Question Re: WU LYF - Go Tell Fire On The Mountain

34 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

I’d probably do the same.  Where’d you luck out with a copy in case homeboy is feeling diligent?  Huge bummer that this album isn’t likely to get reissued anytime soon, and then more tragic that if it did, so few people would be willing to give it a chance.  I think this is the definitive “lol wtf are these vocals?” band – such a big roadblock for most folks when the music itself is so solid.

Yeah, they never really got the huge support over here, that I thought they deserved. They blew the fuck up over in the UK and EUR, but will always be this cult band in the US. I love the vocals, I don’t think either parts(music and vocals) can exist without each other. One of my favorite records of the of the last 10 years. I remember almost shitting myself when I heard the singles in 2010. 

I was able to pick up the second copy from someone on eBay that didn’t know what they had. Or didn’t care. Saw them put it up a couple times and didn’t sell, so I offered $30 PPD and hoped they wouldn’t catch on. It was the UK press and a bit beat up, so I sold my pristine US copy.

the vocals are what make this band what they are. It’s obviously not going to be for everyone just like death grips isn’t for everyone but it is what makes this band so special and I wouldn’t have it any other way.

also was luckily enough to catch them at Coachella before they broke up that year and they are phenomenal live. 

I found a used copy of the US press on a local store's website last weekend, and I finally bit the bullet. It's also signed on the back cover with "Alright man, you're a king love u" and "you're a beautiful human - joe" and just "Ellery" with a heart. It's pretty sweet. Great, great album! 

You guys ever see their Letterman performance?  Maybe this is why the band dissolved.  First time performing on television – personally thought they did just fine – but Dave was not expecting those vocals.  You can tell he had a boomer laughing fit and is on the cusp of wheezing by the time their performance concludes.  Everything about the wrap-up at 3:41 is so cringe.

“Hey nice job!  Way to go, buddy.”

The way the band just kind of walks off like, whatever is pretty awkward to... not that I blame them in the least.