Brand New - Deja Entendu

Lol IMO that is not a cover, that is a copy

This is a crappy unpopular band jumping on the back of a popular bands song playing it note for note hoping to gain some public exposure along the way. Except in this case it doesn’t work because their version is much, much crappier. Why would I listen to this crappy version when I could just as well listen to the much better original version?

IMO a great example of a quality “cover” is The Atari’s Boys of Summer, who don’t just “copy” the song and actually make their own stylized new sounding version. Smooth Criminal by AAF is another good example. The songs sound redone, covered. And it’s because people actually PREFER their new style of the song over the originals, that’s why The Atari and Alien Ant Farm versions got so much airtime.

This is just a crappy band trying to hope they get face time by playing a popular Brand New song and putting their name on it. 

Lol IMO that is not a cover, that is a copy

This is a crappy unpopular band jumping on the back of a popular bands song playing it note for note hoping to gain some public exposure along the way. Except in this case it doesn’t work because their version is much, much crappier. Why would I listen to this crappy version when I could just as well listen to the much better original version?

IMO a great example of a quality “cover” is The Atari’s Boys of Summer, who don’t just “copy” the song and actually make their own stylized new sounding version. Smooth Criminal by AAF is another good example. The songs sound redone, covered. And it’s because people actually PREFER their new style of the song over the originals, that’s why The Atari and Alien Ant Farm versions got so much airtime.

This is just a crappy band trying to hope they get face time by playing a popular Brand New song and putting their name on it. 

Totally agree. One thing I really dislike is going to a bar and there being a cover band that is just trying to sound exactly like the song they are covering. I don't see the point. Just turn on the radio at that point. When I go to a bar I want to hang out and talk to friends and not have crappy music blared at me. 

I also see music as an art. What is the point of someone being able to paint a copy of the mona lisa or whatever? I want someone to show me what they can do, not what someone has already done. 

When people take a song and they make it their own it is pretty sweet. One time I went to a bar and a dude was playing 80's/90's pop on his acoustic guitar. That was enjoyable. 

I can appreciate playing a cover and making it sound exactly like the original because it shows some technical proficiency. However, making a song sound like your own is cool too. However, it really depends on the song and band being covered. I don't want to see some ass hat turn Bohemian rhapsody into a country song. But I like the acoustic Portuguese covers of David Bowie songs in that Life aquatic movie.

• 7 months later...