A Thread for Runners - 2016 Yearly Challenge - Most Miles

I joined your endomondo group too - I am not sure how often I will update it but I put in my March runs. If I find a night where I'm bored I'll go back and put in January and Feb but they weren't impressive as I've been running light as I come back from injury.

Sweet! Glad we could finally break you and get you to join!haha You can join the winter, number of workouts, challenge as well if you want. Also, I know you use some other ways of tracking so you could try to see if this site https://tapiriik.com/ will sync whatever you use with endomondo. And there is an import feature if you wanted to export all of your 2015 stuff and then import it into Endomondo instead of hand entering it all.

Anyway, glad to see you joined and congrats on the half! Glad you finished without any pain, and in a pretty solid time even still.

Woke up at 6am yesterday, couldn't sleep.

20 degrees outside so I figure screw it, let's do that half marathon 20 minutes from here. 

Coffee, $50, I'm in.

I haven't run outside since I hurt my knee in September so this made total sense. I set the goal of running slow, 8:30pace start to finish - just be comfortable. Finish with not a second of struggle at 1:53:40 - so 8:40 pace. Slowest I've run in forever and a day BUT that isn't the point - I ran 13 miles pain free. Hell yeah.

Did my four mile recovery run today. Feeling tight in the quads but all in all am happy as can be. Big step forward.

1:53 is still solid. And pain free? Hell yeah. Even better. Glad to see recovery is coming along.

Oh yeah: I am registered for the Philly Love Run on March 29. Anyone from Philly in here? Or anyone regional heading out to it?

10,000 runners and a killer course beginning and ending at the Arts Museum - should be epic. I'm thinking through my goals since I really don't plan to be back to full strength until the end of May according to my rehab/workout plan but I do think going in with some new experience and a higher goal than this past weekend is a good idea. Now I just need to think what that means. 

I'm, like last year, debating doing the Philly Half in September. I'm going to try and push my distances this summer, and do a better job of logging my runs as well. I've never been much for distance, typically topping out around 6 miles in a summer.

But, also like last year, I'm probably looking at another couple months until I'm outside.

I'm, like last year, debating doing the Philly Half in September. I'm going to try and push my distances this summer, and do a better job of logging my runs as well. I've never been much for distance, typically topping out around 6 miles in a summer.

But, also like last year, I'm probably looking at another couple months until I'm outside.

If you're talking about the Rock n Roll Philly that's usually September 21stish, it's on Halloween this year because of the Pope's visit, just a heads up haha  But yeah, I've found that tracking my runs definitely helps keep my motivation up. When you start to see improvements on times and mileage it definitely makes you want to continue to push and do more. Well, at least it does for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got all my 2015 runs into Endomondo. I'm glad to see how off I've been but that I'm ramping up again. Been a long road and can't wait to be 100% again at some point.

Nice! We've got a pretty tight race coming down to the wire this month haha

I ran a 5k Saturday. Was still sick but felt good. PRd at 22:15, cutting 45 seconds off my previous best time. I don't think I've ever raced a 5k before, just ran that distance on my own, racing myself haha

But dude, Ed! What're you up to man?!haha some crazy distance runs of late. Training? Or just enjoying the Florida weather?

Nice! We've got a pretty tight race coming down to the wire this month haha

I ran a 5k Saturday. Was still sick but felt good. PRd at 22:15, cutting 45 seconds off my previous best time. I don't think I've ever raced a 5k before, just ran that distance on my own, racing myself haha

But dude, Ed! What're you up to man?!haha some crazy distance runs of late. Training? Or just enjoying the Florida weather?

I saw that 5k time on endomondo, good job man!

As for me it's come down to training and weather haha.  I've been training for a half marathon, and it's this Saturday.  I feel good after my long runs, but I'm ready to be down with long distance for a while.  After this weekend I'll probably go back to just 5k's and 10k's until at least the fall.

That and I've started running to the beach in the morning to catch the sunrise.  It's become an addiction haha.  I usually just go 2-3 miles but I've caught some amazing sunrises out here.  This was from this morning:

11070767_468451656638660_807153587441020

I don't see where it separates by the Month for us. Fair warning that I have a half on the last weekend so expect a last second spike. I'll be running light mostly after this Wednesday by my training schedule. 

There are 2 separate challenges. One for most mileage for the year, which you're in, and then we decided to start doing monthly challenges as well to keep it a little more competitive (since Josh ran away with it last year, see what I did there haha) The monthly challenge for January was a little slow so we decided to make it a winter challenge, and this is for most workouts, not most miles. Join that one here: https://www.endomondo.com/challenges/19706609.

I saw that 5k time on endomondo, good job man!

As for me it's come down to training and weather haha.  I've been training for a half marathon, and it's this Saturday.  I feel good after my long runs, but I'm ready to be down with long distance for a while.  After this weekend I'll probably go back to just 5k's and 10k's until at least the fall.

That and I've started running to the beach in the morning to catch the sunrise.  It's become an addiction haha.  I usually just go 2-3 miles but I've caught some amazing sunrises out here.  This was from this morning:

Awesome man, good luck this weekend! Is this your first half? Sorry, I can't remember the details of who've run what distances before haha but I thought you stayed in the 5k-10k range.

And I'm super jealous right now, that sunrise is awesome, and I haven't run in just a t-shirt and shorts yet this year haha

I'm trying to get over my extended running break, but I lost all my running fitness :(.  I'm hoping to get back into shape soon and start some races.  I got some goals that I need to break on some races. 

Good Job Everyone!!!

Yeah dude, every time I check the challenge I'm waiting to see your mileage just skyrocket haha

OK - question - are we only logging runs or all workouts? I would blow up the competition if I started adding in all my biking and swimming. Ha ha. I do however see some folks logging things other than running. 

The monthly challenges will be various things, most workouts, most miles, most calories, most active minutes and all activities will count. So yes, feel free to add in those too. If you're being active this winter, they count haha

Here are the options for monthly challenges:

-Most Miles

-Most Workouts

-First to reach X Miles

-Most Calories

-Most Active Minutes

-Fastest X Miles

-Most Miles in 12 minutes

-Farthest in one hour

So we'll do all of these at some point I guess haha I guess I could map them out now...

How's this look:

April - Most Miles

May - Fastest 5k

June - First to reach 30 miles

July - Most active minutes (any sport)

August - Most miles in 12 minutes

September - Farthest in one hour

October - Fastest 5 miles

November - December - Most Calories (any sport)

Let me know what you guys think. I tried to do the any sport challenges in the winter and when it's at its hottest. Also, I want the Fastest X Miles to be a distance everyone will run a couple times a week, or at least every weekend, not something you'll run once a month. The point is to continually push yourself and try to beat your best time. I run at least 5 miles a couple times a week already, so for me it works, but if you think more people would get more out of it if we did 1 mile or 5k again or some other distance, just let me know. For that same reason I'm considering changing September. I don't know how many people will actually get more than a couple runs over 1 hour in a month, again, let me know your thoughts. And the same for first to reach 30 miles, if most of you don't run 30 in a month, it won't be fun so if maybe 20 or something else works better we could change that as well.

Please let me know what you guys think so this will be fun for everyone!

I need to find inspiration - I have like 35 workouts more to log. I might just keep it at running to mirror this thread. I track my workouts on three sites already.

Which sites? If you use Strava or RunKeeper or Garmin or a handful of others, you can use this site to sync them:

tapiriik.com/

I had an issue with duplicates but figured out you can choose which apps each app sends to. So since I track all of my runs in Endomondo I chose to have it send to Strava and Runkeeper. But for Runkeeper and Strava I turned the "send to" options off so it didn't send anything back to Endomondo. Works well though, as far as I've seen.

I mean obviously you can do it however you want, I don't want you to feel like I'm pressuring you, I'm just providing you with options haha

I use

TrainingPeaks - by FAR the best interface and layout FYI.

Strava - my Tri Team requires it.

SlowTwitch - I just did it for a long time and never gave up

Mapmyfitness - my watch just auto links there but I almost never look at it.

Garmin Connect - I never use this either but my Garmin auto connects here

Endomondo - new with you. 

Most of this is out of habit. TrainingPeaks and Strava are the only two I really need. The rest just keep me connected to people I talk to or are auto updates. I need to look at Tapiriik. 

I use

TrainingPeaks - by FAR the best interface and layout FYI.

Strava - my Tri Team requires it.

SlowTwitch - I just did it for a long time and never gave up

Mapmyfitness - my watch just auto links there but I almost never look at it.

Garmin Connect - I never use this either but my Garmin auto connects here

Endomondo - new with you. 

Most of this is out of habit. TrainingPeaks and Strava are the only two I really need. The rest just keep me connected to people I talk to or are auto updates. I need to look at Tapiriik. 

Damn, that's a ton haha  But yeah, check it out. Obviously you'll have to gauge your comfort level with it, but I found it because it was recommended by Endomondo on their forums. But it'll sync TrainingPeaks, Strava, Garmin and Endomondo. So 4 of your 6 haha

Awesome man, good luck this weekend! Is this your first half? Sorry, I can't remember the details of who've run what distances before haha but I thought you stayed in the 5k-10k range.

And I'm super jealous right now, that sunrise is awesome, and I haven't run in just a t-shirt and shorts yet this year haha

I've done a few half's before, but it's been over a year since my last one.  I'm right around the 2 hour mark with each one I've done.  I'd love to break that time eventually, but it's not going to be this weekend.  Not much motivation left, I'm just going to run it with a friend and have fun.

oh and as far as the weather goes, I'm very lucky to live where I do and I definitely appreciate it!  Where I'm at in Florida it still gets kinda cold in the winter, but nothing compared to the rest of the country.  I know I've got it pretty good when even if I have to bundle up to run, I'm still running to the beach to see the sunrise!  

This is the bridge I run over to go to the beach, and this was just a couple weeks ago.  Freezing cold but I was still wearing shorts :)

11021195_10155296644335245_5632917028568

OK - I have in all my cardio work now. I skipped any strength training and for my own convenience I counted two-a-day workouts as one if it was the same activity. So days with a morning and evening ride was counted as one workout despite being two - this was a pain to begin with but I'm sure no one will complain if I keep my workout numbers down. 

On the running front did my final longish run tonight before the Philly half in 10 days. I have plenty of runs to go but nothing above 5 miles. Felt good for the full hour tonight and to hit 7.5 miles with a pretty easy effort felt good. I'm now allowing some expectations to creep in for the race and I'm worried about a let down. 

I went ahead and created all of the challenges for the year so you could sign up for all of them at once instead of having to do it every month. If you're my friend on Endomondo you got invites (sorry for blowing up your notifications/email haha), otherwise you can join here: 

April - Most Miles:

http://www.endomondo.com/challenges/21097298

May - Fastest 5k:

http://www.endomondo.com/challenges/21097340

June - First to reach 30 miles:

http://www.endomondo.com/challenges/21097410

July - Most active minutes (any sport):

http://www.endomondo.com/challenges/21097442

August - Most miles in 12 minutes:

http://www.endomondo.com/challenges/21097501

September - Farthest in one hour:

http://www.endomondo.com/challenges/21097543

October - Fastest 5 miles:

http://www.endomondo.com/challenges/21097562

November - December - Most Calories (any sport):

http://www.endomondo.com/challenges/21097613

If you think they should be changed, like I said before, let me know.

I also updated the first page with this info and will continue to update it with the winners as well.

So my half was yesterday.  I'm pretty sure it was the worst experience of my life.  

I really thought I had trained enough, felt pretty good after my long training runs, but this was something else.  I'm blaming it on it the weather.  The entire course was directly in the sun, and I don't think I've run in that kind of heat all year (high 70's).

The worst part is I really didn't even have a high goal, just wanted to run with friends and have fun, aiming around a 2:10.  I ended up 2:22 and was miserable the entire time!  

I feel pretty defeated, but I'll get over it.  Half of me wants to train harder, come back and kill my next half.  The other half of me wants to never run a half again.  We'll see.  I'm taking a couple days off before hitting the road again.  I don't even want to look at my running shoes right now!

So my half was yesterday.  I'm pretty sure it was the worst experience of my life.  

I really thought I had trained enough, felt pretty good after my long training runs, but this was something else.  I'm blaming it on it the weather.  The entire course was directly in the sun, and I don't think I've run in that kind of heat all year (high 70's).

The worst part is I really didn't even have a high goal, just wanted to run with friends and have fun, aiming around a 2:10.  I ended up 2:22 and was miserable the entire time!  

I feel pretty defeated, but I'll get over it.  Half of me wants to train harder, come back and kill my next half.  The other half of me wants to never run a half again.  We'll see.  I'm taking a couple days off before hitting the road again.  I don't even want to look at my running shoes right now!

Sorry man, definitely a bummer to hear. Sometimes that happens though. My first one I thought I trained enough for and it killed me, felt like crap, didn't get out of bed the entire day and iced my knees all day. Felt awful. When I ran this past fall I trained exactly the same and felt great the whole time and felt fine afterward. Like you said, the heat and other factors probably just threw you off. Take some time off, then get back out there for a fall half!haha

Sorry to hear it man. Sounds like a rough day.

I had one race in June last year that was like this. I actually took the sneakers I wore and exchanged them under the 90 day guarantee I had. It was a ritual purging to put a shit race behind me - I hit the age-group podium in two races that summer after I did this. So much of this is mental. I hope you regroup and get back out there.