UK Record Store List

Hi

Sorry if I'm just reiterating what has already been mentioned in the main record store list topic.

Just thought it would be helpful for whoever lives in or outside the UK to have a topic to flick through if they know jack about the vinyl hot spots in whatever area they are travelling to.

Just a few in my nearest city of Birmingham:

- Left For Dead, Custard Factory, Digbeth, Birmingham, B9 4AA

- Milque & Muhle, Unit 6 Gibb Street, Birmingham, B9 4AA

- Ignite Record Store (downstairs inside the Oasis market) 110-114, Corporation Street, Birmingham, B4 6SX

All of the above have a broad quality stock and aren't focused on second hand. Milque & Muhle is great for experimental music. Ignite more so with hardcore. Left For Dead has only been open 2/3 months tops but has some great garage rock and electronic music. All are within a year or so of being open.

- The Diskery, 99 Bromsgrove Street, Birmingham, B5 6QB

If you want a good ol' dig in a classic record store then head to the above. Got a shabby homely vibe to it and is the mecca of all second hand record shops in the Midlands. All other second hand shops in the area don't seem to be worth it.

If anyone else feels inclined, give a run down of your local area and anywhere worth checking out. Cheers

Nice one for starting this thread Chem-farmer,  I for one will surely find it useful.

Here are a couple of stores that I hit up regularly in South Wales.

Spillers Records (Cardiff) - The oldest record shop in the world!  Not the biggest selection of vinyl,  but there's usually something to interest me.  Only new vinyl stocked, no used.  Very friendly and knowledgeable staff.

Kelly's Records (Cardiff) - Upstairs in Cardiff Market.  Massive selection of used vinyl.  Lots of rarities, and loads of bargains to be had.

D'Vinyl (Cardiff) - In the student area, Cathays.  One for the crate-diggers.  A real treasure trove of used vinyl and tapes, although its probably the least organised shop I've ever been to!  Records stacked in piles, and boxes everywhere, be ready to spend a few hours there!   Run by a very friendly chap, well priced too.  

Diverse Music (Newport) - If you want new releases, this is the place to go.  The store is 90% vinyl and 10% cd's.  Most new releases are stocked.   They do have some used also.

Derricks Records (Swansea) - Small selection of new vinyl.  I don't really bother with this store unless I am in Swansea.

Hope this info is of use to someone!

Just a few in my nearest city of Birmingham:

- Left For Dead, Custard Factory, Digbeth, Birmingham, B9 4AA

- Milque & Muhle, Unit 6 Gibb Street, Birmingham, B9 4AA

- Ignite Record Store (downstairs inside the Oasis market) 110-114, Corporation Street, Birmingham, B4 6SX

My local stores too! I feel pretty spoilt in B'ham for record stores.

Nice one for starting this thread Chem-farmer,  I for one will surely find it useful.

Here are a couple of stores that I hit up regularly in South Wales.

Spillers Records (Cardiff) - The oldest record shop in the world!  Not the biggest selection of vinyl,  but there's usually something to interest me.  Only new vinyl stocked, no used.  Very friendly and knowledgeable staff.

Kelly's Records (Cardiff) - Upstairs in Cardiff Market.  Massive selection of used vinyl.  Lots of rarities, and loads of bargains to be had.

D'Vinyl (Cardiff) - In the student area, Cathays.  One for the crate-diggers.  A real treasure trove of used vinyl and tapes, although its probably the least organised shop I've ever been to!  Records stacked in piles, and boxes everywhere, be ready to spend a few hours there!   Run by a very friendly chap, well priced too.  

Diverse Music (Newport) - If you want new releases, this is the place to go.  The store is 90% vinyl and 10% cd's.  Most new releases are stocked.   They do have some used also.

Derricks Records (Swansea) - Small selection of new vinyl.  I don't really bother with this store unless I am in Swansea.

Hope this info is of use to someone!

I'm in South Wales too. Just to add to the above:

Hot Wax (Cardiff) - nice store with nice prices. Good variety of stuff but doesn't seem to be a lot of stock turnover. I've found some great stuff here though, worth a look.

"The Record Shop" (Cardiff) - Think this is the name? Round the corner from DVinyl. Only open on Thurs/Fri/Sat. Mostly junk but have found some good bargains in here. Great if you like soundtracks, not so much if you're after niche stuff.

Kriminal Records (Newport) - brilliant small market stall in Newport market. Great punk and metal selection, plus huge bargain section.

Retro-Vibe Music (Barry) - new(ish) shop with a good variety of stuff, but some things are too expensive for their worth. Got a couple of great Hawkwind and folk things here in the past.

Ed's Attic (Caerphilly) - Relatively new stall in the indoor market, only been a handful of times. Seems pricey but nice selection of stuff you might not see elsewhere (got a Spanish pressing of New Values by Iggy Pop here).

Second Time Around (Tonypandy) - really great small shop (only open Fri and Sat I think). Usually lots of reductions and sales and the owner is a great guy.

Just adding a few more (EDIT) :

Tangled Parrot (Carmarthen)

Slipped Discs (Carmarthen)

Andy's Records (Aberystwyth)

I'm in South Wales too. Just to add to the above:

Hot Wax (Cardiff) - nice store with nice prices. Good variety of stuff but doesn't seem to be a lot of stock turnover. I've found some great stuff here though, worth a look.

"The Record Shop" (Cardiff) - Think this is the name? Round the corner from DVinyl. Only open on Thurs/Fri/Sat. Mostly junk but have found some good bargains in here. Great if you like soundtracks, not so much if you're after niche stuff.

Kriminal Records (Newport) - brilliant small market stall in Newport market. Great punk and metal selection, plus huge bargain section.

Retro-Vibe Music (Barry) - new(ish) shop with a good variety of stuff, but some things are too expensive for their worth. Got a couple of great Hawkwind and folk things here in the past.

Ed's Attic (Caerphilly) - Relatively new stall in the indoor market, only been a handful of times. Seems pricey but nice selection of stuff you might not see elsewhere (got a Spanish pressing of New Values by Iggy Pop here).

Second Time Around (Tonypandy) - really great small shop (only open Fri and Sat I think). Usually lots of reductions and sales and the owner is a great guy.

Just adding a few more (EDIT) :

Tangled Parrot (Carmarthen)

Slipped Discs (Carmarthen)

Andy's Records (Aberystwyth)

Nice one mate,   hadn't heard of a lot of these !    I guess we're quite lucky in South Wales really.   Never seems to be any fairs going on though (not that I know of anyway).

Forgot to mention:

Ghost Town Records - Cardiff, Fashion Quarter.   Market stall, lots of punk/metal.   Very reasonable prices, I've even walked out with free records.  Nice guy.   Only open some afternoons, always check the FB page to be sure.

Nice one mate,   hadn't heard of a lot of these !    I guess we're quite lucky in South Wales really.   Never seems to be any fairs going on though (not that I know of anyway).

Forgot to mention:

Ghost Town Records - Cardiff, Fashion Quarter.   Market stall, lots of punk/metal.   Very reasonable prices, I've even walked out with free records.  Nice guy.   Only open some afternoons, always check the FB page to be sure.

Yeah we are pretty lucky around here! Ghost Town is good but it's a bit limited IMO. Still, nice small place that I try to visit when I can.

Also keep an eye on http://www.custardbox.co.uk/record-fairs.html - fairs can be quite regular around here (great one in Penarth on Sunday) but there can be a month or two with nothing.

Also definitely worth a trip down to the Bristol Colston Hall fairs - three floors and lots of great stuff.