A Thread for Runners - 2016 Yearly Challenge - Most Miles

Ran my first road race since 2009 today. I was hoping for about 17 minutes for the 5k. I finished in 15:35, but the course was only 2.94 miles. Really disappointing when you pay $30 for a race and they can't even get the distance right.

That's amazing, congrats dude! Bummer they couldn't get the course right though...very weird. 

I ran a 5k on Sunday, my wife convinced me to run it last minute while we were on vacation. I looked at the results for last year before the race and realized my PR time would have finished first in my age group out of 7 or so. So winning my age group was my goal. I ran a PR of 21:29 (which I am stoked about) and did finish in first in my age group. Then I realized I was the only person in my age group...haha Kind of disappointing, but I'm confident that time could have won it even if there were more people. I finished 11th out of 202, so definitely happy with my performance. It was my wife's first race in 8 years, she just started running again a month ago (after years of not running) and hadn't run more than 2 miles prior to the race. She finished 3rd in her age group out of 9, and did very well. So we both got some sweet glasses and were up on "the podium" (it was on the beach, no actual podium) together, definitely a fun day.

Congrats on the PR and congrats to both you and the wife for getting on the podium!

Only person in your age group out of 202? That's crazy. How were the age groups divided?

I'm struggling to get my legs back after that race. Not sure if I'm fatigued, unmotivated or what. I need some inspiration and the humidity is not helping on that front. 

What's your next race?

When my legs are feeling really dead, I do 2 or 3 consecutive days of super easy runs (l'm talking 30-60 seconds slower per mile than a usual easy day). These runs feel a bit uncomfortable at first, but I can usually shake off that sluggish feeling by the third mile. I also recommend ice baths (waist deep, no colder than 45 degrees, no longer than 15 minutes). Other than lots of sleep, liquids, and good calories, I don't have much else. I have a friend who swears by beet juice, but I've never tried it.

Good luck! 

July 18 and 19 I race Tri's. I feel like I'll find it on race day if not sooner. I actually plan to focus more on rest. This week I needed to push my training but will do a bit more tapering than originally planned. I also plan to avoid doing more than two morning workouts. I haven't slept past 5:45 this week so I rest is part of the problem. 

Thanks for your perspective. 

• 2 weeks later...

Looking for some help planning out my training. I have a 10k coming up and a 10 miler two weeks later. Wanting to rest before both but also get the proper mileage in kind of has me confused as to how to train for it. This is what I'm thinking, any thoughts/advice would be appreciated!

Week       Mon      Tue       Wed         Thu          Fri          Sat

20-Jul    5 m run   Rest   5 m pace    Rest     8 m run      Rest

27-Jul    5 m run   Rest   5 m pace    Rest     8 m run      Rest

3-Aug    5 m run   Rest   5 m pace    Rest     9 m run      Rest

10-Aug  5 m run   Rest   5 m pace    Rest    10 m run     Rest

17-Aug  5 m run   Rest   5 m pace    Rest     8 m run      Rest

24-Aug  5 m run   Rest   Rest          3 m run    Rest     10K Race

31-Aug  5 m run   Rest   5 m pace    Rest     5 m run      Rest

7-Sep    3 m run   Rest   Rest          2 m run    Rest      10 Miler

Is your 5m pace day an even effort at 10m race pace?

I'd recommend varying your distances and paces more. Variance in your workouts will make a big difference on race day.

Are you open to doing more than 3 runs any of those weeks? What are your racing goals? Are you shooting for a specific time?

I'd be happy to map out a training plan for you.

Is your 5m pace day an even effort at 10m race pace?

I'd recommend varying your distances and paces more. Variance in your workouts will make a big difference on race day.

Are you open to doing more than 3 runs any of those weeks? What are your racing goals? Are you shooting for a specific time?

I'd be happy to map out a training plan for you.

I'd definitely be open to having you put a plan together! haha Right now I'm running 5 miles, 3x a week and when I have time I make one of those runs somewhere between 10k & 8.5 miles. So I just kept with that and was trying to figure out how to change up the long runs. And when I put pace, what I really meant was just a hard effort. My plan was to push myself with those Wednesday runs and go more for speed. As far as goals I don't really have any haha I've never run a 10 miler before and I'm kind of just doing it for fun so I was thinking I'd like to be able to do it at the pace I ran my half in the spring, but just kind of going in open minded and not putting a number on it really.

As far as more runs in a week, that's going to be really tough for me because of our schedule for the rest of the summer. But if they're shorter runs then I could be open to it.

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats to gentlemanjerseyDave on winning the July challenge for most active minutes! Nathan finally gets knocked off!haha you had a good streak going. August's challenge is most miles in 12 minutes. This should be a fun one so get out there and push yourself! Goodluck!

Way to go Dave!

Question on the August challenge. My data doesn't seem to be pulling. It says I have no applicable workouts. Any ideas?

Edit: Everything seems to be coming through now. Not sure what happened. 

Way to go Dave!

Question on the August challenge. My data doesn't seem to be pulling. It says I have no applicable workouts. Any ideas?

I looked at it and Dave's and Josh's info wasn't showing up either so I changed the challenge type and changed it back it that seems to have fixed it. Must've just been a weird glitch but it should be good now.

Not to be a total jerk but I actually had a very down month in terms of training hours because I raced so much so it had taper and recovery time all over the place. I am pretty pleased that I came out of an intensive race cycle feeling so good. 

I'm back to a run focus with 12 weeks to go until my first marathon - hit 36 miles last week for the first time in a while and plan to do about the same this week before going above 40 next. I'm eyeing September and early October Halfs as warm ups. 

Good stuff all - stay hydrated, it is wicked out there right now. Keep thinking about October! 

• 3 weeks later...

Anybody ever have Plantar Fasciitis, or maybe Heel Burcitis?

During and after running the back of my heel is super sore.  For days after it'll hurt moderately bad when I start walking after sitting for a little bit.  It's worst in the morning when I just get up.

Curious if any of y'all had this and have any remedies.

Anybody ever have Plantar Fasciitis, or maybe Heel Burcitis?

During and after running the back of my heel is super sore.  For days after it'll hurt moderately bad when I start walking after sitting for a little bit.  It's worst in the morning when I just get up.

Curious if any of y'all had this and have any remedies.

I had plantar fasciitis for a couple months a few years ago. Lots of stretching is the best cure. This also helps: http://thesock.com/