A Thread for Runners - 2016 Yearly Challenge - Most Miles

IT band is so crucial for running. If they are messed up you can't do any sort of long distance running.

My test runs over the past week have gone poorly. I'm not getting past 4-5 miles before soreness settles in. The last step to medically deferring the NYC Marathon is sending in the paperwork. I'm insanely depressed over it, really hard to put in so much work to have this setback. I am comfortably cycling/spinning - no high intensity stuff - and swimming, so I am keeping up my cardio and strength and will just play it safe and easy. 

• 1 month later...

• 4 weeks later...

How'd you guys do with your goals this year? My goal was to gradually increase my mileage while coming back from injury and maybe hit 500 miles on the year. I ended up doing just that with no injuries, a PR half marathon in October and finishing with 603 miles on the year. Greatly exceeding my expectations and killing my goals.

Ran 603.35 miles. Went out for 159 Runs. A total of 3d:12h:38m:03s of running. Burned 54,518 calories:

2014-12-31%2008.17.17_zpsxyhr6pqh.png

Definitely an encouraging year and I'm setting a goal of 700 miles for 2015! What about you guys? Goals for 2015?

Also, is anyone interested in another/more Endomondo challenges? The full year distance challenge was pretty much dominated by Josh haha but I realized we could do monthly distance, active minutes or number of workouts challenges which I think would be more competitive and maybe even help some people get motivated running again in the new year. But if there's no interest I'll just lay it to rest haha

Congrats Josh, you won the 2014 Vinyl Collective Yearly Running Challenge by a staggering 478 miles, finishing with 1082.17 miles logged. You should put some sort of banner in your signature or something haha

As a group, the 6 people in the challenge ran 2,304 miles, ran for 14.79 days and burned 238,193 calories, not too shabby.

Way to go, Rob! 

I fell off relatively early on this past year. Not too happy with myself about that but all I can do is stick with it this year. I learned that I really hate running with my phone attached to my arm so I won't be doing all of the tracking but I will be logging my miles after my runs. Setting a goal of 500 miles for myself this year. I think I'm going to end up beating that by a bit but it's the number I want to start with. 

Are we starting a new challenge for 2015?  

Awesome, 500 miles is definitely a good goal, challenging but still obtainable ya know. but yeah, I'd be willing to set up another challenge if other people are interested again. and like I said in my previous post we could do monthly challenges or different types of challenges so it would be more competitive. Whatever you guys want to do.

Nice one, Rob!

My goal last year was 600km, i've kinda eased off on the distance these days and i'm sticking to intervals instead so that was made up of somewhere in the region of 100 5km runs and some slightly longer ones, all the 5kms were usually around the 21-22 min mark. I do enjoy running but slogging out longer distances wasn't for me this year, i do it to stay in shape to play football and cutting down to shorter intense runs has made a massive difference, i've never been in better shape, my body fat was 12% over the summer - and as someone who was a fatty until the age of 20, that was something i never thought i'd manage! 

I was just thinking of this thread. My goals were derailed with the IT Band injury - turned out to be more severe than I suspected and doing the 70.3 on an injury was a laughably poor decision. I didn't run from early October until mid-December after my test runs proved painful. I can say that I finished the year off well though. In the past 2.5 weeks I've done three 3-milers, one 5 miler, one 8.25 miler and one 7.25 miler. Looking at six runs in 17 days is something I'd have felt was under training just six months ago but to see that I can run at a good clip now and mostly pain free is a relief. I'm leaving two rest days between runs right now regardless of tempo or distance. I haven't lost much cardio as I've kept busy in the pool and on the bike. Anyway, didn't make the Marathon I targeted but 2015 is a new year. I should be starting my race season with a half in March in NJ. 

Congrats to all who made it through a successful year. I am pleased with my gains and effort, disappointed I didn't get to the end goal. 

On another note: I'm off to get another pair of running shoes today. Pretty stoked to say the least but be out shopping for shoes. Ha ha. I'm thinking of the Brooks GT5 series - my road running buddies swear by em. 

good job everyone.  My goal for 2015 is for 1,500 miles will no injuries.  I say we do 2015 challenges.  Do maybe overall and monthly challenges(stipulation can't win back to back challenges). 

I will gladly be putting 2014 Vinyl Collective Yearly Running Champ in my sig.

Also a word of warning:

I was convinced by my doctor to take a cortisone shot in my knee to help the swelling in the IT Band. I was in that fraction of 1% that can have an allergic reaction. My leg locked up in spasms and I couldn't keep food down for three days and barely even bland stuff for five. Fever hit 101 and I'll spare the gory details. 

I tried to take the short cut to getting better and into the Marathon and even though I was in a doctors care I knew the pain I was in was going to keep me from it. I was blinded by my desire to follow through on that damn race and it cost me dearly. I know a few of us are nearing 40 so just a fair reminder to us all to heed our bodies.

2014 Goals and Races:

Spring:

Philly Half

Rutgers Half

or

If I am 100% I plan to hit the NJ State Marathon in the Spring but I am keeping this expectation low as I come back from injury. 

Late Spring:

Great Adventure Tri - probably sprint as I get my season moving

Asbury Park Tri

Summer

June: Atlantic City 70.3

Local Races

July: NJ State Tri - Sprint and Olympic on back to back days to challenge myself (representing my fire dept in division)

Local Races Through August (Sprint and Olympic)

Fall

Princeton 70.3 (Need a Redux after the IT Band issue)

November: NYC Marathon - Hell Yeah.

Way to go guys! Sounds like everyone had a pretty good year in 2014 and have some great goals set for 2015.

I set up the yearly running challenge again for 2015, join here:

http://www.endomondo.com/challenges/19706546

I also decided I'll do some monthly challenges and see how those go. I think they'll be a little more competitive and maybe could bring in some new members, but we'll see. Anyway, in January the challenge is Most Workouts, you can join here:

http://www.endomondo.com/challenges/19706609

So this is simply a counter for the number of times you've worked out in January. It can be done biking, hiking, running or walking which includes many variations of those. The allowable sports are listed on the challenge page, if you think something else should be included just let me know!

So go ahead and join now and get 2015 started out right!

EDIT: Also, updated the first post with challenge links and a list of past champions (currently 1 haha). And edited the title to detail the monthly challenge. Maybe more people will join in upon seeing it? I don't know haha

Damn, I talk a lot haha but I wanted to add that if you join a challenge after it has started, it will automatically add any workouts within the challenge time period that were logged on the site. So you can join today and still have all of your runs/workouts from the 1st-4th included in the challenge without doing anything extra.

I started running with friends last year, which was cool, but I stopped carrying my phone when I went so I kind of fell off the radar. 

I can't run outside for months, but I'll hook back up when that happens. I'd like to run a half-marathon this year, that would be further than I've ever ran. In the meantime, I'll just be playing indoor. 

• 2 weeks later...

March 1 Half Marathon in Lincroft, NJ - calling my shot and setting a goal early as I make my way back. Philly half in April. NJ and Philly runners get at me, let's do something together in 2015.

I'm going to be running the Coastal Delaware Half Marathon in Dewey/Rehoboth Beach on May 3rd. Fast, flat course on the beaches of Delaware, you guys should run it too!

I've been upping my cardio game but I can only make a solid 9mph run for like 15mins before I get bored of my music and go over to the weights.....If anyone has any music recommendations it will be greatly appreciated

Also when I run it sounds like the treadmill is squealing in pain :(

Are any of you guys Rachel N Vail? She joined our monthly challenge but not our yearly one, and no one on here mentioned joining so I'm thinking she's not a VCer. I was going to remove her from our challenge but wanted to make sure it wasn't someone on here first.

I've been upping my cardio game but I can only make a solid 9mph run for like 15mins before I get bored of my music and go over to the weights.....If anyone has any music recommendations it will be greatly appreciated

Also when I run it sounds like the treadmill is squealing in pain :(

I think that might be you squealing in pain...?haha joking. But yeah, I usually just cycle through the music I'm currently listening to, whatever's upbeat. Right now I'm listening to Bassnectar's Noise vs Beauty while running and it definitely pumps me up and makes me pick up the pace. Definitely recommended it if you're into that kind of music.

Also, you should join Endomondo and join our challenges. You can manually log your workouts so you can run without using the app, or on a treadmill and still keep track of everything. Goodluck continuing your running!

Ladies and gents: I'm looking for a work-out regime to do inside during the winter. Anyone got any that they like? Currently finishing up a 30 day challenge, with today being 140 squats, 182 crunches, 22 push-ups, 55 second plank and 250 jumping jacks. 2 more days to go

Edit: yes. I'm too tired tonight to read through the entire thread.

Read the weightlifting thread. You shouldn't do 140 squats. It's a strength training exercise. 5 sets of 5 is plenty. Should be adding weight, not reps.

If you're just trying to drop fat then you can do anything that creates a calorie imbalance (running, swimming, elliptical, etc). Diet is way more important than what program you choose. Abs are made in the kitchen, not the gym.

Counting workouts is a dumb idea. Seems like a pretty good way to lead to overtraining. You have to let your body rest.

Read the weightlifting thread. You shouldn't do 140 squats. It's a strength training exercise. 5 sets of 5 is plenty. Should be adding weight, not reps.

If you're just trying to drop fat then you can do anything that creates a calorie imbalance (running, swimming, elliptical, etc). Diet is way more important than what program you choose. Abs are made in the kitchen, not the gym.

Thanks, dude! I eat healthy about 6 days a week....been losing about 1-3 pounds a week on average. I'm not really into getting super ripped, just want to ton up and continue to lose weight. I lost about 33 lbs but gained a bunch back due to stress/life. Down about 20 still.

I'll check out the weight-lifting thread. Thanks again!

Are the squats just body weight squats? Your workout mostly just looks like a cardio routine to me, which is fine. It won't need you much strength but it will burn calories and you'll continue to lose. Do you have a goal weight? How far are you? 

A lot of people advocate to optimize your workouts for weight loss or muscle gain, not both, so knowing where you're at might help? I dunno, I'm spitballin' a bit here, my advice is all based on anecdotal evidence. 

I know I come off as a douche in some of these threads but there is SO much bad advice out there. People get drastically overweight and put themselves in a situation where almost anything that they do differently is going to have a positive effect, then think that they have the have found a solution worth recommending. Doesn't make it the best way to go. Find a program created by someone who knows a lot more than you. Set a calorie goal that fits with your overall goals and stick to it. That's all the planning anyone needs to do.

That's not pointed at anyone. Just generic comments.

Thanks, dude! I eat healthy about 6 days a week....been losing about 1-3 pounds a week on average. I'm not really into getting super ripped, just want to ton up and continue to lose weight. I lost about 33 lbs but gained a bunch back due to stress/life. Down about 20 still.

I'll check out the weight-lifting thread. Thanks again!

Why not get ripped? People who don't lift get huge benefit right out of the gate in terms of strength and physique. The further you go with it, the harder it gets. Take the easy gains. You see what an olympic runner looks like? That what you are going for? Sounds to me like you are working harder instead of smarter. You can get in excellent shape (toned if you prefer) with 3 workouts of week under an hour and a good diet. Hours and hours of cardio leads to your body going catabolic or you overeat to compensate.

Are the squats just body weight squats? Your workout mostly just looks like a cardio routine to me, which is fine. It won't need you much strength but it will burn calories and you'll continue to lose. Do you have a goal weight? How far are you? 

A lot of people advocate to optimize your workouts for weight loss or muscle gain, not both, so knowing where you're at might help? I dunno, I'm spitballin' a bit here, my advice is all based on anecdotal evidence. 

I know I come off as a douche in some of these threads but there is SO much bad advice out there. People get drastically overweight and put themselves in a situation where almost anything that they do differently is going to have a positive effect, then think that they have the have found a solution worth recommending. Doesn't make it the best way to go. Find a program created by someone who knows a lot more than you. Set a calorie goal that fits with your overall goals and stick to it. That's all the planning anyone needs to do.

That's not pointed at anyone. Just generic comments.

Why not get ripped? People who don't lift get huge benefit right out of the gate in terms of strength and physique. The further you go with it, the harder it gets. Take the easy gains. You see what an olympic runner looks like? That what you are going for? Sounds to me like you are working harder instead of smarter. You can get in excellent shape (toned if you prefer) with 3 workouts of week under an hour and a good diet. Hours and hours of cardio leads to your body going catabolic or you overeat to compensate.

Hey guys. I started out at 270, now I'm down to 253. At one point I was down to 237, but life happens. I'd like to be down to 210, that's goal.

My main goal is to lose weight and tone up. Mainly looking at toning up my upper body.

This conversation about strength and endurance training is a good one. Is your goal to be a runner? Is it to lose weight and improve appearance? You need to define goals and neither is mutually exclusive. If it's apprarance - sure get ripped, its a good way to be. If you are seeking to be an endurance athlete you need core strength not the bulk. I'm going to reccomend "quick strength for runners" by Horowitz for those in here who want to focus on endurance. A good core is going to improve appearance and reduce risk of injury during a long season. The note about consulting experts is a good one. For those in here that aren't familiar with Velopress I recommend taking a look. They have a ton of endurance books written by top coaches that can help you navigate creating a plan, improving performance, building strength etc.

I'm on a 9 day high intensity cycling challenge right now. I have a 60 day run challenge starting soon so I'll be in here more.

Have we talked about new shoes lately? Ha ha. I have a couple new pairs to review soon but am still breaking them in.