Help a newbie out - AT-LP60 playing my records too fast

So, I'm brand new to the world of vinyl and 100% completely ignorant about pretty much every aspect of it. I knew well enough not to buy a Crosley or any of those five-in-one type players with the built in speakers, but that's about as much as I knew. 
Anyway, I got the AT-LP60 because it seemed like the best option for me as I don't have a lot of dispensable income. Also, full disclosure, I have it set to line, no pre-amp, I'm using RCA cables and playing it directly through Edifier Exclaim e10 speakers, which I know is sacrificing a lot of the experience but it's the best I can do right now.
Unfortunately, it's playing all of my records slightly too fast, with some of them sounding as much as an entire half-step higher pitched than they should be, and most of the songs are about 4-5 seconds shorter when I listen to them on the vinyl versus digital versions of the same songs. The belt is resting in the groove of properly in the groove of the drive pulley.
All of the records I purchased are pretty new, I think the oldest record I bought was Sufjan Stevens' Illinois, so I thought maybe this is just common among new records. So I put on my dad's copy of Blonde on Blonde, original pressing, and sure enough, Rainy Day Women #12 and 35 clocked in 5 seconds shorter than the digital version I have and was also appropriately noticeably higher pitched.
On the other hand, I have three records (Andrew Jackson Jihad - People Who Can Eat People, Radiohead - Hail to the Thief and HAIM - Days Are Gone) that play ridiculously slow. The AJJ record sounds Satanic it's so slow. They're all 12" 33s, but I have to play them at 45 speed for them to sound okay, but then still they're about 4-5 seconds shorter than they should be.
What's going on? Is this just a s**t table? If I call AT and make a fuss and exchange it for another one, will I have the same problem? Should I just bite the bullet and buy an AT-LP120 or an Orbit Plus or some other table? 
Any help or insight anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated, as at this point I'm afraid to even use the table for fear that it will ruin my records. 
And please, don't be too hard on me for being so ignorant. I'm trying to learn!

We sell the LP60 here at the store and have had a few come back with various issues, though not this particular one I think. Aside from being just a poor quality turntable in general, they are made in China so I can't imagine the quality control being the best. That said, you shouldn't have this problem with your turntable and you should return it for another or upgrade. Like you mentioned, the LP120 is a vast improvement and there is also the Music Hall USB model in the same price range that would be a good option.

45 is faster than 33, so if you're having a problem with it playing to fast for a 33, it's because you have it on 45.  What does it sound like on 33?  I agree with the above poster, the table isn't very good.  You should return it and save a little more money for something better.  This is about $50 more and way more functional.

http://uturnaudio.com/

45 is faster than 33, so if you're having a problem with it playing to fast for a 33, it's because you have it on 45.  What does it sound like on 33?  I agree with the above poster, the table isn't very good.  You should return it and save a little more money for something better.  This is about $50 more and way more functional.

http://uturnaudio.com/

No, it's set to 33, but it sounds about a half-step higher pitched. It's not like Chipmunks or anything.

Another piece of information that can be useful is that some 12" ARE pressed at 45 rpm. Most often this is done on audiophile pressings as, according to some, pressing at 45 rpm improves sound quality. Checking the AJJ record on discogs confirms that this is pressed at 45 rpm. That's not an issue with the 'table. I would recommend sending it back and upgrading anyway. I've heard great things about the LP120 especially because it too has a built in pre-amp especially if you're not looking to spend any more money and want to keep things consistent for a while before upgrading.

This was my first "entry level" turntable a few years ago. I began to notice the exact same problem after about 6 months. Not sure if something happened, or I just never noticed it before, but yeah, I don't think some of the other posters here get what you're saying.

His turntable is spinning at 34rpm or 35rpm, (somewhere in there, anyway) instead of 33 1/3. Optimistically, I'd say it could be a belt issue, but it could also be a serious motor issue. No one likes to hear this, but an upgrade would be the best option.

Pro-Ject's, AT-LP120's, and even the U-Turn Orbit have all been well received here. Worth looking into if you can't live with this 'table, or if you just want to get more from your records.

Another piece of information that can be useful is that some 12" ARE pressed at 45 rpm. Most often this is done on audiophile pressings as, according to some, pressing at 45 rpm improves sound quality. Checking the AJJ record on discogs confirms that this is pressed at 45 rpm. That's not an issue with the 'table. I would recommend sending it back and upgrading anyway. I've heard great things about the LP120 especially because it too has a built in pre-amp especially if you're not looking to spend any more money and want to keep things consistent for a while before upgrading.

Okay, I thought that might be the case. That makes a lot of sense, and looked up the other two albums and confirmed they were pressed at 45 rpm as well. Thank you for that.

This was my first "entry level" turntable a few years ago. I began to notice the exact same problem after about 6 months. Not sure if something happened, or I just never noticed it before, but yeah, I don't think some of the other posters here get what you're saying.

His turntable is spinning at 34rpm or 35rpm, (somewhere in there, anyway) instead of 33 1/3. Optimistically, I'd say it could be a belt issue, but it could also be a serious motor issue. No one likes to hear this, but an upgrade would be the best option.

Pro-Ject's, AT-LP120's, and even the U-Turn Orbit have all been well received here. Worth looking into if you can't live with this 'table, or if you just want to get more from your records.

Yes, this is exactly what's happening. And now that I've heard it, I can't unhear it and it's incredibly irritating.

There are two things pushing me more towards the AT-LP120 instead of one of the Orbits or a Pro-Jects.

The first is, I don't own a pre-amp. Although I would eventually have to buy one anyway if I stick with vinyl, I'd imagine. But I don't see the point in buying a pre-amp until I also have a better stereo system to play my table through. 

The second thing is the wait. I could order the 120 and have it within a week probably, whereas I'd be waiting until at least March for the Orbit to ship.

Honestly, there are just so many things about this that I still don't understand. Tracking force, anti-skate, brake effect, counterweight, wow and flutter - I keep reading these things and I'm having trouble fully understanding them. I can listen to a song and play it by ear and read and quickly understand liberal arts/philosophy type concepts, but when it comes to technical/mechanical/engineering/audiophile type stuff, knowing how things work, I am a very slow learner. 

But I recently found a box of my parents old vinyl and my buddy brought over his 5-in-1 Crosley, and even on that thing, listening to Blonde on Blonde, All Things Must Pass, 2112, Round About Midnight, I could tell that vinyl was the best way to listen to music. So I had to get into it.

Honestly, there are just so many things about this that I still don't understand. Tracking force, anti-skate, brake effect, counterweight, wow and flutter - I keep reading these things and I'm having trouble fully understanding them. I can listen to a song and play it by ear and read and quickly understand liberal arts/philosophy type concepts, but when it comes to technical/mechanical/engineering/audiophile type stuff, knowing how things work, I am a very slow learner.

I'd recommend this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnskL8Pe6fk

Goes into the more technical things about turntables, but keeps it really easy to understand.

• 3 weeks later...

I have had my AT-LP60 for about 13 months and noticed the same wow and flutter and pitch issues a couple months ago.

I only really notice when I'm listening to albums I really know, but it's definitely disappointing. I've been researching remedies and there don't really seem to be any.  

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that a belt issue? I had a really crappy old belt turntable and the same thing was going on with it. If you have the money, upgrade to the LP-120. Leaps and bounds better than the LP-60

i would get the orbit over the lp 120... at least the one with the acrylic platter... its similar to a pro-ject debut

why would you reward Audio Technica by throwing more money at them after they sold you a junk product the first time around?  

Do not let a phono preamp be a barrier to entry.  You can get an inexpensive phono preamp that will be at least as good as whatever comes in the AT 120 and then upgrade down the road.

i would get the orbit over the lp 120... at least the one with the acrylic platter... its similar to a pro-ject debut

Or save your money for a Project Debut.

It's better to go all the way to the nearest and best option rather waste money by going halfway and going again. Don't buy the Orbit OR the LP120 if you'd EVER like a Debut in the future. Save the money until it's time and you will not regret it.

why would you reward Audio Technica by throwing more money at them after they sold you a junk product the first time around?  

Do not let a phono preamp be a barrier to entry.  You can get an inexpensive phono preamp that will be at least as good as whatever comes in the AT 120 and then upgrade down the road.

The preamp in the LP-120 is best not used. It's cack at best and the only thing in there that's really bad, it lets down a perfectly usable turntable.