2014 Record Store Day - April 19

gmoney

The list has gotten a good bit better. I'm sure it will definitely pick up the closer it gets to time, as it has in the past. Right now I want that Nirvana tribute, Jay Z/Linkin Park Collision Course, SDRE/Circa split, Botch, and a few others. I look forward to this day every year. Such fun. So excite.

THE DODOS ANNOUNCE LIMITED EDITION RECORD STORE DAY 7"

FEATURING THE MAGIK*MAGIK ORCHESTRA

SPRING TOUR SUPPORTING NEKO CASE + NEW HEADLINING DATES

Stream "Substance" Featuring The Magik*Magik Orchestra  

104.jpg

TheDodos have announced they will be releasing a limited edition 7" single featuring the Magik*Magik Orchestra on Record Store Day, April 19, via Polyvinyl Records.

In the fall of 2013, the San Francisco-based duo reconvened at John Vanderslice's Tiny Telephone studio (where they recorded their latest full-length Carrier) to revisit two songs in collaboration with the Magik*Magik Orchestra.

Featuring beautiful new arrangements, these special performances of "Substance" and "The Ocean" were captured on film by music website Yours Truly and will be released on a one-time, limited edition pressing of 1,000, 7" on yellow vinyl.

Exclusive updates from 311, Cage the Elephant, Kings of Leon, Bleachers, Jimmy Page/Black Crowes Live, MGMT, Jimi Hendrix, Aerosmith, Neko Case, Ray Parker Jr., Outkast, Broken Bells, Devo, Civil Wars and more.

new-vinyl.blogspot.com

Do you have any idea when the SC Distribution labels' releases will be announced? Hoping it's before the official list comes out on 3/20.

US RSD fans might want to check out this list of releases that have been officially announced. The lists of rumors blogs borrow from each other seem to be less accurate than they have been in previous years. I thought this might help people figure out what's what.

Some US bands and labels have announced titles to the public but haven't released the sales information to stores yet, I left those off the list but I will add them when we get the official word. 

If you prefer to see the same list with cover art and links to more information go here. We are still filling in track lists, pressing quantities, etc. so important details are missing, we might add them later.

Several important distributors have yet to release their lists, including Think Indie, as noted above. Many more titles are in the pipeline, so don't fret if something a label or artist announced isn't on my list. It's probably for real. 

Enjoy,

Chris

US RSD fans might want to check out this list of releases that have been officially announced. The lists of rumors blogs borrow from each other seem to be less accurate than they have been in previous years. I thought this might help people figure out what's what.

Some US bands and labels have announced titles to the public but haven't released the sales information to stores yet, I left those off the list but I will add them when we get the official word. 

If you prefer to see the same list with cover art and links to more information go here. We are still filling in track lists, pressing quantities, etc. so important details are missing, we might add them later.

Several important distributors have yet to release their lists, including Think Indie, as noted above. Many more titles are in the pipeline, so don't fret if something a label or artist announced isn't on my list. It's probably for real. 

Enjoy,

Chris

Just out of curiosity Chris, you played a major role in starting Record Store Day and Bullmoose does do a great job in doing great sales on other stuff in the stores on that day and getting bands in at all the stores, but how do you feel about the prices on RSD exclusives climbing year after year? You guys do perhaps the best job out of any store out there to keep them low, but some of the prices that distributors are asking for are pretty outrageous I think and kinda kills the idea (again in my eyes only) about what the day is about. I want to support my local record store, but some of the smaller one shot stores are getting priced out of the game by the distributors.

Enjoy,

Chris

Thanks for the list. Nothing worthy of getting trampled over that's for sure! (At least not on my end) But definitely enough stuff to attempt to grab if it's available. Should be a fun time. :)

Just out of curiosity Chris, you played a major role in starting Record Store Day and Bullmoose does do a great job in doing great sales on other stuff in the stores on that day and getting bands in at all the stores, but how do you feel about the prices on RSD exclusives climbing year after year? You guys do perhaps the best job out of any store out there to keep them low, but some of the prices that distributors are asking for are pretty outrageous I think and kinda kills the idea (again in my eyes only) about what the day is about. I want to support my local record store, but some of the smaller one shot stores are getting priced out of the game by the distributors.

Thanks for the nice words. I'm not sure if I understand your question, so I will give two answers. I hope I answer the right one. Let me know if I don't and I will try again.

If your think that the prices in general are rising, I hadn't noticed much of that. I can think of one label that pushed its prices up last year. I haven't seen their prices this year so I don't know if they brought them back down. We will order less of their stuff this year if it is too expensive so they will correct their pricing next year.

I definitely have seen experimentation over the years. Those 7" box sets a few Black Fridays ago were expensive to produce and didn't sell as we hoped. They were created in response to collectors' requests for higher quality releases, but clearly that was not exactly what people wanted, or at least they didn't think a really cool box was worth an extra $10-15. It was worth a try. Maybe they would have caught on.

Looking back on that, I think that certain kinds of fans wanted better mastering and pressing on the records they like. Of course that adds to the cost, but those fans are willing to pay for the sound they want. We probably could go on and on about this.

If your question was actually about distributors that sell to stores that don't buy direct marking things up too much, I am not an expert. However, some of the stores in two of the three record store coalitions that run RSD rely on those distributors. The people who run those coalitions would take action if their members were being abused. I also suspect that non-coalition stores for whom selling new music is an important part of their business probably know which distributors will treat them best around RSD, because they treat them best all year round.

Let me know if I'm off base and I'll give it another shot.

Chris

Not a whole lot this year that's catching my eye. That's a good thing. My wallet is going to be happy.

i think i'm in your boat - i just bought the NMH box set (just sold out), so i think that may substitute for me going to RSD this year

What?  1000?  Where'd you see that?  I hope that's not the case!  

the numbers will be out once the official list comes out on recordstoreday.com