A Thread for Runners - 2016 Yearly Challenge - Most Miles

Hey guys. I started out at 270, now I'm down to 253. At one point I was down to 237, but life happens. I'd like to be down to 210, that's goal.

My main goal is to lose weight and tone up. Mainly looking a toning up my upper body.

What's your diet like? Not general "I eat of a lot of this" answer. What foods, at what times, and how much? How tall are you?

Honestly, I'm trying to give advice and not shit. At 5'10" and 250, you shouldn't need to do anything but fix your diet to drop your 2 pounds a week until you hit 200ish. I can't tell you exactly what the problem is with the detail you gave, but maybe need to be heavier on the green veggies and lighter on the fruits and grains (maybe ditch carbs entirely?). How much is lots of snacking? Yes, small meals help. Doesn't mean you can't have too many of them. Count calories and use a food scale. You should be somewhere around 2000 for steady weight loss. Shouldn't even need the cardio for a while. Diet 5x more important.

At 1900, you are at about a 1000 calorie deficit a day without working out (unless you get zero exercise throughout your normal day). Shouldn't need to workout to lose weight (maybe something really light to preserve muscle mass).

You seem to want to let it go so I will. I'm just coming at this from the lens that when people talk about trying really hard but being unable to lose weight, the problem is almost always diet, not exercise (short of having a serious medical condition).

Hey Guys! Since many people aren't running or active right now, I changed the monthly challenge to be a Winter challenge, which goes through March. So join whenever and get out there! But what do you guys think? Keep it monthly or do it as a winter challenge? 

Also, for those of you not using Endomondo but using other apps instead, Endomondo recommends using this site https://tapiriik.com/to sync your workouts from other sites to Endomondo. So maybe give it a shot and join our challenges!

At 1900, you are at about a 1000 calorie deficit a day without working out (unless you get zero exercise throughout your normal day). Shouldn't need to workout to lose weight (maybe something really light to preserve muscle mass).

You seem to want to let it go so I will. I'm just coming at this from the lens that when people talk about trying really hard but being unable to lose weight, the problem is almost always diet, not exercise (short of having a serious medical condition).

I began eating healthy again about 3.5 weeks ago and have lost 9 lbs. Something I'm doing is working, so I'm just going to keep at it. Switching to a vegan diet has helped a ton.

For what it is worth, I think what Lebowski is saying is you can probably cut back on your current cardio routine and still see nice results. It is sort of a weird workout that could lead to over-training and injury, which I agree with. Were I you I would probably do the following. 

1. Stop working out and just diet with a consistent deficit for 3 or 4 weeks. Personally, I like to get an approximation of what I can burn without exercise as a baseline figure. This will fluctuate with your weight but it still is helpful, at least for me. 

2. Find a cardio routine that has a little more variation and targets more of the body. That way you don't hurt your hamstrings or something doing like a million squats. I know a lot of people will recommend you eat your TDEE and not add extra food on workout days but I prefer to eat around my BMR and just add calories to make-up for the burn of a given session. 

3. Once you're at or near a weight you feel good about start looking at strength programs to get you to whatever definition you desire. No need to get all swole if you ain't trying, but getting stronger means more calories burned by your body, which is obviously a good thing. 

That said, the best diet and exercise plan is the one you can live with. Just be aware of how your body feels on your routine and adjust accordingly. If you are super sore all the time you aren't "really kicking ass and working hard" you are working too hard brother.

• 3 weeks later...

Did a T-25 workout the other day. It kicked my butt pretty good so I decided to start the program from the beginning today. Have any of you guys done it yourself?

I just needed something that I could do during these really cold stretches that didn't cost $$. Can't make myself run in 0 degree weather.

Did a T-25 workout the other day. It kicked my butt pretty good so I decided to start the program from the beginning today. Have any of you guys done it yourself?

I just needed something that I could do during these really cold stretches that didn't cost $$. Can't make myself run in 0 degree weather.

I did it for awhile and saw good results from it. It was still a really tough workout even though it was only 25 minutes. I should probably do it again. Even though we have nice weather here, the videos help keep me motivated and make me work harder. 

Been inactive from endomondo since I got back from my deployment in December.  I just signed in and logged all my february miles. I don't run with a watch, so all the times are arbitrary, but the distances are legit.  I hardly had any time to run while I was deployed, and I'm paying for it now.  My race pace is down significantly from what it was this time last year, but I'm keeping my miles up.  

I've got a 5k I'm going to try and do well on in a couple weeks, and a half marathon on march 21st.

Glad to see everyone's still active in this thread! I'll be around more often too, the motivation helps!

Been inactive from endomondo since I got back from my deployment in December.  I just signed in and logged all my february miles. I don't run with a watch, so all the times are arbitrary, but the distances are legit.  I hardly had any time to run while I was deployed, and I'm paying for it now.  My race pace is down significantly from what it was this time last year, but I'm keeping my miles up.  

I've got a 5k I'm going to try and do well on in a couple weeks, and a half marathon on march 21st.

Glad to see everyone's still active in this thread! I'll be around more often too, the motivation helps!

Good to see you're back and out there running again! It'll come back, with a little work you'll be running your old pace before you know it, I'm sure.

Woke up at 6am yesterday, couldn't sleep.

20 degrees outside so I figure screw it, let's do that half marathon 20 minutes from here. 

Coffee, $50, I'm in.

I haven't run outside since I hurt my knee in September so this made total sense. I set the goal of running slow, 8:30pace start to finish - just be comfortable. Finish with not a second of struggle at 1:53:40 - so 8:40 pace. Slowest I've run in forever and a day BUT that isn't the point - I ran 13 miles pain free. Hell yeah.

Did my four mile recovery run today. Feeling tight in the quads but all in all am happy as can be. Big step forward.