A Thread for Runners - 2016 Yearly Challenge - Most Miles

Looking at the challenges coming up and the one's we've done recently, I'm thinking let's do a most calories challenge. How does that sound to you guys? We don't have one of those until Nov-Dec. I'm open to other suggestions, if you think it sounds good let me know and I'll set it up to start today. Or I can set it up retroactively, so do you want it to start today, or include all workouts this month?

i have decided i am going to get serious about training for the Rochester marathon, which is in early September. Anyone have a training regimen that they can recommend?

I'm at about 4 miles every time I run, which is about 3-4 times per week.

I've used Hal Higdon's plans for 2 half marathons and been very happy with my results. I'd recommend checking out his novice 1 or 2 programs.

I believe I pulled may groin'. About a month ago I got a really intense pain in my right upper thigh after a run. I brushed it off but it hurt for a few days. A week passed and I go out again, same intense pain. I take two weeks off and go today, goddamn pain is back! I swapped my newer shoes to older ones to see if that would help and it didn't. Maybe I need to stretch more. I don't know what to do. I could see a doctor but I imagine all they'll do is tell me to take a break.

I believe I pulled may groin'. About a month ago I got a really intense pain in my right upper thigh after a run. I brushed it off but it hurt for a few days. A week passed and I go out again, same intense pain. I take two weeks off and go today, goddamn pain is back! I swapped my newer shoes to older ones to see if that would help and it didn't. Maybe I need to stretch more. I don't know what to do. I could see a doctor but I imagine all they'll do is tell me to take a break.

Groin pull is pretty rare for a runner, especially a distance runner. Were you doing something else like playing basketball when you first felt it? Could be a hip flexor strain. Where exactly is the pain?

Do any of you guys have a Magellan Echo watch? I always run with my phone and track using endo, but I'd like to know my current pace, distance etc. The echo is essentially a bluetooth display, which syncs to your phone and displays your run data and allows you to change your music as well. It is not a gps watch, just a display, which is really all that I'm looking for. My wife uses RunKeeper and they have a 30% off deal right now which brings it to a grand total, including shipping, of $56. For that price it's pretty much a no brainer for me to try it, but I want to make sure endo works with it first. Anyone have one? Have you tried it with endo, or would you be wiling to test it out for me?

Also, if anyone else is interested in purchasing one, let me know and I'll hit you with links and the code!

I have a tom Tom multisport w HR built in. I dig it. I have an old garmin I'd sell cheap if interested.

I really like the idea of still tracking with my phone, not the watch, but using the watch to display stats. But I'd definitely consider it, what kind of watch is it? I'll look into and might be interested.

I'm at about 4 miles every time I run, which is about 3-4 times per week.

Now remind me: when is the race.

4-5 runs a week is good but the overall volume is low if the race is soon. Let's add out te weeks and all point to plans that make sense from our favorite coach/writers

Yeah,  Dave is correct about this.  You really need to do a long run every week.  Now are all these runs the same pace or are you mixing it up?  I think you really need to start increasing your weekly mileage (safely) and including a long run.

I got a bit lost on my run this morning. I tried a new route and ended up nowhere near where I thought I was going to be. Basically, I turned the wrong way and thought I was going south but was actually going north. Stupid clouds covering the sunrise!

On the bright side, I ended up logging my first half marathon on my brand new GPS watch. It was the longest run I've done in 5 years. We'll see if I can walk tomorrow!

Dude Josh, I was scrolling through my feed on endo and our Sunday runs were back to back and I realized we went out a half hour apart from each other, ran the same distance and finished 3 seconds apart from one another, just thought that was pretty crazy haha 6.24 in 53:05 and 6.25 in 53:08. So pretty much the same exact distance and time on the same day, unplanned haha

Dude Josh, I was scrolling through my feed on endo and our Sunday runs were back to back and I realized we went out a half hour apart from each other, ran the same distance and finished 3 seconds apart from one another, just thought that was pretty crazy haha 6.24 in 53:05 and 6.25 in 53:08. So pretty much the same exact distance and time on the same day, unplanned haha

Ha ha, that is pretty crazy.

Did a sprint Tri as my final tune-up for the challenge Atlantic City 70.3.

Nasty morning but took 9th overall and 2nd age group. Good part: pushed my bike into the wind well. Bad: another weak-ish run off the bike. Averaged 7:25 but thought I'd do better. All in all no complaints as it was a solid effort.

Did a sprint Tri as my final tune-up for the challenge Atlantic City 70.3.

Nasty morning but took 9th overall and 2nd age group. Good part: pushed my bike into the wind well. Bad: another weak-ish run off the bike. Averaged 7:25 but thought I'd do better. All in all no complaints as it was a solid effort.

Nice man! when is the AC 70.3?

The 70.3 was very hard. It's a tough distance and I felt like I trained better than what the results show - I lost the mental war as well as dealing with calf spasms on the last five miles of the run. But we learn from even our weaker efforts. I've had a lot of positive results so let's share what I consider a weak one.

5:40:00 - I went in with no real goal since I've only done 70.3 once before. I beat my previous time by 45 minutes but I thought I could get below 5:30:00.

The swim was slow - my slowest of the season actually. I did the 1.2 miles in 38 minutes. There was a current that kept times high but even so I was off by 3-6 minutes of what I wanted. First mental strike. 

The bike - I got off to a a great start and kept it going almost the entire way through. I was averaging over 21.5 MPH and nearing 22 at mile 55.5 (this is blazing fast for me considering last year my best 56 mile ride averaged 19.3 MPH). It was then that I flatted. Now, it should have been a half mile back to transition so I just decided to ride the flat a half mile. Well, no one announced the bike course was actually 58 miles. I lost time, I was bummed about possibly damaging my rim etc etc etc - I succumbed to the thing I train to avoid: mental weakness. I took myself entirely out of the game at this point and never really got back in.

I was pissed heading onto the run course. With the sun starting to beat down, no shade and 13 miles ahead I withered far more than I expected. I thought I'd do the run around 1:50:00 and came in at 2:10:00. Those last five miles I was getting spasms in my right calf that forced me to walk for 15 secs here and there to calm it down. 

I crossed the finish line and got emotional. I worked really damn hard and am stoked I finished yet with a bit of disappointment. I came in around the top third of the field but so far off from what I worked towards. I said to myself "I'm not cut out for this distance and don't want to do it again."

On Monday I was on my couch in recovery mode doing some work when I clicked a new tab and started looking to next Spring for another shot at 70.3. So maybe I didn't lose the entire mental war and can come back another day. 

I start working out again tomorrow. I gave myself three full days to rest where I just did some walking to stay loose. I have a big race weekend July 18/19 when I am doing triathlons back to back days. I need to sharpen up again and get back to  it. 

It's finally July! The new challenge is most active minutes, any sport. It's been almost 4 weeks, but to refresh your memory Nathan pulled off the first to 30 Miles in a mere 5 days haha

I ran a 5k on Sunday, my wife convinced me to run it last minute while we were on vacation. I looked at the results for last year before the race and realized my PR time would have finished first in my age group out of 7 or so. So winning my age group was my goal. I ran a PR of 21:29 (which I am stoked about) and did finish in first in my age group. Then I realized I was the only person in my age group...haha Kind of disappointing, but I'm confident that time could have won it even if there were more people. I finished 11th out of 202, so definitely happy with my performance. It was my wife's first race in 8 years, she just started running again a month ago (after years of not running) and hadn't run more than 2 miles prior to the race. She finished 3rd in her age group out of 9, and did very well. So we both got some sweet glasses and were up on "the podium" (it was on the beach, no actual podium) together, definitely a fun day.

The 70.3 was very hard. It's a tough distance and I felt like I trained better than what the results show - I lost the mental war as well as dealing with calf spasms on the last five miles of the run. But we learn from even our weaker efforts. I've had a lot of positive results so let's share what I consider a weak one.

5:40:00 - I went in with no real goal since I've only done 70.3 once before. I beat my previous time by 45 minutes but I thought I could get below 5:30:00.

It's really awesome that you were able to cut 45 minutes off of your time, that's a feat in itself. I understand being disappointed when you had a specific time in mind but you did really well, and like you said, it's definitely a learning experience for next time.