A Thread for Runners - 2016 Yearly Challenge - Most Miles

Nice man, goodluck!

Thanks!  I beat my goal with 20:30, but didn't run the race smart at all.  I think if I would have ran the first mile slower and not had to run a mile to the actual start of the race to not miss the start I could have gone sub 20.  Either way I'm happy with it. Finished 8th and 2nd in my age group.

It's been 2 weeks and I finally had a good run after my half. I ran 3 times previously and was really tight which caused some knee discomfort (I definitely should have stretched and rolled a lot more the week after the half but I was in Nashville visiting my sister). But today in the heat and humidity I had a nice 5 mile run, exactly what I've been waiting for, finally haha

First Triathlon of the year at Six Flags in NJ.

10th Overall / 2nd in my age group in the Sprint. 

This is my third time on this course and am honestly pleased with the improvement in my time - I think I beat last years time by 5 minutes which is pretty big in this world. 

Wow, that's awesome Dave. Congrats dude! You're killing it out there, drastic improvement over last year.

Thanks!  I beat my goal with 20:30, but didn't run the race smart at all.  I think if I would have ran the first mile slower and not had to run a mile to the actual start of the race to not miss the start I could have gone sub 20.  Either way I'm happy with it. Finished 8th and 2nd in my age group.

Awesome dude, congrats! Funny story as to why you had to run to the start line? Or just running late?

Wow, that's awesome Dave. Congrats dude! You're killing it out there, drastic improvement over last year.

Awesome dude, congrats! Funny story as to why you had to run to the start line? Or just running late?

Thanks! Nah, nothing funny just running late.  We couldn't find anything about race registration or anything on the race's website we just assumed it would be where the festival and everything was going on.  Obviously, we were wrong. 

Thanks. Oddly, I had a terrible run - couldn't get my legs moving early but I did pull a negative split. Pushed my bike on a hilly course over 22mph which is very fast for me. The swim - I can more or less swim for miles at a time but I'm slow start to finish. Glad that I have areas to improve in the coming two months. 

Ugh, I just registered for a half that is 3 weeks away, all my running pals are running it and pressured me to join in.  I know I will be able to finish it, I had a nice 11 mile long run on Sunday and plan on doing a 13 miler this week before cutting down the week of the half.  I'm going to use the race as just a training run as a fast finish long run.  I won't be near my usual times but hoping to finish sub 1:45:00

Nothing helps like race experience - work on your pacing and set goals that way. Should be fun if you know a bunch of folks doing it. 

I just signed up for a 2.4 mile swimming race in the Navesink River. I mention it because I know I can't compete but I need the experience in the open water so I'm setting pacing goals as opposed to thinking I can move to the front of the pack. People that grew up swimming are so damn impressive. 

Ugh, I just registered for a half that is 3 weeks away, all my running pals are running it and pressured me to join in.  I know I will be able to finish it, I had a nice 11 mile long run on Sunday and plan on doing a 13 miler this week before cutting down the week of the half.  I'm going to use the race as just a training run as a fast finish long run.  I won't be near my usual times but hoping to finish sub 1:45:00

Your "not near usual times" time is my PR time haha but if you know you're not going to compete like usual, have some fun with it. I don't really know how, but do something you don't usually do. Posing for pictures, cheering people on, or maybe volunteer to be a pacer or just something different. Or like Dave said, work on pacing or on improving a specific part of your running.

This is probably a little premature of a self-diagnosis but I feel like I may have a stress fracture in my lower leg? I've had shin splints numerous times before and what has been going on on/off for the last few months does not feel like shin splints. I just got finished taking a break from running from pain/discomfort in my lower leg after upping my miles a little (from 3-4 to 6-7) about a month and a half ago. After about a month or so of not running, I went out this past Monday and ran 2.5 comfortably and felt fine. Yesterday I ran 3.5 a little harder and felt the familiar pain and pressure in my lower shin that goes around my leg and up into my lower calf. The focus of the pressure/pain is on the right side of my left shin. Today it hurts just slightly less than after I finished running yesterday. The last time this happened it took about a week or so of not running until it didn't bother me at all to walk normally. I'm bumming out about it. Any experience/advice with a similar injury?

This is probably a little premature of a self-diagnosis but I feel like I may have a stress fracture in my lower leg? I've had shin splints numerous times before and what has been going on on/off for the last few months does not feel like shin splints. I just got finished taking a break from running from pain/discomfort in my lower leg after upping my miles a little (from 3-4 to 6-7) about a month and a half ago. After about a month or so of not running, I went out this past Monday and ran 2.5 comfortably and felt fine. Yesterday I ran 3.5 a little harder and felt the familiar pain and pressure in my lower shin that goes around my leg and up into my lower calf. The focus of the pressure/pain is on the right side of my left shin. Today it hurts just slightly less than after I finished running yesterday. The last time this happened it took about a week or so of not running until it didn't bother me at all to walk normally. I'm bumming out about it. Any experience/advice with a similar injury?

If the pain is on the outside of the shin (right side of the leg), then chances are good that it isn't a stress fracture. That's not the load bearing side, so it's pretty rare to get a stress fracture there without pretty serious overtraining. The fact that it hurts less today is a really good sign. Probably just inflammation caused by tightness or mild overuse. Rest a day or two and roll out your calf. How old are your shoes? That could be another culprit.

i've only just found this thread and i'm a  regular runner (i used to run 4/5 times a week, now it's twice if i get time) and i consistently ran 23 minute 5k's with the occasional sub 22 and i thought that was pretty good. Turns out it really isn't, i need to up my game!

Nice, welcome! If you're looking for some motivation, or just some fun, you can join our challenges which are linked in the first post. Those are good 5k times for me too haha some dudes in here are crazy fast though

I agree with ntslash but I'm not a fan of seeking medical advice on the internet. From experience you likely are experiencing discomfort from overtraining, inflamation or a minor tweak you didn't realize. Rest, Ice, Elevation - I'm told by a very reliable source that compression is overrated in these cases. Take a good 2-3 days off completely, when you sit down to watch tv put that leg up comfortably and ice it. You aren't going to cause any further damage in the interim even if it is a hairline - the doc is going to say to rest it. If you go back out and the pain shoots up again after proper recovery then hit the Stop button and go to a doctor immediately. 

If the pain is on the outside of the shin (right side of the leg), then chances are good that it isn't a stress fracture. That's not the load bearing side, so it's pretty rare to get a stress fracture there without pretty serious overtraining. The fact that it hurts less today is a really good sign. Probably just inflammation caused by tightness or mild overuse. Rest a day or two and roll out your calf. How old are your shoes? That could be another culprit.

I agree with ntslash but I'm not a fan of seeking medical advice on the internet. From experience you likely are experiencing discomfort from overtraining, inflamation or a minor tweak you didn't realize. Rest, Ice, Elevation - I'm told by a very reliable source that compression is overrated in these cases. Take a good 2-3 days off completely, when you sit down to watch tv put that leg up comfortably and ice it. You aren't going to cause any further damage in the interim even if it is a hairline - the doc is going to say to rest it. If you go back out and the pain shoots up again after proper recovery then hit the Stop button and go to a doctor immediately. 

Appreciate the advice, guys. I've been running in these shoes for about 6 months but I don't have a ton of miles on them. They are starting to show a little wear though. I'm sure a new pair wouldn't hurt at this point. I also should probably get a new arch support, that could be attributing to the problem too. I'm gonna take it easy-ish this weekend but I'll probably end up doing some hiking + biking. Again, thanks for the advice. I'd really like to avoid the doctor but if that's what it comes to, it is what it is. 

Can't say that I have. I guess I didn't really consider that up until you mentioned it.

It's actually pretty crucial. These are not everyday shoes, they are intended to cushion a full body to get maximum performance under unnatural stress. A half size off or a shoe that has the wrong support for your body can be having a big effect. It's worth the extra $20 to get fitted and buy in store as opposed to finding a discount online. I'd recommend you try on a few different brands you are interested and get fitted properly for them so you know where you fall.

I'm probably pretty lucky, but I've been running for 18 years now without ever having been fitted for shoes. I've had some hip injuries, but no stress fractures (and the hip injuries were mostly because I was being stupid with my training). On the flipside, I used to take my athletes to a respected local running store. We had more injuries after they got their new "properly fitted" shoes. It's a bit of a crap shoot. A lot of those running stores will push a certain brand or model even if it isn't right for you. I'm not saying you shouldn't get fitted. Just be careful about it. Most of those running store employees have very little training. I was good friends with a bunch of guys at a few different shoe shops, and I know what their shoe training was like. The ultimate factor is what's comfortable for you, and only you know that.

no problem.  I might be going for one also, but with the heat and humidty I don't know how well it will go.

Yeah it was 94 here yesterday with the humidity, but surprisingly it still went well for me. Thanks for the suggestion, I've never really run like that before but really enjoyed it. Was definitely a challenge, especially the last mile. Knowing I had hit the 4 mile mark and was done running hard made me really want to stop running because I was freaking done haha but once I pushed through the first quarter mile of the cool down it wasn't so bad anymore. I definitely plan to do those more often. 

These were my splits:

Mile 1 - 9:02

Mile 2 - 7:31

Mile 3 - 7:25

Mile 4 - 7:16

Mile 5 - 8:35

So did I do it right? haha That's what I interpreted your suggestion to mean, was I right?

As for the challenge, I ran the 3 middle miles in 22:08 but somehow managed to still only put up a 22:54 5k time haha but it was a minute improvement over my previous best time so I'll take it.