Question Re: WU LYF - Go Tell Fire On The Mountain

So all evidence online suggests this record is fairly rare, with only one available on Amazon for $117 (US), one on Amazon UK for about $82, and I can't find it on any independent retailers. I did, however, find an incredibly cheap copy of it on Amazon JP for about $35 after shipping, but I noticed that it has a different EAN as well as the picture being of the CD artwork and not the artwork that is featured on the original pressing vinyl. So I'm guessing what I bought was an import, which I'm fine with, it saves me money, but I'm relatively new to vinyl collecting, so can anyone who's better at this stuff shed some light?

So all evidence online suggests this record is fairly rare, with only one available on Amazon for $117 (US), one on Amazon UK for about $82, and I can't find it on any independent retailers. I did, however, find an incredibly cheap copy of it on Amazon JP for about $35 after shipping, but I noticed that it has a different EAN as well as the picture being of the CD artwork and not the artwork that is featured on the original pressing vinyl. So I'm guessing what I bought was an import, which I'm fine with, it saves me money, but I'm relatively new to vinyl collecting, so can anyone who's better at this stuff shed some light?

Ā 

I am going to guess that it's a bootleg copy. The only vinyl versions I know of have different artwork than the CD. Had no idea this was so rare. Glad I have my original :).

I am going to guess that it's a bootleg copy. The only vinyl versions I know of have different artwork than the CD. Had no idea this was so rare. Glad I have my original :).

I'd guess it's a mis-categorized CD, or a vinyl copy that Amazon assigned the standard art to. It's not a stretch.

Ā 

Band broke up, they were on Universal Music, probably wasn't a huge seller, I'd be surprised if this doesn't stay out of print. Get it while you can.

The thing is, it's actually Amazon selling it, and they don't usually sell bootlegs do they?

Ā 

I'd guess it's a mis-categorized CD, or a vinyl copy that Amazon assigned the standard art to. It's not a stretch.

Ā 

Band broke up, they were on Universal Music, probably wasn't a huge seller, I'd be surprised if this doesn't stay out of print. Get it while you can.

I sincerely hope i didn't just spend 35 dollars on a CD. Here's what I bought.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B004ZEKCU0/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's not too late for me to cancel, don't know whether I should or not.Ā 

When you search the EAN on BookButler this is what comes up.Ā 

http://www.bookbutler.com/music/compare?isbn=5051083058353

Says it's a vinyl. I dunno. And Discogs does list two separate LP entries for the album, but they're not that reliable, and it lists releases in US and UK, not Japan.

And the EAN on BookButler for the version with the correct artwork, just for comparison's sake.Ā 

http://www.bookbutler.com/music/compare?isbn=0656605787510

Yeah, I looked at it, but it'sĀ out of stock. The one I ordered doesn't ship until mid-Feb so if shows up as in stock any time before then then I will.

If it arrives and it's a CD, contact the seller and tell them you ordered a vinyl copy but a CD arrived, and ask if they have a vinyl copy to send instead. This sort of thing happens all the time, and while it's a bummer the worst thing that'll happen to you is you'll have to go to the post office to return it.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 years later...
1 hour ago, MyEnemy said:

I see what you did there. šŸ‘

Ā 

Sold my original copy right I got the second one.Ā 

Iā€™d probably do the same. Ā Whereā€™d you luck out with a copy in case homeboy is feeling diligent? Ā Huge bummer that this album isnā€™t likely to get reissued anytime soon, and then more tragic that if it did, so few people would be willing to give it a chance. Ā I think this is the definitive ā€œlol wtf are these vocals?ā€ band ā€“ such a big roadblock for most folks when the music itself is so solid.