Overall, the Grammys weren't that bad. I was indifferent about the people winning who I didn't care for.

Performances that were great: Taylor Swift, The Highwaymen, NIN & QOTSA (until Queens got cut off to end the show, which was laaaaaaame!)

What I did find extremely amusing, as with every awards show like this, is the plethora of tweets and FB statuses by people who are on their high horse and think that stuff like this is below them. Plenty of "fuck mainstream music" posts and the few that were "edgy" and so punk that they had to post that they didn't care for the Grammys cuz it's all music they don't listen to and not worth it.

Cutting off the QOTSA performance was super lame. Best performance of the night.

• 1 year later...

Well, Kanye isn't wrong (except telling Beck - out of all people - to respect artistry). I mean, there's no way Morning Phase should've gotten AOTY over Beyoncé's self-titled. Shit, even Beck was like "the fuck?" when he made his way to the stage. He should've won 10+ years ago but was robbed twice. More proof that the Grammy committee is out of touch, honoring veterans when it's other's time to shine.

Because he's really good at what he does.

I respectfully disagree.

Michael Jackson is still insanely popular and that guy was a monster.

I agree.

Well, Kanye isn't wrong

Do you think Beck should have given up his award to Beyoncé, like Kanye demanded? I hope not.

But hey, let's not pretend that Grammy night should be taken all that seriously anyway. It is a joke. People are just pissed at Kanye's (recurring) total lack of respect for other people. Even if you agree with Kanye, you gotta see what childish bullshit this is. It's not an "artistry" thing, it's a manners thing.

That said, Beck handled this like a boss.

I can't really speak to the quality of B's album, as I'm not even sure I've heard a single song from it. But every song on Morning Phase is great. Beck really is one of the last true artists in the major label game (writing his own songs, constantly changing his sound, etc.). I have a suspicion Ye is just out of touch on this one. 

Prediction: Kanye backpedals, apologizes and features Beck on his new album.

Objectively, yes. He has sold millions of albums, received a staggering number of accolades, and has influenced countless artists to come.

Subjectively, it is my personal opinion that his music is mediocre.

But I do agree that it's his art that should be important, not his outrageous media antics.

Do you think Beck should have given up his award to Beyoncé, like Kanye demanded? I hope not.

But hey, let's not pretend that Grammy night should be taken all that seriously anyway. It is a joke. People are just pissed at Kanye's (recurring) total lack of respect for other people. Even if you agree with Kanye, you gotta see what childish bullshit this is. It's not an "artistry" thing, it's a manners thing.

That said, Beck handled this like a boss.

Oh no, that's just stupid. Macklemore apologizing to Kendrick Lamar for winning Best Rap Album a million times was already silly. Kanye was obviously completely off telling Beck to respect artistry and giving the award away (he likely knows little to nothing about him) but I agree with his sentiment that the actual best music of the year by the best artists of the current generation usually gets screwed over. Beck being the winner instead of say, Iggy Azalea, makes the whole thing a rather incomprehensible situation, since nobody can say anything against him as an artist. Dude's got a bad way of expressing his frustrations, which doesn't make it alright but I see where he's coming from, since there are plenty of examples.

Anyway, I think it's pretty obvious that the Grammys are trying to make up for their past wrongdoings when they snubbed artists like Beck (as well as Radiohead and Eminem in his prime) for the likes of Celine Dion and a past-their-prime Steely Dan. They did the same with Herbie Hancock and Robert Plant 5-odd years ago. Apparently, they've always been out of touch like that, since some random Sinatra record won over Revolver in the Sixties and some Unplugged albums actually won on several occasions.

Not disappointed that Gambino didn't win Best Rap Album, I was surprised he got even nominated. MMLP2 is overrated but I think everyone's just kinda fine with it just because Iggy Azalea didn't win anything lol.

Of course, Grammys don't mean shit and they never honored the qualitatively best music of the year, but it does get quite a bit of buzz since it's the biggest music award show of the year. It's kinda impossible to ignore it, so I might as well discuss it.

What?

While Morning Phase is a pretty decent album and I'm happy for Beck, it doesn't deserve AOTY as much as Beyoncé's self-titled, which was a tour de force of a record and was both commercially and critically acclaimed. I've never been a big fan of hers but to me, it was easily the best among the nominees (I was surprised MP was even nominated over Lazaretto tbh).