A Thread for Runners - 2016 Yearly Challenge - Most Miles

So I searched for a general thread on running here and didn't see any other than people asking specific questions, all of which died a long time ago. So I decided to start one haha

I figured this could be a place to discuss anything and everything, races, training, shoes, stretching, foam rollers, tracking apps, injuries, how your run went today, whatever.

I'm not sure if there are any or many runners on a record collecting thread but I figured I'd try it out.

So, any runners?

EDIT:

Join the ongoing challenge here:
Yearly Challenge:

www.endomondo.com/challenges/26541669

Vinyl Collective Yearly Running Challenge Champion:
2014 - Josh D - peanutbutter beard - 1082.17 miles
2015 - Nathan T - ntslash - 1203.02
Vinyl Collective Monthly Challenge Champion:
2015:
January-March (Most Workouts) - Dave C - GentlemanJerseyDave - 57 Workouts
April (Most Miles) - Nathan T - ntslash - 122.50 miles
May (Fastest 5k) - Nathan T - ntslash - 18:22
June (First to 30 Miles) - Nathan T - ntslash - 5 days
July (Most Active Minutes) - Dave C - GentlemanJerseyDave - 27h:5m
August (Most Miles in 12 Minutes) - Nathan T - ntslash - 2.09 miles
September (Farthest in 1 Hours) - Nathan T - ntslash - 9.14 miles
October (Fastest 5 Miles) - Nathan T - ntslash - 31:12
November-December (Most Calories) - Nathan T - ntslash - 24,700 kcal

And I guess I'll try to start the conversation. I've been considering going the foam roller or the stick route, anyone use these? What do you think? Recommendations? When do you use it? Do you still stretch or did you replace stretching with the roller?

Or hey, discuss any races you have coming up or training you're currently doing. Whatever you would like.

Also, if anyone is interested and uses Endomondo to track their runs (if you use a different app, you can import .gpx files as well), I was considering setting up a VC challenge. Challenges just keep track of how far each member that is a part of the challenge has run. You can do it monthly or yearly or we could do both. If there's any interest I can set that up.

I personally use Google MyTracks to track all of my runs and then export the .gpx and import that into Endomondo and it works great.

I hate running. But I want to love it. I downloaded a couch to 5K app and started to do it. But I don't make time for it. I did the first week, and it isn't difficult...

I just have a real lack of motivation.

Anyway I dunno what the foam roller and stick route are all about, so I can't really say anything about them. Your endomondo idea is good though. I could see using that myself.  

I hate running. But I want to love it. I downloaded a couch to 5K app and started to do it. But I don't make time for it. I did the first week, and it isn't difficult...

I just have a real lack of motivation.

Anyway I dunno what the foam roller and stick route are all about, so I can't really say anything about them. Your endomondo idea is good though. I could see using that myself.  

Yeah, I had trouble getting motivated too, but I found after I got in a routine and got into better shape and started enjoying it, it became less of a chore and more of something I was doing because I wanted to. That took a little while though, like a month or 3 haha if you can do it for a month straight I bet you'd start enjoying it and be more likely to stick with it.

I use Map My Run, but I'm not running anywhere until we hit 60 degrees. 

So do you take the winter off, or do you do something to cross train?

I'm not much of a runner anyway. In the summer I'll do maybe 3 - 5 a couple times a week but usually as a way to stay fit between soccer. I've though about trying to up the mileage but I never really get around to it.

In the winter I do play indoor but I don't do any running. So around May I'll probably be starting around 2 - 3 and working up. 

Great idea for a threat.  I run 5-6 days a week and have for years. I've always found it as a great way to clear my head.  In terms of stretching I do a quick stretch before and after the run, unless I'm working on sprinting in which is stretch for longer.  I've never used any mapping apps of gps but sometimes I'll run with a stopwatch to check my splits.

I'd like to get faster and increase my distance but my back really holds me back.  I had my spine fused about 5 years back and I have never been the same.  At least I can run period.  

Great idea for a threat.  I run 5-6 days a week and have for years. I've always found it as a great way to clear my head.  In terms of stretching I do a quick stretch before and after the run, unless I'm working on sprinting in which is stretch for longer.  I've never used any mapping apps of gps but sometimes I'll run with a stopwatch to check my splits.

I'd like to get faster and increase my distance but my back really holds me back.  I had my spine fused about 5 years back and I have never been the same.  At least I can run period.  

Yeah, it's definitely a great way to clear your head, I love tossing on some headphones and just running and listening to music. I only run 3 times a week right now, want to get to 4 eventually. I stopped stretching before running and started just starting out slowly instead and then getting a good stretch in after my run. I've read that static stretching before running actually decreases your power and efficiency, so I started doing dynamic stretches pre-run. But I switched to a slow jog warm up recently.

I've heard alot about foam rollers and the stick (something like this: http://www.pro-tecathletics.com/57038/586624/Massage/Pro--Tec-Roller-Massager.html) and am considering trying it out, but haven't pulled the trigger yet haha

How far are you running now? It seriously is amazing that you're running with a fused spine though!

Yeah, it's definitely a great way to clear your head, I love tossing on some headphones and just running and listening to music. I only run 3 times a week right now, want to get to 4 eventually. I stopped stretching before running and started just starting out slowly instead and then getting a good stretch in after my run. I've read that static stretching before running actually decreases your power and efficiency, so I started doing dynamic stretches pre-run. But I switched to a slow jog warm up recently.

I've heard alot about foam rollers and the stick (something like this: http://www.pro-tecathletics.com/57038/586624/Massage/Pro--Tec-Roller-Massager.html) and am considering trying it out, but haven't pulled the trigger yet haha

How far are you running now? It seriously is amazing that you're running with a fused spine though!

Typically I run 2-3 miles or less.  I find that after back surgery distance running really flares my back up bad making it so cannot run for a few days afterward, so I choose quantity in terms of days vs. distance.

I'm in the middle of my off-season run block. With the exception of the week I was sick I've been hitting over 30 miles of training a week in addition to my other work. Got a couple new pairs of shoes and really dig the Asics Gels I got. I've long been a Nike Free Run 5 fan as well - as a bonus I always get the craziest color. Right now that is baby blue and bright pink. 

You ask about the Stick - I have one. It works but it isn't a long term solution for me yet. I have had my right knee surgically repaired 3x and this meant favoring my left side. I'm working on correcting my form but in the interim I get nice knots in my left calf. I roller three minutes before and then after I run and it is undoubtedly helping with the knots. No question. 

Some folks are raving about the foot rollers that recently came out but I can't see getting one. 

I just did a new running mix so I should post that sometime. I try to make a new one every month or so. 

Anyone in here compete? Do Triathlons (my focus)? etc. I wouldn't mind finding more swimmers on here since I find swimming related forums way too overwhelming. I'm not a bad swimmer - always top-third in my age group but I wasn't raised in the pool and those that were adopt it as a sort of lifestyle that I can never relate to. 

I do have a question for folks: what do you take for pain management or inflammation? 

I ask since due to the aforementioned surgeries plus three concussions that leave with headaches to this day - I have more or less developed a reliance on Ibuproferin for just about everything. It is borderline addiction. I've often joked that my life should be sponsored by Advil. Headache - three advil. Pre-workout - three advil. Post-workout - three advil. Hangover - more advil. Sore back - Advil. You get the picture. 

So I read an article that convinced me I have really messed up my bodies natural ability to respond to pain and heal. Beyond that the sheer volume was dangerous. Read up on Ibuproferin or Tylanol Toxicity. It is really bad. 

Three weeks ago I went cold turkey off ibuproferin with a pledge not to touch it for 30 days minimum. Here I am today with a headache and a soreness in my knee after running 5.5 miles and the cup of tea I've been relying on for comfort isn't doing the trick. Suggestions? I'm open to anything non-pharma. 

I've tried patella bands, braces and compression - I am not a very fast guy, only broke my first 7minute miles recently (two miles that is). I'm typically in the 7:30 - 8:30 mile range for a good six miler depending on whether it's a race and how hilly. I find anything on my knee to be distracting and slows me down where I'm already a slow dude. Since I train to race seconds have come to matter.

That said, maybe I need to revisit it for training for this period where my volume is going up. Something needs to give at some point. Thanks for the reply. 

I'm in the middle of my off-season run block. With the exception of the week I was sick I've been hitting over 30 miles of training a week in addition to my other work. Got a couple new pairs of shoes and really dig the Asics Gels I got. I've long been a Nike Free Run 5 fan as well - as a bonus I always get the craziest color. Right now that is baby blue and bright pink. 

You ask about the Stick - I have one. It works but it isn't a long term solution for me yet. I have had my right knee surgically repaired 3x and this meant favoring my left side. I'm working on correcting my form but in the interim I get nice knots in my left calf. I roller three minutes before and then after I run and it is undoubtedly helping with the knots. No question. 

Some folks are raving about the foot rollers that recently came out but I can't see getting one. 

I just did a new running mix so I should post that sometime. I try to make a new one every month or so. 

Anyone in here compete? Do Triathlons (my focus)? etc. I wouldn't mind finding more swimmers on here since I find swimming related forums way too overwhelming. I'm not a bad swimmer - always top-third in my age group but I wasn't raised in the pool and those that were adopt it as a sort of lifestyle that I can never relate to. 

Damn dude that's a lot of mileage! haha have you signed up for your next tri yet? I was running 5km 3x a week and decided to run a half marathon that was 6 weeks away, needless to say I injured myself (though I was happy with my time haha) so right now I'm trying to build base mileage up so I can gradually increase my distance. I'm running 2-3 miles now, and I want to get to 5 miles during the spring with maybe a 10km long run once a week. I want to maintain that for awhile and then look to getting back into competing in half marathons and eventually a marathon as well.

I don't know much on the pain management front though, sorry. But with The Stick, are you rolling and then stretching post-run, or just rolling or what?

I've been using these forever:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004RE3YNA/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_8ve7sb1DW4JAR

I've been through a few of these through the years and like them a lot. They're really cheap (another plus) but I think the sound quality is good for running and they don't move at all. They also come with pads you can put over them to make them larger if you have smaller ears, like I do.

As far as the weight goes I don't have personal experience with it but I know my neighbor had the same problem with his knees hurting because of his weight. He used an elliptical and stationary bike to lose some initial weight because they're easier on your knees, and then began running and his knees didn't bother him at all. again, not an expert but a suggestion for sure haha

I've always found it as a great way to clear my head.

This x1000. Running is my way of clearing away stress and it works so, so well. Picked it up in 2011 from my roommate who is a fitness-head.

I run about 25 miles a week, currently at 8:30/mile pace(hilly terrain).

Headphones:

http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/shop_online/headphones/audio_headphones/in_ear_headphones/index.jsp

sound quality is top notch, but the real sell is these things NEVER fall out. price is high for my taste but I asked for these as gift.

Tracker: 

http://nikeplus.nike.com/plus/products/sport_watch/

nice looking watch overall. i wear it as my everyday. it saves all your runs/times and gives you interval times if you set them. has deeper nike+ functions too if you sync to your computer but i never bothered to mess with it.

Headphones:

http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/shop_online/headphones/audio_headphones/in_ear_headphones/index.jsp

sound quality is top notch, but the real sell is these things NEVER fall out. price is high for my taste but I asked for these as gift.

100% back these in-ears

wow you replace them every 4 months? how much mileage are you putting on them? I've always heard you can easily get 500 miles out of each pair and then after that you can still get a lot more, it just depends per runner. the people I've talked to say you can start to feel tweaks and small aches and that's how they know to get some new ones. I've seen people say anywhere between 500-900 miles on a single pair. I've got about 300 miles on my current pair and they still feel great. although I only use my shoes for running and nothing else, so I guess they could wear faster if you're wearing them for other things too.