U-Turn Audio

Does anyone own a U-Turn Orbit table?  http://uturnaudio.com/

I need a new table and don't have any desire to spend more than $200 so U-Turn looks like an interesting option.  Are they any good?  What is the difference (besides price) between the Basic and the Plus models?

Thanks for the help.

The Project Elemental doesn't appear to be available in the US and Euro prices seem about double of the U-Turn. 

To answer your question; the plus gets you color options, an acrylic platter, and a slightly better cartridge.  I think once you're at that price, you're better off with the Project Essential for a few dollars more.

The Project Elemental doesn't appear to be available in the US and Euro prices seem about double of the U-Turn. 

To answer your question; the plus gets you color options, an acrylic platter, and a slightly better cartridge.  I think once you're at that price, you're better off with the Project Essential for a few dollars more.

I believe the Elemental is going worldwide this year.  Not much help if you are in the market for a table asap, though.

Any updates from anyone who's taken order of a u-turn yet?

I am supposed to recieve mine in march, with an upgraded acrylic platter, grado blue cartridge.

With what I've read about their tone arm and the results of their testing, this table should theoretically be a better performer at a better price than either RP1 or Carbon?

Uni pivot tone arm

Acrylic platter

Grado blue cart

All for about $150 less.

Thoughts on this?

Any updates from anyone who's taken order of a u-turn yet?

I am supposed to recieve mine in march, with an upgraded acrylic platter, grado blue cartridge.

With what I've read about their tone arm and the results of their testing, this table should theoretically be a better performer at a better price than either RP1 or Carbon?

Uni pivot tone arm

Acrylic platter

Grado blue cart

All for about $150 less.

Thoughts on this?

My thought is that I highly doubt it's anywhere close to a RP1 or Carbon. Just my opinion.

I haven't heard a Uturn so this is based purely on my knowledge of unipivots but If the arm is right then in theory I would expect it outperform the Project arm but probably not the Rega.

Unipivots when right are superb but they are a bugger to get right, Iv'e got nothing against the Project arm but the Rega arm is pretty much an industry standard now and very hard to beat at it's price and if pushed between the Project and the Rega will always choose the Rega purely because of the arm.

Also the acrylic platter should be a gain but I expect the biggest differences will come down to bearings, motor and of course the cartridge used.

On the bearing and motor I would expect both Project and Rega to have this pretty right as they have been at it for years.

There are also other variables like the wire used in the tonearm etc. And again I would expect Project and Rega to have this sorted.

I would love to hear all three in a back to back test using the same cart though as cold hard fact is always much better than theory, conjecture and opinion.

One other thing to consider with all three of these turntables is that if you want to upgrade to any of the upper end decks you can take the Rega arm with you, you can't so easily with the other two.

Understood but why?

I'm just going to assume that companies like Rega and Pro-ject, who have been making turntables for so long, are going to be better than college kids cashing in on a trend. Don't get me wrong the U-Turn seems like a great entry level table and is a million times better than any Crosley or Ion. I'd personally spend slightly more on something like a Rega or Pro-ject but that's just me.

I'm just going to assume that companies like Rega and Pro-ject, who have been making turntables for so long, are going to be better than college kids cashing in on a trend. Don't get me wrong the U-Turn seems like a great entry level table and is a million times better than any Crosley or Ion. I'd personally spend slightly more on something like a Rega or Pro-ject but that's just me.

You know what they say about when you assume things.... :)

I'm going to reserve judgement until I hear one because these guys could have got it right first time. There is always luck and you don't need to be a genius or have experience to benefit from that, if it works and sounds good that's all that matters.

Mind you if it good and it is down to luck then it will be difficult to repeat.