticket-style covering that can be scratched away to reveal an alternate cover.

One of the two copies is pristine (and will remain that way), and the other has a quarter-sized area of it already scratched off.

So here's what I'm thinking:

I want to fully scratch off the rest of the one in-progress and have the ability to display this album with both cover versions.

Or am I foolish for defacing a relatively expensive release?

I'm 95% sure i'll go through with it, just wanted to gauge ppls thoughts.

why do people need so much attention? why would you think anyone would have any interest in what you do to your records? should people start making posts asking everyone if they should buy every record before they buy it?