A Thread for Runners - 2016 Yearly Challenge - Most Miles

I ran a 4 mile run in Central Park this morning. Have been getting back into running over the past month or two. I entered the lottery for the nyc marathon and didn't get in for about the 5th time so I'm going to run the 9 qualifiers to get in next year. I joined the challenge group. Been keeping track of my runs with fitbit, but a challenge sounds like fun.

Sweet! Welcome to the group haha we're happy to get more runners in the challenges. Keep us updated on how all of the qualifying runs are going and goodluck!

I ran a 4 mile run in Central Park this morning. Have been getting back into running over the past month or two. I entered the lottery for the nyc marathon and didn't get in for about the 5th time so I'm going to run the 9 qualifiers to get in next year. I joined the challenge group. Been keeping track of my runs with fitbit, but a challenge sounds like fun.

O and join our other challenges. The yearly one and all of the other monthly ones are already set up and in the first post.

Nice weather bump. Felt like a cat locked indoors yesterday at the office - I sat by an open window thinking how much I'd rather be outside running. I might be living life wrong.

The odd part about it is that even with the nicer weather I doing 90% of my running/cycling indoors. I've had a frightening number of friends and training partners hit by cars int he past two years and it's mentally taken a toll. I feel like the more I'm out the more my odds are increasing. I've been scoping out parks with good loops near me and I'm grateful to be only five miles from Sandy Hook State Park which has limited traffic for cycling. I'll be out on the road plenty but safety is becoming more and more important to me. 

Speaking of NYC Jess - I ran five miles last week along the Hudson. Something so cool about seeing the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island at sunset with a little Jawbreaker blasting in your ears. Perfect moment. 

I'm 10 days out from the NJ Half Marathon. My volume and training plan in the run up is set. This should be my last strictly running race until the Fall and the homestretch to the NYC Marathon. 

Keep Safe - Hope all is well out there. 

We've been in the high fifties here!! I've done two road runs this year, but I haven't logged any. My wife has been running with me and it is her first time back out since giving birth so we are doing really short distances and pretty slow paces.

I might start logging again in May if the challenge isn't distance based. I play soccer too often to train with long runs. 

So, about that playlist discussion, are people on Spotify? Share some of your workout lists!

I might start logging again in May if the challenge isn't distance based. I play soccer too often to train with long runs. 

Well you're in luck, May is fastest 5k. Perfect for getting you back inside and warm quicker haha

I've only just started to try this whole running thing, usually I just go to the gym.

Can do 3 miles (5K?) before my body decides it has enough. If I ever get past this then I may join in a couple of months.

You can still join, it could help with motivating you to get out there and run. Plus tracking is nice for progress monitoring and those things.

O and join our other challenges. The yearly one and all of the other monthly ones are already set up and in the first post.

I'll definitely get on joining them!

Speaking of NYC Jess - I ran five miles last week along the Hudson. Something so cool about seeing the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island at sunset with a little Jawbreaker blasting in your ears. Perfect moment. 

I'm 10 days out from the NJ Half Marathon. My volume and training plan in the run up is set. This should be my last strictly running race until the Fall and the homestretch to the NYC Marathon. 

Keep Safe - Hope all is well out there. 

Dave, definitely, really nice view.  Sounds like an awesome moment/run! Running along the Hudson is great.  I used to drive quite often to run a in liberty state park and now that I live in Hoboken I get to run along the hudson daily.  

I ran a 5k this morning instead of doing RSD. Priorities.

I hit up a few stores today and just went out for a quick two mile run as the sun finished setting and it cooled off a bit.  I'm running a half marathon in central park tomorrow, I'm just hoping to find a little space during the run. Last week the 4 miler I did in central park was suuuuper packed.  Hope everyone is enjoying the nicer weather!

Even after getting up at 4am I found 5.65 miles in me today. I am working on new courses and ran 1.6 miles to a park with some trail loops. It was pleasant to be off the roads entirely for a good 2.5 miles of the run today. What a day - flawless - perfect - just stunning.

I'm lucky to have miles of trails by my house. And it only takes about 30 seconds to get to them. Hardly any roads for me!

Completed that MORE/FITNESS/SHAPE women's half-marathon on Sunday. Finished at 1:49:49 which I was pleasantly surprised with.  2 out of my 9 qualifiers completed!

Nice work! No shame in that time whatsoever. 

I'm a few days out of the NJ Half Marathon down in Long Branch. Had a few miles planned last night but am feeling a bit off in my shitty knee so I took the night off for some rest. I'm scaling back my plans to stay loose and will be doing a couple more 25 minute runs to just keep the body feeling right. 

Completed that MORE/FITNESS/SHAPE women's half-marathon on Sunday. Finished at 1:49:49 which I was pleasantly surprised with.  2 out of my 9 qualifiers completed!

Congrats. That's awesome.

Did my first road run of the year. Still a little chilly at 52 but it was fine really. 5k at 25 minutes. I'm cool with it.

Congrats dude. What's your next race?

Nice work! No shame in that time whatsoever. 

I'm a few days out of the NJ Half Marathon down in Long Branch. Had a few miles planned last night but am feeling a bit off in my shitty knee so I took the night off for some rest. I'm scaling back my plans to stay loose and will be doing a couple more 25 minute runs to just keep the body feeling right. 

Good luck Dave. What's your goal?

Also - I signed up for a 400m race in a few weeks. I am typically a distance type guy.

Any tips? I'm gonna try and throw interval 400 runs once or twice a week until then. Anything else?

Grant - I have decided to not set goals any more for my distance running races. I did a 1:43:40 last time out so let's say I'm targeting that 1:45:00 range. I'm moving faster at the moment but you never know what conditions to expect. I am however working on my race day mix and the goal there is pure awesomeness. 

400m is a weird race. Why would you sign up for a 400m? That's like Track shit.

I'm not sure how I'd train for it since it is more of sprint. I'd probably run a bunch of short interval sets or exercises. 50m to 100m to 200m to just sort of get your body used to going hard like that? Good luck man.

I'm going to do another 5k in a few weeks but probably with my wife and definitely with my daughter in the jogger so time won't be much to talk about. A lot of the races are Saturday and I have soccer on Saturday mornings so I don't have much left in the afternoon.

400m is a weird race. Why would you sign up for a 400m? That's like Track shit.

I'm not sure how I'd train for it since it is more of sprint. I'd probably run a bunch of short interval sets or exercises. 50m to 100m to 200m to just sort of get your body used to going hard like that? Good luck man.

I'm going to do another 5k in a few weeks but probably with my wife and definitely with my daughter in the jogger so time won't be much to talk about. A lot of the races are Saturday and I have soccer on Saturday mornings so I don't have much left in the afternoon.

The Atlanta Track Club has something called the Grand Prix this year. Its a set of 12 races of varying distances. So far I've done an 8k and a 5k. Next up is a 400m, and then a mile. Both of which I haven't ever ran.

It's kind of strange, but I like the challenge. On a side note: I broke my 5k PR this past weekend at the Grand Prix event (21:56 - nothing crazy).

Here's info if anyone's curious:

http://www.atlantatrackclub.org/grand-prix-rules

The Atlanta Track Club has something called the Grand Prix this year. Its a set of 12 races of varying distances. So far I've done an 8k and a 5k. Next up is a 400m, and then a mile. Both of which I haven't ever ran.

It's kind of strange, but I like the challenge. On a side note: I broke my 5k PR this past weekend at the Grand Prix event (21:56 - nothing crazy).

Here's info if anyone's curious:

http://www.atlantatrackclub.org/grand-prix-rules

That actually sounds pretty sweet, I think something like that would be a lot of fun.

Got an injury question: Been training for a half for 11 weeks now, it's next Sunday. Everything has been going really well and then last night during a 5 mile run my Achilles started hurting me out of no where. My long run last weekend was 11 miles and I was planning on scaling it down to 8 or 9 this weekend and then some short runs next week leading up to the race. The Achilles is definitely still bothering me so I'm skipping my run today, will ice it today and tomorrow and then Saturday is my long run. I'm trying to figure out if I should still try to do 9 miles or if I should just run something short and easy to prevent it from getting worse. I've already run 11 miles and 10 miles twice so I feel comfortable with the distance, but I don't know what to do at this point. Any thoughts/suggestions?

Have you already done 9-11 mile runs? Seriously, there is no need to do a run that long a week or week and a half before a run.

First, you've put the time in so have some confidence that you've trained right. Second, if your body is aching then rest and ice - again, you've put the training in.

People like us tend to think we have to stuff in some last second prep like we are studying for a Biology final. The body is resiliant but if it's aching then take the rest and work on your mental preparation for the race. Feeling 100% is more likely going to lead to a new personal best than adding in one more 10-mile run and having a shitty achilles come race day.

A coach told me these simple words two years ago and it is a mantra I always come back to: Trust Your Training. 

If you've trained, you'll be set. Good luck.

Have you already done 9-11 mile runs? Seriously, there is no need to do a run that long a week or week and a half before a run.

First, you've put the time in so have some confidence that you've trained right. Second, if your body is aching then rest and ice - again, you've put the training in.

People like us tend to think we have to stuff in some last second prep like we are studying for a Biology final. The body is resiliant but if it's aching then take the rest and work on your mental preparation for the race. Feeling 100% is more likely going to lead to a new personal best than adding in one more 10-mile run and having a shitty achilles come race day.

A coach told me these simple words two years ago and it is a mantra I always come back to: Trust Your Training. 

If you've trained, you'll be set. Good luck.

Yeah, my last 4 long runs have been 11, 10, 10 and 9 miles and I've felt really good about my training up to this point. I'm going to take your advice and trust my training and take some time off. Thanks for the advice and words of wisdom!