Cartridge Recommendations for Technics SL-L1

Hey everybody,

I have a Tchnics SL-L1 that was given to me by my uncle and was formerly my dad's before that. So I was talking to him at Christmas, and my uncle and dad both confirmed they hadn't changed the cartridge since it was brand new. So I have read the beginner's guide, and I wanted some recommendations on a new cartridge. 

I have looked into:

• Audio-Technica AT95E
  • Audio-Technica AT92E
  • Grado BLACK1 Prestige

Now, I want to spend < $60/70. I have heard of issues with the Grado BLACK1 on another forum. Is there another cartridge around this price range I should be looking at?

Thanks in advance, any help would be greatly appreciated!

My setup (if it matters):

• Technics SL-L1
  • Sony STR-7045
  • Polk T15

I'd also think about the shure m97xe.

I use it, and it suits my taste well. In the sense that it's a very even cart. It doesn't boost anything and leaves you with just the music as it was recorded.

It's a little above the $60 range, but not by much. And it comes with it's own tools and alignment guide too. So that helps setup

It's not as daunting as it may first seem. There are a lot of videos on YouTube to help. I'd highly recommend getting some mini screwdrivers and a set of small, long nosed pliers.

Oh and also, get a strong magnet. And put it close to all your new small tools. Leave it for a few days and they'll now be magnetised too.

It really helps a lot with the fiddly things

Thanks! Didn't even think about that! 

Hey everybody,

I have a Tchnics SL-L1 that was given to me by my uncle and was formerly my dad's before that. So I was talking to him at Christmas, and my uncle and dad both confirmed they hadn't changed the cartridge since it was brand new. So I have read the beginner's guide, and I wanted some recommendations on a new cartridge. 

I have looked into:

• Audio-Technica AT95E
  • Audio-Technica AT92E
  • Grado BLACK1 Prestige

Now, I want to spend < $60/70. I have heard of issues with the Grado BLACK1 on another forum. Is there another cartridge around this price range I should be looking at?

Thanks in advance, any help would be greatly appreciated!

My setup (if it matters):

• Technics SL-L1
  • Sony STR-7045
  • Polk T15

If you are in the US then Shure or Audio Technica will probabaly be your best bet in that price range and of the two I would go Shure as jase suggested.

If you are in the US then Shure or Audio Technica will probabaly be your best bet in that price range and of the two I would go Shure as jase suggested.

definitely go for the shure, as they even have a 2 year warranty on all of their needles/carts. if you send in a broken needle or cart with receipt, they'll ship you out a new one for free.

Looks like I'm getting the shure. Thanks for all the help!  :)